Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
21,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Hurst shifter was much too noisy for my taste. Part of the problem was increased noise coming from the torque tube because of the big gaping hole left by the inverted rubber boot and a increase in rattling noise from shifter vibration.

The first thing you want to do is to remove the two shift stop screws. They aren't necessary unless you are going to be power shifting all the time. By removing them the shift shaft won't make contact with the stop bolts so you won't have to worry about that particular noise.

Next, go to your local hardware store and purchase a 1-1/2 " PVC rubber plug.

Take an Exacto knife and cut a hole in the center just slightly smaller than the shaft, apprx 5/8". Do a better job than I did though.

Place upside down over shaft and down into the stock shifter boot that has been turned inside out per Hurst instructions. Note: One 2003 and later models there is a hard plastic ring inside the boot that will have to be removed. You can cut it out with diaganol wire cutters.

I didn't do this but thought about it afterward. You could take some high density foam and stuff inside the opening for more sound deadening. It is very quiet without it though.

The finished product. No bulging and looks very stock.

This mod eliminates the transmission noise that travels up through the tunnel and eliminates most of the rattling expereinced by engine vibration. All in all, a very worth while mod and it's cheap!

·
Registered
34 Posts
excellent idea....my hurst has been very noisy and is almost unbearable with the momo knob. :mad: I've tried wheel weights, dynamat, foam, cv boot and a few other things that I'm too embarrased to actually share :eek:

My MGW pistol grip ( plus ebrake handle and ac knobs) should be arriving soon so I will give this fix a try.

thanks again for the great idea...I'll let ya know if it works for me.

:cheers:

Harry

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was thinking of changing my shifter next. I didn't know that the after markets make more noise. Is it engine noise or rattling from the shifter itself or what?? Now you have me wondering if it is just Hurst or are the others the same?? Anyone....??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bird-dog

From what I've read, the noise varies pretty widely from car to car and shifter to shifter. Knob makes a difference as well. Some people have done the Hurst install and have no noise whatsoever.

Do a search on shifter noise or shifter rattle and crack a beer cause you'll have a few hours worth of reading.

Just for the record....even with the rattle I have, I would not go back to the stock shifter. The feel of the Hurst is that much better.

Harry

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks Harry. Some people on the forum have a B&M ripper and say they have no problems. I'm sure the shifter I pick is going to be a matter of more than just performance. I drove an F body with a Hurst and loved the way it felt. I know I want to change mine... just don't know which one yet. I will take your advice and start reading around.

·
21,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now that I think about it, I think most of my noise came from the shifter "stop bolts". They might not have been adjusted properly. I decided to do away with them all together because they are not really needed. The stock shifter doesn't use them because the shift rods are travel limited.

There was a small amount of noise coming through the shift boot that is transmitted by the engine/transmission via the torque tube. By placing the rubber PVC plug in the hole with a tight fit around the shift shaft, allot of that noise was reduced. Now the prominent noise are the Borlas. That is a noise I can live with. :D

Birddog Singer...de AB4MS

·
Registered
460 Posts
My Hurst makes no noise at all with the MGW knob. All I can hear is road noise and you can hardly hear it over the Stingers anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures jub jub. I've had my hurst for 2 weeks now and it doesn't seem to rattle, but maybe I'm not paying attention :p

·
21,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thing I done while I had the console of was to remove the larger of the two centering springs. When I put the allen screws back I barely tightened them so there was little tension on them. Now it is much easier to get into fifth and reverse.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
jub jub be careful with the allen screws....You should put loc-tite on them or they will probably back out with the vibration.....It happened to me and the allen screw got jammed in the shifter hole and would not let me shift at all.

·
21,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering about that. I might just take the allen screws and springs out all together. I didn't notce much difference between the light springs and no springs at all. Shifter seems to still have that solid, precise feel to it.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
In the pictures the 1.5" is installed in the opposite position as the 2". The 2" goes down and "caps" over the existing inverted rubber boot and fits very snug. With The 1.5", it goes down the shifter shaft upside down and fits inside the inverted rubber boot. I can feel around my leather boot and feel the 2" cap under there. The 1.5" should be harder to detect or feel and I think everyone would agree is the optimal choice. Both will provide the same result....

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Great post. :cheers:

·
Registered
425 Posts
GaryZ06 said:
So let me get this straight.....I can use either a 1 1/2 or a 2 inch PVC rubber plug.....which is better? Thanks
...and the 1 1/2 fits in "upside down" as well. Just tuck the extra into the boot as far as you can rather than having it face upwards as in the pics here. The installation looks factory.

Matt

·
Registered
191 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
My Hurst makes no noise at all with the MGW knob. All I can hear is road noise and you can hardly hear it over the Stingers anyway.
Ditto that BIG LAW MAN !!:yeadog: :yeadog:

James

·
Registered
276 Posts
PaulS said:
In the pictures the 1.5" is installed in the opposite position as the 2". The 2" goes down and "caps" over the existing inverted rubber boot and fits very snug. With The 1.5", it goes down the shifter shaft upside down and fits inside the inverted rubber boot. I can feel around my leather boot and feel the 2" cap under there. The 1.5" should be harder to detect or feel and I think everyone would agree is the optimal choice. Both will provide the same result....
Good point. I was the one that posted about the 2" cap. As I stated in my post I got the idea from Jub Jub so all credit to him. When I went to buy the 1.5" as recommended I brought the stock boot with me but mis-understood the install. I thought the cap was supposed to go on the outside. I didn't realize it was supposed to go inside inverted.

After using the 2" boot for a few weeks I must confess that I was wondering how to make the 1 1/2" boot work. The 2" boot is noticeable once the center console is replaced. After looking at Jub Jub's pics above more closely for a second time I realize what I missed.

I humbly bow to Jub Jub for a superior solution and retract my recommendation for the 2" cap. In fact I'm going to replace my current cap with a 1 1/2" cap this weekend. I believe this choice will give me the same excellent noise reduction while reducing the amount of rubber under the console.

:cheers: Jub Jub for the excellent idea and :( sorry for not understanding it correctly the first time.

Whiplash

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
03torchred said:
excellent idea....my hurst has been very noisy and is almost unbearable with the momo knob. :mad: I've tried wheel weights, dynamat, foam, cv boot and a few other things that I'm too embarrased to actually share :eek:

My MGW pistol grip ( plus ebrake handle and ac knobs) should be arriving soon so I will give this fix a try.

thanks again for the great idea...I'll let ya know if it works for me.

Harry
I have the hurst with the Momo too, and the sound is driving me NUTS

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had the hurst shifter installed at the Fest and got the MGW shift knob. The MTI folks there said that that shift knob was really quiet.

I took a few folks for rides who where interested in the hurst but had heard it was noisy. My set up is quiet...I could slightly detect a light buzz noise, but you would have to have hearing like a dog and really be listening to hear anything. End result GotZ06 bought the same setup.

I wouldn't go back to stock if I was paid double the costs to do it.

:eek:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts