Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yea I pressed it forward but since I had the seat moved up it was against the steering wheel. I'll go back and push the set back, and try that level again.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok I'm sold - I just tackled HID's this week.. you can see my drama on the other forum. How to aim headlight? search wasn't helpful - Corvette Forum

I'll let you guys know what I bump into since apparently I can screw up easy jobs. Thanks again for the replies!

Sigh. I have already hit a stumbling block on the first step. How do you get access to the zipper? I pulled the sit forward, leaned it all the way and it looks like the leather folds under the seat. Can I just pull it out to find the zipper?
Yes, the end of the zipper is folded up inside the cover. Just pull it out. Also, you might want to use a pair of pliers to grip the slider because it doesn't have a pull tab.

And like what mjustmike said, the lever on the back of the head rest flips the seat forward, toward the steering wheel.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok, I just finished the mod - absolutely amazing with one drawback - as you said, no one over 200 lbs will like this mod. I'm 5'10" 150 and its a little close but in a good way. This mod definitely reminds me of my S2000 seats for a total cost of ZERO!

Also, I didn't bother getting the rails back in. It was pain trying to get it back in one piece and I'll keep an eye on it in the meanwhile. The rail is pulled all the way back and as I sit it gets pushed in, not pulled out. :p

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would think this would be way easier to remove the seat first. They aren't that hard to get out. 4 nuts and 1 wire harness clip.:mug:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would think this would be way easier to remove the seat first. They aren't that hard to get out. 4 nuts and 1 wire harness clip.:mug:
:zboobie:

I've had mine out a few times EZ.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On my to do list for my skinny ass today.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think you will love it. The stock seats were crap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did the mod, and to be honest, it is tight in there now! It actually is a bit uncomfortable for DD. For track days, I think it would be a godsend. Street driving though it is just a bit tight. PS, the rails are EAY to reassemble, the attatch to the rail at the base of the seat back. Pull it throught the bottom of the seat, and you will easily be able to slide the rails back in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excellent free mod! seat comfort and lateral support increased 500%. way better, exactly what i was looking for in a seat, thank you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just a quick question. Are you doing this on both sides of the seat, left and right seat bolster or just the outside like in the pics?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just a quick question. Are you doing this on both sides of the seat, left and right seat bolster or just the outside like in the pics?
Both sides of the seat. Also, I would advise you to sit in the seat after step #2. That way you can decide if you like the increased bolstering (or not) before zipping it up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I did this mod last night and it really is awesome. I must imply, as others have done, that if your much bigger than 200lbs its not gonna be very comfortable. Also, the plastic rails on the bottom of the seat are a bi%ch to put back together....

I recomment having the seat in the mid position (not all the way forward to the dash or all the way back) to have the best luck getting the plastic rails back together....

Thanks for another awesome tip guys....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Never put the rails back on - no problems so far.

Thanks again OP!

·
Registered
133 Posts
To those who have not put the rails back in.

Do you consider it a finished job? A job well done?

I know it is not a have to do thing, but for me, if it is left undone, the job is incomplete.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just did this mod on another guy's car and we noticed something that could be important. When looking at his foam we could see that the frame had poked through on the top outboard edge(his car had approximately 30,000 miles). This is the area where your butt or back would normally drag on the bolster as you get in or out of the car. When checking the frame we could feel the edge was very sharp. It's easy to see how it could poke through the foam with normal use. Of course once it's through the foam it's going to start working on your cover. This is especially important when you do the bolster mod because once modded there is no foam acting as a buffer between the frame and cover. When the mod is done the front edge of the seat frame does not push forward on the cover, the cover lays along side the seat frame. A few people have expressed concern that the frame may damage the cover. As sharp as his seat frame was, it is possible that damage could occur.

We came up with a very simple solution that should be part of the mod. Take a course file and smooth the edges of the seat frame. It only took about a minute to do this extra step.

Now I have to pop off my covers to check/file them. I plan to keep this car for a long time and I don't want the covers to wear through prematurely.

To all the people who have completed this mod, I'm sorry I didn't notice this earlier. Even though my two cars had about the same mileage the foam was not damaged so it was not as apparent. It may not make any difference, but since you can probably do the fix in about 20-30 minutes total time it's probably worth it for piece of mind and long term durability.

Dog

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Ah you mean you don't do the "butt drag" as you get in or out???!!

Just kidding!! That is some good info, I'm sure you will save a few curses in the future for this!! Nice follow up report!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I will inspect the corners this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did this mod. It took me two nights to finish one seat, mainly because the seat zipper broke off!!

I was all finished and trying to zip the seat down, pulled a little too hard and the slider came off the track. I had to take off the zipper stopper at the bottom and try to put the zipper back on the track. Well, I couldn't get the zipper to go on the way it was, so I put in on backwards. It now zips UP to close and down to open. I think it kinda makes it easier honestly.

The plastic sliders that hold the bottom together really are a pain to put back together. I needed someone to help me hold the leather close enough to zip it.

The seats are so much better now. Much more supportive! I love it, I'm probably going to do the passenger side but I have to see if my girlfriend likes it before I do that. ;)

21 - 40 of 71 Posts