Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
silvertp said:
I had the hurst shifter installed at the Fest and got the MGW shift knob. The MTI folks there said that that shift knob was really quiet.

I took a few folks for rides who where interested in the hurst but had heard it was noisy. My set up is quiet...I could slightly detect a light buzz noise, but you would have to have hearing like a dog and really be listening to hear anything. End result GotZ06 bought the same setup.

I wouldn't go back to stock if I was paid double the costs to do it.

:eek:
I must have hearing like a dog, then. ;) And, I have the MGW gripper, too. I think my rattle might have something to do with the fact that I installed the knob on the stock shifter and then bought the hurst. That very action probably created a very small gap between the threads of the knob and shifter, creating the knob buzz. If I put a "virgin" knob on a new hurst shaft, I bet it wouldn't rattle. I wonder if others with the buzz put the knob directly on the Hurst or if they used it on the stock shifter first. Just a thought.

Matt

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks jub jub, I will give it a try!

- Charley

·
Registered
230 Posts
I used a 2" cap. Works great for me. An advantage of a 2" cap is it can be removed easier than a 1.5" should you want to adjust the screws on the top of the shifter. :cheers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I performed the jub jub job (lol), and still getting a buzz at top of shifter. Actually used two rubber caps, a 1-1/2" on the inside and a 2" on the outside. Also removed stop bolts. Any ideas?

·
21,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Charlie, just taking a guess but it might be the knob. Maybe it's a little loose on the shaft? Other than that, I think the shifter does quiet down some on it's own.

The jub jub job...I like that!:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I definitely have more noise in 1st through 4th, especially at WOT, with the Hurst.
But it is as quite as a church mouse in 5th and 6th.

I also feel that the Hurst with it's shorter throw and shorter shift tower is tough on the syncros when the trans is cold. So I shift it very gentley until the trans oil warms up.

I have to agree with silvertp, the Hurst is a vast improvement over the stock shifter. :guiness:

Russ

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What kind of noise is it that comes from the aftermarket shifters? Rattling or the transmission whining or what? I was just wondering.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Andy Cravens said:
What kind of noise is it that comes from the aftermarket shifters? Rattling or the transmission whining or what? I was just wondering.
Andy,

I think it might be a combination of both. For me the rattling was the most noticable and I really don't notice much of the increased transmission whining noise. Both my Ripper and my Hurst had the same kind of rattle. I usually only heard it at the top of the gears under hard acceleration. Depending on how I held the shifter, it would sound different.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If your shifter makes a buzzing/rattling sound from the knob here is a easy fix....just wrap the shifter threads with a little electric tape and all is well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
howdy,
i have a ripper in my 2003 and have re-installed it twice thinking that the first time i screwed up as there was a buzz coming from the shifter under hard acceleration....second time i torqued all to spec and put loctite on...well nothing changed. i had a momo handle...since i changed to MGw and its ok but not completely gone. there has been a terrific write up in a recent corvette mag about shifters. each one is a compromize over stock. by switching you invite more noise as the isolation is reduced to make it more solid feeling and also more effort as the lever arm is reduced. so i think it matters not whether its b&m or hurst, i think they all have some compromise and we will have to live with it. good luck

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I love my modified stock shifter.........no noise or issues. Wouldn't trade it for double what it cost me (0). Oh yes I have one of MGW's T-Handle Bar Shifters. George makes the best knobs, and other great products for our cars. :coo:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have done this mod last night and it still rattles a lot!
Still using stock handle. 3rd gear seems to be the loudest.
I have other ideas that may help the noise. Will get back to tell if it works or not.
Otherwise, I may just do the OEM shortening way.

·
Registered
425 Posts
socal28 said:
I have other ideas that may help the noise. Will get back to tell if it works or not.
It's definately your knob. Pull the knob off and drive around the block. The rattle will be gone. This DIY only addresses the tranny noise.

Matt

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
socal28 said:
Wrap electric tape around the threads...it worked for me.

·
21,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I did this mod about 10 minutes ago and WOW what a difference

I've had the chance to drive several Zs lately and it seems there are varying amounts of engine vibration from car to car. Could be that the guys that have tried this this mod and still experience the buzz or rattle may have slightly more vibration than others.

One thing I would like to emphasize is the removal of the stop bolts, or at least back them out far enough so the lever won't hit them.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I love my Hurst (had a BM in the mustang and loved that too) only rattles at WOT... might try this cap thing to fully kill the tranny noise and WOT rattle.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I had been using a rubber shifter boot and over the last month or so noticed the noise was increasing again. Well I tore it apart to install this fix and discovered that the friction of shifting wore a hole in the side of the rubber boot and that was the reason for the noise. I suspect that it will not happen with this plug.:D

21 - 40 of 69 Posts