Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 3 different Dyno sessions, my last was with Kooks 1 3/4 headers with hi-flow cats and X-pipe, also the stock airbox lid cut with a large opening. No tuning, the car has 8000 miles. I was hoping to at least get 380 rwhp. The car runs great, really feels strong. Maybe I'm expecting too much.



History: All runs were on same Dyno.
________________________________________________
(Run 1) car had 3000 miles

'04 Z bone stock Temp: in 70's rwhp=359.0, rwtq= 346.3
________________________________________________
(Run 2) car had 7500 miles

'04 Z bone stock Temp: in 50's rwhp=364.4, rwtq= 358.2
________________________________________________
(Run 3) car had 8000 miles

'04 Z Kooks 1/ 3/4 Lt, Hi-flow cats, X-pipe, Stock Ti mufflers,
Stock airbox lid with large hole, no tune.

Temp: in 60's rwhp=377.0, rwtq=366.4
________________________________________________

augydog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,548 Posts
Those numbers look about right to me. With a tune you will be over 380 rwhp. :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Those numbers are correct or inline for the Mod's you have... Get a tune and it should be at or just over 390rwhp. I hit 390 with the similars mod's, but tuned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,484 Posts
A tune will amaze you the #'s you'll find hiding.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Tune?

When you say get a tune what do they change? The A/F ratio? When mine was on the dyno I was running pretty rich...so how much rwhp can you expect to get with a tune on a mostly stock car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,149 Posts
I am not a ZO6, but a 2KFRC. I got 340/344 with Supermax Headers and B & B Bullets. Only other mod was the Vortex Ram Air which is useless static. Well, I did have a floor fan blowing air to it. Does that count for forced induction? :lol: Imagine the possibilities if I actually got this beast tuned. Hopefully I could break the 350 mark! And then, slap on a Tornado and WATCH OUT! Well, it looks as if my dreams of a big project keep getting further and further out of reach so I must take it in stages. I got two votes so far for Supercharging first, and if that doesn't satisfy my appetite, THEN build the engine. For some reason, the sounds of an aggressive built engine sounds better than the sounds of a whining supercharger. But, if I get both, i won;t hav eto worry about hearing the whine now will I? :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,484 Posts
LKGRenegade22 said:
When you say get a tune what do they change? The A/F ratio? When mine was on the dyno I was running pretty rich...so how much rwhp can you expect to get with a tune on a mostly stock car?
Depends on who does it and what tune program they use. I was told after my tune, it would add 8-10 RWHP. I didn't dyno mine before the tune to get a baseline. AntiVenom is having a dyno day in a couple of weeks and looking forward to see what mine pulls. All i have are GHL Magnums and a tune from FRC Tom.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
numbers appear inline...tune (LS-1 and Tech 2) helps pull the benefits of all the mods plus change factory settings to optimize mods....car gains a few more hp but also just runs crisper, cleaner and responds quicker....basically it is the right thing to do. Just find a "good tuner"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
C5 CU said:
numbers appear inline...tune (LS-1 and Tech 2) helps pull the benefits of all the mods plus change factory settings to optimize mods....car gains a few more hp but also just runs crisper, cleaner and responds quicker....basically it is the right thing to do. Just find a "good tuner"

:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
gsjack said:
Depends on who does it and what tune program they use. I was told after my tune, it would add 8-10 RWHP. I didn't dyno mine before the tune to get a baseline. AntiVenom is having a dyno day in a couple of weeks and looking forward to see what mine pulls. All i have are GHL Magnums and a tune from FRC Tom.

Jack
Yep :thumb: You are in the ballpark, the richer you are running now the more you will be toward the upper end of the gain. And as others have mentioned, the car will run better overall once you are tuned in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
You were expecting too much without a tune. You really need to get it tuned to get the most of those mods. Just get it tuned, and you should be in the 385-390 rwhp range, which is right were it should be. Get it tuned - it's worth it!

To answer the other question about what they do with a tune: yes its mostly adjusting the air/fuel ratio mapping to account for the increased air flow in and out of the engine. The stock program wasn't really designed to handle the increased flow that an aftermarket intake and headers generate. As a result, the stock program usually causes the car to run rich with those mods. Some tuners also adjust the timing a bit for more HP.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top