1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement - Front
Removal Procedure

Caution
Do not move the vehicle until a firm brake pedal is obtained. Failure to obtain a firm pedal before moving vehicle may result in personal injury.

Remove the brake caliper from the mounting bracket and support the brake caliper (2) with heavy mechanic's wire (1), or equivalent; do NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement - Front .

Watch your brake reservoir level, when you compress the caliper pistons the fluid level will increase in the reservoir.
Install large C-clamp (2) over the body of the brake caliper (1) with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and against the outboard brake pad.
Tighten the C-clamp (2) evenly until the caliper pistons are compressed into the caliper bores enough to allow the caliper to slide past the brake rotor.
Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

Remove the brake pads (2) from the brake caliper bracket (3).

Remove the brake pad retainers (1) from the brake caliper bracket (3).

Caution
These fasteners MUST be replaced with new fasteners anytime they become loose or are removed. Failure to replace these fasteners after they become loose or are removed may cause loss of vehicle control and personal injury.

Remove the brake caliper mounting bracket bolts and washers.

Discard the brake caliper mounting bracket bolts. These bolts are 21mm and are very tight.

Remove the brake caliper mounting bracket from the knuckle.
Inspect the brake caliper bracket.
Replace the brake caliper bracket if cracked or damaged.
Clean all the bolt adhesive residue from the brake caliper mounting bracket and the knuckle mating surfaces.

Remove the rotor retainers with a 3/8" deep socket applied with lite hand pressure to get them started, Then with gloves on turn and pull the retainers off.

Remove the brake rotor.
Installation Procedure

Important
Whenever the rotor has been separated from the wheel bearing flange, clean any rust or contaminants from the wheel bearing flange and the brake rotor mating surfaces. Failure to do this may result in increased lateral runout of the brake rotor, and brake pulsation.

Use the J 42450-A in order to clean any rust or corrosion from the wheel hub surface. I just used a wire brush to clean the area.

Install the brake rotor over the wheel studs onto the wheel bearing flange.

Installation Procedure

Install the brake caliper mounting bracket to the knuckle. the part # for the new bolts are 14067559.

Caution
These fasteners MUST be replaced with new fasteners anytime they become loose or are removed. Failure to replace these fasteners after they become loose or are removed may cause loss of vehicle control and personal injury.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the two NEW brake caliper mounting bracket bolts and washers. The new brake caliper mounting bracket bolts will come with an adhesive already applied to the threads. Tighten
Tighten the front brake caliper mounting bracket bolts to 175 N·m (125 lb ft).

Lubricate the brake caliper pin bolts with high temperature silicone lubricant.

Install the brake pad retainers (1) to the brake caliper bracket (3).
Install the brake pads (2) to the brake caliper bracket (3).
Install the brake caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement - Front .

With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
Slowly release the brake pedal.
Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 11-12 until a firm brake pedal apply is obtained; this will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.

Burnishing Pads and Rotors

Road Test Safety Caution
Road test a vehicle under safe conditions and while obeying all traffic laws. Do not attempt any maneuvers that could jeopardize vehicle control. Failure to adhere to these precautions could lead to serious personal injury and vehicle damage.

Burnishing the brake pads and brake rotors is necessary in order to ensure that the braking surfaces are properly prepared after service has been performed on the disc brake system.

This procedure should be performed whenever the disc brake rotors have been refinished or replaced, and/or whenever the disc brake pads have been replaced.

Select a smooth road with little or no traffic.
Accelerate the vehicle to 48 km/h (30 mph).

Important
Use care to avoid overheating the brakes while performing this step.

Using moderate to firm pressure, apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not allow the brakes to lock.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 until approximately 20 stops have been completed. Allow sufficient cooling periods between stops in order to properly burnish the brake pads and rotors.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
many of us already know this but to a novice you give very good and professional directions, excellent attention to detail. very nice pics ..............clean those pretty red calipers he he he he he

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Great reference for us "shadetree" mechanics..... I'm gonna post a copy in the Tech Tips section if you don't mind. Thanks for taking the time to post this gmblack3..... :thumb:

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake pad change also

It's alot of the same info, but here you go.

Brake Pads Replacement - Front

Removal Procedure

Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Hand tighten a wheel lug nut to a wheel stud to secure the rotor to the hub.

Install large C-clamp (2) over the body of the brake caliper (1) with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and against the outboard brake pad.
Tighten the C-clamp (2) evenly until the caliper pistons are compressed into the caliper bores enough to allow the caliper to slide past the brake rotor.
Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

Remove the upper brake caliper guide pin bolt. 15 and 18mm wrenches needed

Pivot the brake caliper body downward and secure the caliper out of the way with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent; ensure that there is no tension on the hydraulic brake flexible hose. Do NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.

Remove the brake pads from the caliper bracket.
Remove and inspect the brake pad retainers from the caliper bracket.

Installation Procedure
Inspect the caliper slide boots for cuts, tears, or deterioration. If damaged, replace the slides and the boots. Refer to Disc Brake Hardware Replacement - Front .

Install large C-clamp (1) over the body of the brake caliper (3) with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and against an old inboard brake pad (2) or a wood block installed against the caliper pistons.
Tighten the C-clamp (1) evenly until the caliper pistons are compressed completely into the caliper bores.
Remove the C-clamp and the old brake pad or wood block from the caliper.

Install the brake pad retainers to the caliper bracket.
Install the brake pads to the caliper bracket. The brake pad wear sensor, mounted on the inboard brake pad, must be positioned so that it is in the trailing position during forward rotation of the brake rotor.
Pivot the brake caliper upward, over the brake pads and into the caliper bracket.

Install the upper brake caliper guide pin bolt. Tighten
Tighten the brake caliper guide pin bolt to 31 N·m (23 lb ft).

Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Lower the vehicle.

With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.

Slowly release the brake pedal.

Wait 15 seconds, then repeat these steps until a firm brake pedal apply is obtained; this will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.

Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thank You! Perfect timing as well. I have never done my own brakes, but I just ordered new Rotors and pads. With your post as a guide and the other tips I have picked up on this forum, I think I can do it.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 18mm wrench to remove the upper brake caliper guide pin bolt is one of the odd size tools that you will need. Its not included with most metric wrench sets. You also will need a 21 mm socket or wrench for the bracket bolts.

I would also suggest flushing the brake system. If you order some speedbleeders from www.speedbleeder.com you can do the bleed/flush yourself. I would remove all the fluid you can out of the brake reservoir with a turkey baster then add the new fluid and do the bleed/flush. Not the procudure is different for 01 vettes and up. the order is RR, LF, LR and RF

Here is the prodedure for the brake bleed:

Steps 1-3 are for bleeding the master cylinder.

4. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with Delco Supreme 11® (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level. Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm, when cap removal is necessary.

5. Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, then install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.

6. Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with Delco Supreme 11® (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.

7. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain pedal position.

8. Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.

9. Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.

10. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-9 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.

11. With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, (after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit), install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 6-10.

12. With the left front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, (after all air has been purged from the left front hydraulic circuit), install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 6-10.

13. With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, (after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit), install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 6-10.

14. After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.

15. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11® (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.

16. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.

17. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:
Inspect the brake system for external leaks. Refer to Brake System External Leak Inspection .
Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.

18. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.

19. If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any way to get pics up again or am I better off just picking up a Chiltons type manual and following that with normal procedures?

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Any way to get pics up again or am I better off just picking up a Chiltons type manual and following that with normal procedures?
Send me a PM with your email addy ... I'll send ou a version with pics and some supplemental instructions.
I've got some additional pics, but haven't got 'round to fixing the DIY yet ... :eek2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm at 95K miles on my Z and I think I may be doing this work soon..
Please, please, please, can someone get the pics back up for this excellent tutorial??? :anyone:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I have the C5/base C6 version - don't have C6Z. will eventually get them re-posted.
Hobbs ... welcome ... send me a PM with your email.
Zmeister ... same for you if you still need pics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
DennyM...thanks, you covered me right after I posted. You sent me a PM and followed up with all the pics to my email address.
Haven't gotten around to the task yet but will be as soon as I can take some vacation time!
:z:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the info on the brake and rotor replacements. I did not get the pics that you posted though. Do you know where the "tech tips" section is as well. Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts