1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Nice write up. thanks :ity:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish you didn't live so far away or I'd let you use my car for the write-ups. I need headers, clutch, output shaft, etc. I'm reasonably good mechanic and brakes and stuff are easy but I'm a little gun shy of tackling that big stuff all by myself. You always run into problems the first time you do something and this is my daily driver so I can't afford to get stuck or screw something up.

Thanks for the write-up though, and the offer to do more. :cheers:

·
Registered
377 Posts
FRC Tom, you do first class work.

I'd love to find out what's involved with a Roll Bar (weld-in) install. I'm mostly concerned with all the parts that have to be removed or cut through in order to safely weld to the frame. Also, when you cut through the floor, how do you prevent water from penetrating the balsa core? Do they leak inside when running in the wet? I just got my car in November, so I don't know much about it yet.

Any help or references to instruction are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks a million, Tom. Broken down like that, it's just a bunch of wrenching... I took a look at your paint page while I was there and LOVE the Diamond Pearl. Can't wait to see the finished paint and stripes. Great work! Later, TJ

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kmagvette said:
FRC Tom, you do first class work.

I'd love to find out what's involved with a Roll Bar (weld-in) install. I'm mostly concerned with all the parts that have to be removed or cut through in order to safely weld to the frame. Also, when you cut through the floor, how do you prevent water from penetrating the balsa core? Do they leak inside when running in the wet? I just got my car in November, so I don't know much about it yet.

Any help or references to instruction are greatly appreciated.
A 6 point cage is not far off, I'll be sure to do a complete write up.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UVETTYA said:
I wish you didn't live so far away or I'd let you use my car for the write-ups. I need headers, clutch, output shaft, etc. I'm reasonably good mechanic and brakes and stuff are easy but I'm a little gun shy of tackling that big stuff all by myself. You always run into problems the first time you do something and this is my daily driver so I can't afford to get stuck or screw something up.

Thanks for the write-up though, and the offer to do more. :cheers:
I too was very intimidated by the C5. I had not worked on my own cars since the mid 70s when I was stripping down C1s and C2s. Through necessity both lack of funds and tired of work not being done right I started tackling these jobs.
Not having a lift is the most difficult but give me a large enough lever and I can move the world. Lifting the front of the car high enough off the sub-frame to slide the engine out will be my biggest challenge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks!

thanks for the nformation on this!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts