Corvette Z06 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
10 Month Update...

After almost one year of living with this mod, I can honestly say, it rocks! The upper lateral support foam felt a little tight at first, but it's actually comfortable now. It just needed a little "seat" time to get broken in.

I didn't fully appreciate this fact before, but an inadequate seat will impede the driver as much as poor tires and shocks. I'm much more connected to the car now and don't feel like I'm fighting to stay centered. If this mod makes that much of a difference, I can only imagine what a proper racing seat with 6-pt harness feels like. :yeadog:

Also, I have not noticed any abnormal wear in the seat leather or stitching. It appears to be doing fine.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Re: 10 Month Update...

After almost one year of living with this mod, I can honestly say, it rocks! The upper lateral support foam felt a little tight at first, but it's actually comfortable now. It just needed a little "seat" time to get broken in.

I didn't fully appreciate this fact before, but an inadequate seat will impede the driver as much as poor tires and shocks. I'm much more connected to the car now and don't feel like I'm fighting to stay centered. If this mod makes that much of a difference, I can only imagine what a proper racing seat with 6-pt harness feels like. :yeadog:

Also, I have not noticed any abnormal wear in the seat leather or stitching. It appears to be doing fine.
Nice follow up report!! :yeadog:

·
21,357 Posts
Re: 10 Month Update...

I'm thinking your modified seats are much like the C6 seats. Very good info to know and thanks for keeping us posted on this.

Nice piece of engineering! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow!! Great mod! Im new here and was just trying to figure out which aftermarket seats I was gonna have to shell out money for cause the stock ones sucked so bad! Did this mod and now im not even worried about after market seats! Thanks!

Does anyone know if the seat backs are interchangeble on the seats though? One of my Side bolsters (left side of drivers seatback to be exact) is broken. So I wanna swap the passenger and drivers seat back if possible. My plan was to keep the passenger side seat stock anyway for any fat people who ride in my car so it should work out well if I can do it.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah i actually switched the seat backs in my z... that is before i got so fed up with how uncomfortable it was i bought an 03 convert with sport seats....

:coo::lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has any one tried this on a C6? My 08 seats look pretty much the same as those in my old 02.
:screwy: Maybe you need to sit in your 02 seats again then. Cause the 02 seats and the C6 seats are miles away! I felt an imeadiate difference right when I sat in the C6 I test drove! My C5 seats are better then the C6 seats now though!:gjob:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have pictures of this saved...the first two aren't pulling up for me. Is it pretty intuitive once you are in there? Sounds like a good project for this weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
LOL I think Juan was referring to his "spare tire".

:eek2:

A friend was telling me about some bolsters a guy was selling at Spring Mountain Track. I thought it was something like that.

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow!! Great mod! Im new here and was just trying to figure out which aftermarket seats I was gonna have to shell out money for cause the stock ones sucked so bad! Did this mod and now im not even worried about after market seats! Thanks!

Does anyone know if the seat backs are interchangeble on the seats though? One of my Side bolsters (left side of drivers seatback to be exact) is broken. So I wanna swap the passenger and drivers seat back if possible. My plan was to keep the passenger side seat stock anyway for any fat people who ride in my car so it should work out well if I can do it.

Anyone know?
Something else you may want to think about if you have the seats out of the car is swapping the bottom seat cushion from the driver side to the passenger side. This was a trick we did on the C4s to equalize wear, but on a C4 this takes literally less than a minuite. We have the seats out of the girlfriend's 99 FRC and at 90K miles it was amazing how much the foam compressed and tore. However, we did buy the car used and the original owner was shall we say, Large? I was also successful using contact cement to re-glue the foam where it tore, but it takes a lot of cement in the fact that the foam sucks it in.

Before I put her seats back in today, I think I'll try the mod ~ she is 5'2" and 110, but for my 6'2", 220lb behind, I think I'll leave the Z06 alone.

Thanx for sharing the idea & photos! :gjob:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just finished doing the drivers seat and its worth doing if for no other reason but to check the foam pading ~ the bolster was all ripped through and I had to glue it back together before I moved it inward.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great tip, Ànything that is free and betters the Z expirience ( with total reversal if unwanted) is worth a try.... :gjob:

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is a great post and NOW I wish I'd thought of it, as I had my driver's seat out of the car completely yesterday to reconnect the seat-back recline cable. Never thought about this! What a great idea.

Here's what I experienced. Unzipping isn't a big deal; hell, we all do it every day just from a different direction. You then have to unslide the little retainers from the rail that holds tension on the seat back cover. Undoing it is easy.

Once you have the seat unzipped and the cover loose, the mod shown here is easy and NOW I WISH I'D THOUGHT OF IT!!

However, getting it back together is a bit tougher (as the writer said). Getting the little plastic slides into the tensioner rail is not easy, but with patience you can do it.

I may do this anyway, even though the reassemly really tried my patience. I recommend, however, that you remove the seat from the car......the right side of the seat might be tougher to reconfigure.

Again, great post........thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the mod the other day and thought the hardest part was getting the zipper out from it's tucked-in position. Although I had the seat out of the car, I found a really easy way to put the plastic rails back together. Just zipper the seat back up and tuck the zipper back in place, then grab the zippered assembly, fold it over to align it with the bottom half of the plastic channel and push the two togther until you feel them snap into place. :yeadog: Worked like a charm for me.

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine's busted

Just peeled mine back and found the bolster ear busted. It is still attached to the seat but bends like a hinge. No wonder my seats don't have any upper body support! I'm going to have to strip the cover completely off and fiberglass it back. I'll pull the seat out of course. I might just pull them both and swap foams.

Heck while I.m in there I might as well tear down the rail and fix that damn forward movement problem.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts