Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this installed and dyno tuned by Norris on my '02 Z06:

G5X-3 112lsa
AFR205 heads milled with 921 springs
flycut pistons
LSX 90mm intake
NW 90mm TB
160 stat

Already had LG headers, Corsa Ti race exhaust and Vortex intake. Result was 450 hp/383 tq. :( No reflection on Mike Norris, his reputation speaks for itself, but why the low numbers, especially the torque???

Any suggestions? Didn't do a baseline dyno to compare unfortunately....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am have the same setup except I have the 114 lsa and I did not change the intake or throttle body. I was hoping for around 440RWHP with my 4.10s (which bring the numbers down a bit - maybe up to 15RWHP over stock). My car is going on the Dyno today.

I think Don Benson has about the same setup as you and he has 470RWHP. I am not sure if this was before or after he had the 4.10s installed. If it was after then he really has about 485 based on the stock 3.42s.

Unfortunately I do not know his torque numbers. I will post my numbers later today when I find out.

Bob

·
Banned
411 Posts
Any exhaust leaks or bad gaskets in the exhaust? That could cause a drop in back pressure and torque. I'm sure they would have noticed when they were dynoing it though....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Same thing happened to me at Norris. I think his Dyno is a little conservative in the tq. department. I made 410rwhp and 373rwtq. I thought something just wasnt right. He was very good at tuning my car but the tq numbers just didnt make sense to me. Try dynoing at another location and see what you get. If you add more mods, go back to Norris for tuning and comparison.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I have this set-up, but my X3 is on a 114. I have Kooks' w/o the cats, and my dyno numbers, as Wicked Weasel said were 470rwhp/420rwtq on the 4.10's. If you have Kooks headers with the cats, they (those particular brand of cats) could be restricting both your horse power and torque numbers. Just a thought.

Don

·
Registered
175 Posts
my numbers just came in

443 rwhp
387 rwtq

not bad for having 4.10s and not changing the TB or intake.

talk to ECS....

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Bob,

Really great results. :cheers: Nothing like the drive home with over a hundred extra ponies to propel you. :yeadog: I know you are as anxious as I am to hit Pocono this weekend....150, here we come...... :D

Dr. Ron...eat our dust. :lol:

Don

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Torque management.
The stock table is set at 441 max torque at 4800 and 5200 rpms. This is flywheel torque.
This is 375-385 rwt, 15-13% drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Torque management.
The stock table is set at 441 max torque at 4800 and 5200 rpms. This is flywheel torque.
This is 375-385 rwt, 15-13% drivetrain loss.
Are you saying that the torque management system is holding back the torque figures? If that's the case can it be disabled? What do you make of these low torque numbers?

D.J.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Are you saying that the torque management system is holding back the torque figures? If that's the case can it be disabled? What do you make of these low torque numbers?

D.J.
I lost count on how many cars I retuned/fixed that this and a couple of other things are overlooked. I have fixed more idle issues than I can count also.
I can't be sure without seeing the bin files, but why would these couple of cars in this thread be stuck at 375-385 torque with hp #s in the mid 4s? It should not be disabled but can be increased to a max. of 640 lbs.
I'd like to see the dyno sheets.

What are your #s?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Where did you dyno?Are they normally high or low.I dynoed 441/388 with my setup at 21 century.I would be willing to bet I would be higher somewhere else because its proven they have a stingy dyno.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FRC Tom said:
I'd like to see the dyno sheets.

What are your #s?
Tom, thanks for your input. I haven't gotten the dyno sheet back yet, but will post when I get it. Also, tomorrow (err, today.. :pp: ) I'll hook up my LS1Edit and see what the tq management is set to.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
dmtnt said:
Tom, thanks for your input. I haven't gotten the dyno sheet back yet, but will post when I get it. Also, tomorrow (err, today.. :pp: ) I'll hook up my LS1Edit and see what the tq management is set to.
:idea: Make sure your COT protection is turned off also.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just wondering how the ECM gets a read on the torque?? Is there a strain gauge in the driveline? Anybody want to post a dyno curve on one of those cars with high peak HP and low Peak TQ? I would like to compare it to mine since I have higher TQ and lower HP.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have the SAME setup using LG headers, cats and 36# injectors.
I am at 487 on a cool spring day 78F
Last month 98F doing a pull I was only at 467 rwhp
Like Tom said adjust the torque mangement. If you adjust pass 640 it reverts back to 0 and screws you up.
I have tried 450/ 550 /600 to see any differances and it only changes the response time of T/C when it is on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts