Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much you feel would be a good discount at a Chevy dealership for your Corvette parts? 5% 10% 15%?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The max amount allowable by law!:D

Dan

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
fatherlarry said:

Just tell me what you feel would be a fair and decent discount? Remember, I'm a republican.
Well now Larry!!!! I see you have no humor, being a Republican and all! :lol: Just kidding! I am a Republican myself, so my wife says.

I think that there is, in all likelihood, a major mark up on most parts. Particularly specialty parts. If a Chevy and a Corvette used the same spark plug, the Corvette spark plug would probably cost two to three bucks more.

Therefore, I fall back on my original answer, and since the legal posted max is 15%, then I say go for 15%. Of course, you have to understand that I am a greedy fellow. I would love 15%, but will take 5%.

Hope that helps...

Dan

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't know about some of you, but I have been to my dealer for some parts and get 10 to 15% off.

I think that 15% would be a good number, if they are setup to sell HP parts then that's a good number. Turn over is the key.

5% will save you the tax.

just my .02 worth

Ernie

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sigung86 said:

Well now Larry!!!! I see you have no humor, being a Republican and all! :lol: Just kidding! I am a Republican myself, so my wife says.

I think that there is, in all likelihood, a major mark up on most parts. Particularly specialty parts. If a Chevy and a Corvette used the same spark plug, the Corvette spark plug would probably cost two to three bucks more.

Therefore, I fall back on my original answer, and since the legal posted max is 15%, then I say go for 15%. Of course, you have to understand that I am a greedy fellow. I would love 15%, but will take 5%.

Hope that helps...

Dan
Dan, I do know this is true. I am trying to get a good deal worked out for my fellow Corvette enthusiasts. If I can get you guys 15% or more off of any GM factory original parts, (excluding aftermarket parts) delivered anywhere in the US, for just mentioning my name, FatherLarry, would that % be good enough? Let me know how you feel about that. I know the average is 5% and 10% tops, so I thought 15% would be pretty good.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
15% would be great, obviously, particularly if there is mail order involved. It would have to offset immediate availability factors, but heck Larry, I'm open to any discount at all.

Hope that helps.

Dan

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I am in the Auto Repair business, and the local GM Dealership only gives me 20% off. So 15% sounds good. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why should we get a discount ? After spending many years as a Chevrolet parts mgr. at local dealerships I can tell you that Chev sells parts at very good prices. Check out import pricing.As for the same parts being higher for Vettes as other chevs:bs: Do you all ask for a discount at Mcdonalds?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hi Jim,

Haven't spoken to you in a while. Hope you had a great Christmas, and your New Year is Exemplary! ... I like that word!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife was reading to me from one of her many musty tomes on Pricing, management and contract "stuff" (That's her forte).

The point is that the book indicated that it is not improper to barter for discounts. I know the General sells a lot more than one of anything, and has a MSRP on everything it sells, up to and including parts. If I ask, and they give it... No harm. No Foul. If they don't ... No harm. No Foul.

I very seldom ever pay full retail for anything for my Vette, if I purchase it where I have leverage i.e. My local dealer, whom I have dealt with for years. They give me what we jokingly refer to as the Crusty Old Fart Discount, on both parts and labor. I, in turn, take "All" my business there, up to and including JoAnn's Eldorado.

Discounts are, in my paradigm, simply one back scratching the other...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Discounts freely given, in my opinion, are simply the cost of doing and keeping business.

Dan

·
Registered
251 Posts
8.25% would be what I would need to save taxes. I have purchased some parts online and got 15%.

So, I would need a reason to switch from them - and dollars saved talks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Jim ODeen said:
Why should we get a discount ? After spending many years as a Chevrolet parts mgr. at local dealerships I can tell you that Chev sells parts at very good prices. Check out import pricing.As for the same parts being higher for Vettes as other chevs:bs: Do you all ask for a discount at Mcdonalds?
Dealerships work each of their departments as a separate division. You have the new car sales dept, service, bodyshop, and used cars. Usually the used car dept works on an internal ticket, and they have a separate mechanic that is at a B scale and works at a lower hourly rate, so it doesn't bring up the cost of repairs for the used car dept and owner. That means that the internal ticket gets a discount on parts and labor. There is also a state law for a dealership, that if the dealer has an inhouse bodyshop, the bodyshop has to pay retail for their parts, even though the dealership purchased them at cost, which makes the bodyshops net income show as a loss, but he makes it up on the other end. But, if the parts dept has a customer that owns a bodyshop, they give between 35% and 40% off. And, they usually try to hit the outside customer for retail for parts and labor. That's the parts managers option. They basically don't try to compete with auto supply shops, because they usually charge retail to all paying customers that come in to service, because the mgmt gets a certain percentage on each ticket. The service dept will give a discount to businesses that have an account servicing a fleet of cars. The dealership basically works on warranty work, sales and their big profit is in used cars. It's kind of hard to give a discount to someone who comes in and just buys one part a year for his Corvette. But if that person can bring him in a certain amount of business, then he should be entitled to a discount for himself. Dealers do have larger overhead to contend with.

My point is that a good customer, who spends a lot of money themselves, plus brings the dealership more business through club members, family etc, then a discount is the right thing to do for that person. Remember, volume means discounts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
fatherlarry said:

Dealerships work each of their departments as a separate division. You have the new car sales dept, service, bodyshop, and used cars. Usually the used car dept works on an internal ticket, and they have a separate mechanic that is at a B scale and works at a lower hourly rate, so it doesn't bring up the cost of repairs for the used car dept and owner. That means that the internal ticket gets a discount on parts and labor. There is also a state law for a dealership, that if the dealer has an inhouse bodyshop, the bodyshop has to pay retail for their parts, even though the dealership purchased them at cost, which makes the bodyshops net income show as a loss, but he makes it up on the other end. But, if the parts dept has a customer that owns a bodyshop, they give between 35% and 40% off. And, they usually try to hit the outside customer for retail for parts and labor. That's the parts managers option. They basically don't try to compete with auto supply shops, because they usually charge retail to all paying customers that come in to service, because the mgmt gets a certain percentage on each ticket. The service dept will give a discount to businesses that have an account servicing a fleet of cars. The dealership basically works on warranty work, sales and their big profit is in used cars. It's kind of hard to give a discount to someone who comes in and just buys one part a year for his Corvette. But if that person can bring him in a certain amount of business, then he should be entitled to a discount for himself. Dealers do have larger overhead to contend with.

My point is that a good customer, who spends a lot of money themselves, plus brings the dealership more business through club members, family etc, then a discount is the right thing to do for that person. Remember, volume means discounts.
Ask most any G.M. parts man about Vette owners,Most will tell you that they are one big pain in the A$$.If you are a good customer then fine give them a discount,Just remember the parts man sees you come in after spending $50K on a car wanting a discount and the person driving the $12k cavalier wont ever ask for one.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Ask most any G.M. parts man about Vette owners,Most will tell you that they are one big pain in the A$$.If you are a good customer then fine give them a discount,Just remember the parts man sees you come in after spending $50K on a car wanting a discount and the person driving the $12k cavalier wont ever ask for one.

That is one of the tricks that allows and assists some of us Vette owners in owning a $50K car.:lol:

Jim,

Learned a long time ago that you can always ask for a discount. Nothing personal to it. Just one of those questions that very few people ever think about asking. You might be surprised where you can get discounts just by seriously asking.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Re: Discounts

Jim ODeen said:
Jim,

The reason you think most Vette owners are a pain in the ass is because they are often descriminating buyers and know precisely what they want. Not everyone buys a high-end performance car: the Corvette owner is in the minority. Having supposedly worked as a GM parts manager, you should know this.

Also, it's not a reasonable argument to say that someone buying parts for a low-end car is less likely to request a discount. I now have a Z and can comfortably afford it but I can assure you that if there ever was a potential discount on anything I have ever bought (including car parts), I was all over it. I would always rather ask and hear "no" than line up like a sheep and pay what is demanded.

--pdx_Z

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Discounts

pdx_Z said:

Jim,

The reason you think most Vette owners are a pain in the ass is because they are often descriminating buyers and know precisely what they want. Not everyone buys a high-end performance car: the Corvette owner is in the minority. Having supposedly worked as a GM parts manager, you should know this.

Also, it's not a reasonable argument to say that someone buying parts for a low-end car is less likely to request a discount. I now have a Z and can comfortably afford it but I can assure you that if there ever was a potential discount on anything I have ever bought (including car parts), I was all over it. I would always rather ask and hear "no" than line up like a sheep and pay what is demanded.

--pdx_Z
You might want to reread what I said, I said (most parts people think Vette ownwers are a pain in the A$$) NOT ME! I was always the one helping them. Please dont put words in my mouth.I also spent many years as a Chevrolet parts counter man,parts manager,service advisor,service manager and parts & service director so I have some experience in the field.You might also consider when everyone starts asking for discounts it drives the list price that much higher. Keep in mind you can also save money by going to AC Delco Dealers for most Delco parts and some GM parts Also keep in mind the parts dept in dealerships is the lowest paying dept in the dealership and most parts people are paid on commission so when you ask for a discount it takes money from them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts