Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tips by Chris Johnson (chrisj)
Partition supplied by Z06 Parts Inc.

These tips are meant to augment the instructions supplied with a Z06PARTS INC. partition.

Here is my partition. Black carpet on the back and black vinyl on the front.

Tools required: Drill, Drill Bit - 7/64" (one size less than 1/8"), and Phillips Screwdriver #2. Rivet gun is optional.

This is the partition being slid in through the trunk. Note the masking tape over the Velcro.

1. Prep the partition by applying masking tape over the Velcro (found on the bottom edge of the partition) or by laying newspaper or poster board down in the car. This will allow the partition to move around freely.

2. Slide the partition into the car and position it in the opening. In the picture you can see how it fits nicely in the opening. The curves fit over what looks like the wheel well. It should line up just behind the rear window. Make sure to position it as close to vertical and as far back as possible for the best fit.

This picture is taken from the floor of the trunk. You can see both the trunk opening and the partition.

3. Locate the metal cross brace under the rear edge of the trunk. Pull the Velcro straps tight (they should be on the trunk side of the car) and position them on the metal cross brace. Mark them for drilling.

Take care to cover the rear of the car. Could help prevent ugly scratches.

4. I was told that a 90 degree drill bit would easily allow for the drilling to be done from outside the car. If that is not available to you and you are nervous about drilling into your new car (as I was) elicit someone else to help you out. I had my younger brother help me with the drilling.

5. There is room to crawl into the trunk and position the drill on the cross brace. Crawling in will allow for the hole to be drilled at an appropriate angle. Again, this is possible to do with a 90 degree drill bit, or if you are tall enough to lean into the trunk opening.

Finished snap installed with a screw.

6. After the holes are drilled, install the male portion of the snap with the screws or rivets. **NOTE** The straps on newer models are shorter than the ones shown. As a result, your placement may differ slightly. Measure carefully before you drill!

1999 partition and cover in a 2002 Z06. Mismatched to emphasize placement.

7. Remove the tape from the Velcro and realign. Pull the snaps tight, stand back and admire your work. Here the partition is darker to match the 1999 interior carpet color. The contrast allows you to easily see where it should fit. Also shown is the center trunk cover. I made sure the base of the partition lined up with the trunk cover. This was a personal choice. Z06PARTS INC. recommends a small overlap to make the partition as vertical as possible.

8. There should be a .5-.625" gap across the top of the partition. This gap is for the air to flow from in interior of the car to the rear vent which allows the doors to close easily. The partition should also fit with a rear cargo mat installed. (See the picture in 2.)

Hooked already.

9. Don't forget to let your helper out of the trunk and snap a few pictures. And then reward them for the help and dedication.

To see more pictures of the finished install, visit: http://superdork.net/partition/

Disclaimer: Neither the author nor the *Vette family of sites claim any fitness or warranty on the above diy tips. Any injury or damage incurred as a result of the use of the tips is the resposibility of the user.

·
Registered
543 Posts
This will probably be one of my first mods done to my Z. Nice write up on it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Installed mine today. I was not able to slide mine in from the truck area. I had to put mine in from the front. Looks great in there. I have yet to take the car for a test drive though.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I just bought the 08 so anyone interested in a mod red w/ the window w/ bk carpet back for the C5Z let me know and send me a PM. Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm sorry i can't post photos, i am computer illiterate, someone help.i just bought my first vette last october, its an 02 z06-black/[email protected] i have many years off fiberglass experience and custon audio install. i want to show all c5 frc and z06 owners the progress i've achieved on my bodywork and homemade partition for around 50 bucks. everything from shaving the rear fenders with my own 3/4" flare and reworking the brake duct in the stock location. i'm runnin 345's in the back with black 2008 z06 offsets, with my own 1 3/4" mini tub along with 3/4" flared fenders, looks amazing imho. just want all c5 owners to look at what chevy should have done. its very sutble, not like the l5 fenders that stick out a country mile,thanks for helping out, where as i'm new. look forward to the replies and is the z06 the f-'n' best car or what. the only car i've owned that still makes me smile like its the first day i saw her......mmmmm... love at first sight

cars pick their drivers, not the drivers picking cars. i swear mine talks to me, alright enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This thread hi-jacking seems to be the only way I can do anything on this web-site, so please excuse the intrusion and perhaps give me some guidance.

I have a XXXXXXX(edited) I want to sell. I sent a PM to an alleged administrator as to why I am not allowed to post the item for sale. I'm told I haven't made enough posts, like that makes any sense. I never got a response.

I tried to post a new thread and it also was disallowed. Will a competent administrator who can explain what is going on please email me with said explanation at [email protected].

Well, I'm not an Admin, but Hijacking a two year old post to hawk items when you don't have the required posts is probably not a very smart idea. It was disallowed because it violates our rules here, which are pretty simple. So there, it's explained.

FiveOJoe

Now, If you'd like to sign up to win a free vacation from this site, please reply.

·
9,755 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
sorry .. we have no competent administrators or moderators here.

1 if you can read english.. the rules are simple.
2 follow the rules.

geesh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts