Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Want To Disconnect The Active Handling And The Traction Control 4 Ever, Because It Comes On When I Drift Because The Car Does Not Recognize The Tire Presure. I Need Help, Thanks From Spain!!!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm not sure I understand how Tire Pressure is related to AH/TC, but... There used to be a company selling a device that wired in to the circuit and generated a "simulated" button press to disable AH/TC whenever you started the ignition. For what it did, it was fairly expensive. I don't know if they are still around, and I'm afraid I don't remember their name anyway. But really, is it worth even a few Dollars (Euros)? How much effort is it to hold the button down for a few seconds each time before you roll on to the track?

If you didn't care about seeing the Check Engine light, I suppose you could disconnect the wheel speed sensors. Without access to those devices, neither TC or AH can function. But you'd get an error message each time you started the car, and ABS wouldn't work, either.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Right, can't you just press the AH/TC button to toggle through the 3 modes (AH/TC on, Competitive Driving, AH/TC off) every time you start the car? It will essentially be off 4eva that way.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Use a different tune for track use and turn off traction control from either pulling timing, controlling TPS or reducing fuel flow. ( any or all of them)

Raise the brake torque versus vacuum values to higher.

Change the minimum torque allowed and minimum water temp to high values

Also can do the same of the wheel hop function if you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My probles is that the tire sensors are not ok, because when i drift, and turn the wheels, the car does not recogniza de tire sensor for a sec, and active handling comes on becuase the computer thinks that the tyre is flat. thas my problem. and know the back right tire sensor says that the tyre is flat, and the tyre its ok, so i cant put competitive mode. any help please. How can i reset tyre sensors? thanks

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
My probles is that the tire sensors are not ok, because when i drift, and turn the wheels, the car does not recogniza de tire sensor for a sec, and active handling comes on becuase the computer thinks that the tyre is flat. thas my problem. and know the back right tire sensor says that the tyre is flat, and the tyre its ok, so i cant put competitive mode. any help please. How can i reset tyre sensors? thanks
This might sound archaic but how about bringing the car in to your local dealer and have them fix your wheel sensors? Just a thought.....

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Someone please enlighten me here, not having ever used run-flats or tires with sensors. Can't you just remove the tire sensor from the rim and be done with it? Or does the pcm need to have the tire pressure sensors programmed out?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you remove the sensors, the car will complain every 15 minutes that the sensors need service. On the C5, you can turn off TPMS using a Tech-II (or, in the case of the C5Z, turn it on like I did). Not sure if that's still doable on the C6. But either way, the right solution is to correct the underlying problem. The TPMS shouldn't care what you're doing with the car. If it's not working reliably under all driving loads, there's something busted that needs to be fixed!

Of course, the OP is in Spain, so a "Local Dealer" might be a loooong drive...

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Thanks for the info. :yeadog: I guess we will have to wait to hear from the C6 tuning experts if these sensors can be turned off or on like a C5Z.

Learn something new here every day.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Keep in mind due to the thanks of Japan and the hosing they did owning Firestone, all the crashes and deaths due to their crappy tires that TPM changed from a minor option to mandated by federal law and how they stated TPM functions.

How TPM functions greatly changed so you cannot compare how it worked for a C5 and even 2005-2007 C6 TPM works differently then what the feds now require since 2008 models

Maybe since he is "drifting" with the wheels sliding sideways effects the speed which has to be above 25 MPH for TPM sensors

He could pin the problem down by using a OBD scanner and connecting to the RCDLR controller and record while drifting and seeing what each TPM sensor and wheel rotation sensors report to see what goes on and then doing some work around.

You cannot turn them off here in USA as they are mandated now by the feds and must be functional.

Maybe being in another country the TPM has to work differently then the USA design so he has to check what is allowed.

He might try and take sensors out of wheels and install all 4 into a short piece of PVC pipe that is pressurized to 30 PSI and store in hatch.

This would allow RCDLR to see sensors and not trip error codes or trigger safe mode RCDLR now has to do under the federal rules.

In any case he still has to tune the ECM for TC, TM and wheel hop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU ALL! I'll go to my dealer, but the problem is that i have to drive 200miles to go to it. And i'll try to do something to cut the active handling... thank you all....

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
How TPM functions greatly changed so you cannot compare how it worked for a C5 and even 2005-2007 C6 TPM works differently then what the feds now require since 2008 models

Maybe since he is "drifting" with the wheels sliding sideways effects the speed which has to be above 25 MPH for TPM sensors
Interesting point, but I am not sure that I agree.

There are two types of TPM systems in use, "direct reading" and "wheel speed".

The Corvette uses a direct reading type system. Sensors in the wheels measure pressure and report that information digitally to the TPMS. You can read the actual tire pressures on the DIC. The sh!tty little 2009 Kia I bought for my wife (so she wouldn't be driving the 2500 Diesel as a commuter car) also has direct reading sensors in the wheels, but the Kia doesn't give you a readout, it just illuminates a lamp on the dash if a wheel reads too low. The TPMS used in earlier Corvettes absolutely meets current DOT requirements and I can't imagine any reason for GM to have changed in spite of recent legislation.

I could (and have been in the past) be wrong, but if someone knows better please point out some documentation with the specifics.

At one time, I know BMW favored the "wheel speed" system and used it on the Mini. There were no sensors in the wheels themselves, the car attempted to ascertain low pressure by comparing the speed of the wheels to each other - theory being that a tire going flat will show an average speed that is different from the other tires due to the pressure difference. In this type of system, you can't read pressure directly. I think I remember that BMW abandoned this because it wasn't particularly accurate. But as far as I know it is still a valid system as far as the DOT is concerned and I'd bet manufacturers are using it, still, but GM isn't one of them.

If the Corvette used the wheel speed system, then I would agree with Racingvette's statement. But I don't think it does. Possibly the C6 has some kind of hybridized system, but I've never heard or read anything to suggest that's the case and there's no reason why GM would have had to "enhance" what they already had, and a direct-reading TPMS doesn't care about what the wheel was doing, it only cares about what the pressure in the tire is.

Having said all that, I do have another idea. The TPMS has to detect over pressure as well as under pressure. Probably, everyone on this forum has experienced their TPMS complaining about too low a pressure when it's really cold, adding air, and then getting a too high pressure warning when it gets really hot.

Drifting tends to heat tires up pretty good. This may be the OP's actual problem. As he heats his tires up, the pressure increases and the TPMS is complaining that tire pressure is too high, not too low. If this is the case, and if a pressure warning causes the car to engage AH even if AH has been shut off, there may be no solution to his problem. Starting with a lower initial tire pressure may not be an option for what he's doing. And if TPMS can't be shut off with a Tech-II then he's going to be stuck with the issue.

It is possible that the car will treat "TPMS not functioning" differently than "TPMS says there's a tire pressure warning". It would be easy enough to find out by just "unlearning" the TPMS senders. I know on my C5 that doing this elicits a "Service TPMS" warning message every 15 damn minutes, but besides that annoying warning I don't remember any other response from the car. If the C6 behaves similarly, the solution might be to just run tires without sensors for the Drifting and put up with the "Service Soon" warning.

Though the "put the sensors in a pressurized tube" idea would work nicely, too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You've probably figured this out already but I hadn't so hear you go.

To turn off the active handling all you have to do is unplug the steering wheel position sensor. Very quick, very easy, no more problems with TPMS and other bullshit electric nannies. ABS still works and you still have the option to use or turn off Traction Control.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3154893-active-handling-defeated.html

Some people here have commented "fix it" "take it to a dealer" ect. There are reasons that isn't an option.

You want to change wheels to run racing tires, snow tires, a tire pressure sensor has gone bad and you don't want to spend $130 to get it replaced right now.

For some reason when its cold outside it takes 15 minutes for my tire pressure sensors to work.

·
21,341 Posts
You've probably figured this out already but I hadn't so hear you go.

To turn off the active handling all you have to do is unplug the steering wheel position sensor. Very quick, very easy, no more problems with TPMS and other bullshit electric nannies. ABS still works and you still have the option to use or turn off Traction Control.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3154893-active-handling-defeated.html

Some people here have commented "fix it" "take it to a dealer" ect. There are reasons that isn't an option.

You want to change wheels to run racing tires, snow tires, a tire pressure sensor has gone bad and you don't want to spend $130 to get it replaced right now.

For some reason when its cold outside it takes 15 minutes for my tire pressure sensors to work.
I don't track my car but I can see how this might benefit the track rats. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts