Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot conceive of a better way to tell cops to put down their donuts and pick up the gun because a C5 or F body is on the way than DRL's short of a neon flashing arrow.

I was working under the (incorrect) assumption that you could disable the Daytime Running Lights by turning the ignition switch to ON, then pressing the instrument light dimmer button 4 times within 4 seconds, as this worked on my Tahoe, Blazer and Camaro SS. Alas, this is not so on the Vette.

Some have stated that they can be disabled using the Options button on the DIC, but I think they are confusing DRL's with Approach Lights, which are the lights that come on at night when you unlock the car.

Here's the ways to turn them off that I know of:

1) Raise the emergency brake one click from off while the ignition is still off. The brake is far enough from being engaged that you shouldn't hurt anything. The good news about this method is you can engage / disengage rather easily. The bad news is the red warning is constantly on the instrument panel.

2) Pull the number two fuse in the engine compartment. The good news is this shuts them off in a permanent manner and is fairly easy to do. The bad news is this disables the light flash on security system enable and the reverse lights illuminating on disable.

3) Remove and replace micro relays 38 and 40 in the passenger compartment fuse box after using some plastic to keep the relays open. The good news is everthing else keeps working normally and the DRL's are off permanently. The bad news is the DRL's are off permanently, and the relays are a PITA to pull.

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
122 Posts
why the big worry -they have been std equipment in canada since 88 and long before that in Europe. Is it not illegal for you to disable them? I getmore annoyed with the headlights coming on automatically at the first sign of dusk.

ZEDOH6 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
01QS

·
Registered
620 Posts
Zoomin,
Please explain to me in more detail the disadvantages of pulling the number 2 fuse.
This is what I have done to the C5's I have owned.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

On 2001-08-21 00:19, ZEDOH6 spewed forth this drivel:
I getmore annoyed with the headlights coming on automatically at the first sign of dusk.

ZEDOH6 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
01QS
In the US you can disable the headlights comming on automatically (Twilight Sentinal OFF). I take it that in Canadian C5s you can't do this?

On the DRLs. I posted in the other thread that maybe you could wire in a bypass switch into what ever switch is used by the parking brake, but maybe that would just do the same thing as lifting the parking brake one notch??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Zoomin,
Are you still out there?

·
Registered
217 Posts
The parking brake trick doesn't work on my Z. :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dave - When you lock / unlock your car with the remote, you get a visual confirmation with the lights depending on how you have the "Approach" setting on your DIC. It's my understanding that removing fuse #2 disables the lights on this function.

ZeeOhSix and ZedOH6 - Z06's don't have Twilight Sentinel so the headlights do not automatically come on.

CP - Raise the emergency brake one click before you start the car. Once the lights are on, they'll stay on.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just wanted to made another comment about the DRLs. If you don't want them on the bright DRL setting, you can turn on your parking lights. This turns the DRLs off, but the parking lights are then on. They are not as bright as the DRLs, so in the daylight they will not be very noticable (by your freindly police officer :D).

Going this route would be the best option if you are already moving down the road, since otherwise you would have to stop, shut the car down and click the parking brake up a notch :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts