Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Dirty rear end!

3K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  RocketSled 
#1 ·
I've had my Z for about 3 months now, and besides being a speed freak, I'm a clean freak too. What is it about these cars that makes the rear of the car so dirty everytime I take it out on a drive! I suppose those rear vents have some aerodynamic purpose to them, but damn...and those tailights...a great collector of dirt too! Oh, and don't forget around the license plate area too! I wish I could have seen the videos when GM was designing the C5 in the wind tunnels, to see the smoke pattern our car makes...I visualize swirling air coming up from the rear vents like an F-16 on afterburners!

Quick question: are the vents on the front fender funtional? Do they vent hot air from the engine bay?

#2 · (Edited)
GM did indeeed design the rear fascia area in the wind tunnel.The short stubby rear end with the diffusers channels most of the drag into downforce to the rear of the car.I have noticed the same dirty rears on almost every car I've owned.Carry some diapers and quick detail spray.
The side vents are for aerodynics to vent air from under the car,to keep it from lifting at speed.They were first introduced in 63 and have been a Corvette styling standard since.
Oh and Welcome to the site :z:

#3 ·
Thanks Z06 Greg! Yeah, I tried shining a flashlight in those side vents trying to see where it leads to with no success :)

Gotta say, I traded in my 83 Porsche 911 for my Z and haven't looked back since. The 911 kinda floated at speed, and the Z just seems to stay planted. Around corners, no comparison...I can steer with one hand and talk on the cell with the other in turns that my 911 would give me white knuckles and heart palpitations!!

#5 ·
My rear end is dirty right now. :cen:
Mainly because my stupid neighbors keep blowing their grass clippings into the street. :mad: :mad: :mad:

#7 ·
i think i read somewhere that due to the material of construction of the rear end, it statically attracts dust. u could try using a anti-static sheet (like from laundry) and rub down the back lightly...this is what i heard..never tried my self...i just wipe her down after every drive...

Welcome to the forum man!
Aj

#11 ·
Welcome to the site:z:

Minor little thing considering the horses that are just a right foot away from the go pedal.
Yes, the dust is pain that accumulates on the rear. But usually, only a few cars are capable of getting close enough to notice while cruising.:D

Jack

#12 ·
Yep, one drive is all it takes to ruin a days worth of cleaning. Between the carbon collection on the rear end, brake dust all over the wheels, and dirt slinging off the wheels onto the sides - it's a constant labor of love. Get used to keeping the Meguiars Quick Detailer handy.

#13 ·
You think you have problems. "My" hygiene problem is near permanent.
I live down 3/4 of a mile of dirt road. No, this is AZ. It's a dusty road.
And up 100 yards of driveway overlaid with 3/4 in. stones to avoid washout.
12 months, 13,000 miles since new.
I only go to show and shines to "observe". :lol:
Handles the mountain roads pretty well though, even when dirty.

#15 ·
Big Red Machine said:
To keep the taillight area a little cleaner , install the flush mount rear taillight kit sold by some of the fine vendors to the left hand side of your screen. No more dust piles in your lights !

There was also a very neat fix posted here, with a weather stripping available from Lowes, a search may find the post. The weatherstrip seals the gab between fascia and tail light and is pretty well invisable to the eye.

I haven't used it yet but I am going to as I am on a short dusty gravel road every time I drive.

#16 ·
Retired GM Engr said:
You think you have problems. "My" hygiene problem is near permanent.
I live down 3/4 of a mile of dirt road. No, this is AZ. It's a dusty road.
And up 100 yards of driveway overlaid with 3/4 in. stones to avoid washout.
12 months, 13,000 miles since new.
I only go to show and shines to "observe". :lol:
Handles the mountain roads pretty well though, even when dirty.
1.25 miles here, and I really share the pain. Plus my driving season is only 6 to 7 months.

#17 ·
Show me a card that doesn't have a dirty rear end after driving it. I think SUVs are the worst. My other car, for the winter driving we have, is an SUV. I have a rear wing that directs the air flow downward over the top of the SUV, which reduces some of the accumulation on the rear.

Something like that would look pretty horrible on Corvette I think.

#18 ·
A 3 series BMW guy that I work with cleans his wheels and spray details his car every morning upon arriving to work. Now that's dedication. His car looks like it ready for a car show every morning. Cleaning the rear of my Coupe every time I drive it seems like a small price to pay for driving such a great car.

Butt Wipe, D.J.

#20 ·
Welcome. A trip to Ocean City last year showed me a simple solution to said dirty rear problem. While checking the Vettes in parking area I spied what looked like saran wrap stretched over tail lights and plate hole. Talked later with owner ,he said to place on carefully to keep out dirt maintain edges,can use more than one ,overlap edges. Now that I remembered it am going to use it myself. Another gentleman I met in Charlotte had about 10 layers of wrap on the nose of his "03 "-"53" and is from Pa. told us it is the cheapest bra he has found. my .02

GASH EB 02

#21 ·
Near dust free brake light recessions

Here's a trick I use to keep the dust/dirt accumulation to a minimum in the brake light recessions.

After washing & drying the beast, use a can of compressed air or the like to blow all moisture from the brake light housing. Have a soft cloth handy to capture the water that is forced from the area surrounding the brake light.

You'll still accumulate dirt, but it will be much less visible and far less in quantity.

The exception to this rule is the guy from AZ (humor).

#25 ·
Zoomin: are u saying that ur Caravaggio spoiler helps prevent dust buildup??? if soo...gosh darnit, im going to go buy one tommorow!!!

Aj

#26 ·
The rear of my car is filthy. Covered with little dirty spots of oil. I thought I'd popped a Diff seal (again), since that same dirt is what clued me in to the original failure. Got under it today, no problem. I'd percolated a little fluid out of the vent at the top of the Diff. First time driving sustained 90MPH+ in 90º weather, since I'd last had the Diff serviced, was this Wednesday (late for Golf League).

It stays relatively clean when I'm not having these kinds of problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.