Corvette Z06 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would like to thank the many contributors to this topic. The suggestions have been enlightening. With that said, I will share an epiphany that I had during my shifter install:

My equipment list:

1. Hurst shifter: (most adjustable of the ones that I have reviewed)

2. MGW Pistol Grip shift knob: (fits my large hand, nicely)

3. "Jub Jub" 1.5" PVC plug fix

Observations:

1. Hurst Shifter w/no knob installed: "faint" noise, only

2. Hurst Shifter w/factory knob installed: "sickening" amount of noise (akin to a megaphone!!!)

3. Hurst Shifter w/MGW knob installed: as quite as the bare shifer in #1 above

Conclusions:

With the MGW Pistol Grip knob installed, it became clear that the "faint" noise remaining that I was hearing was originating from inside the tranny.

Apparently, with the "stiffer" linkage of the Hurst Shifter, I can now hear the "rubbing" of the shift fork against the synchro-assembly.

Consequently, if I gently "push" the shifter toward the center of the shift gate while in a given gear, the noise all but disappears.

This would support my theory since by doing this I am "centering" the shift fork within the synchro-assembly; there by, minimizing the rubbing and inherent transmission of noise that follows! :cheers:

Not exactly the perfect fix, but it is workable for me considering the benefit gained from the positive shifts that the Hurst is providing me. :guiness:

·
Registered
830 Posts
With the pvc plug installed, after a week of driving, some noise has come around...but between the radio and exhaust, I can't hear it anyways. Plus, I'm not that picky when it comes to interior noises. If I had wanted quiet, I would've bought a Civic with an automatic.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Jub, you sure that it isn't the end off your bathroom plunger? I can still remember the pics your wife took when you got your laptop. :rofl:

·
21,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Topgun said:
I have an installed (not by me) Hurst shifter and would like to do this mod. How do I pull up the leather boot to expose the boot underneath to install the rubber cap? Thanks!
Remove the shift knob. If the shift knob is stock, pry off the plastic cap (with shift pattern) with a small screwdriver. Once the cap is removed, take two screwdrivers, and by prying against the the shift knob, lift out the retaining clip. Unscrew the knob. Once the knob is off squeeze the leather boot along the bottom where it goes through the console and that should be it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
You know, I've tried the fix with the 2'' and with the 1 1/2" cap and I can't seem to get it right.
The 2" I put on with the flat part up and tried to get the factory boot to fit inside the cap......couldn't do it. Then I switched it around. With the flat side down and the open en up, it's just sitting there on top of everything. I drove with it like that for about 2 weeks. The noise has gone away almost completely but the vibration noise is still very apparent under medium to hard excelleration!
This weekend, I went and got the 1 1/2" version. When i took the thing apart again, there was a lot of frayed rubber down in the hole.....I guess from the cap and the stock boot rubbing together. Now, with the 1 1/2", I put it on with the flat side down and tried to fit it inside the stock boot opening. I could just about get it all in there but, when I ran through the gears(without even driving the car)the cap popped out. So, whew.....lol, I turned it upside down. With the open side of the cap down and the flat side up, I managed to fit it into the stock boot. I'm still haveing the same problem. The damn thing is working it's way out again.
Is there something wrong with me or am I not doing this thing the right way again? Please help! :mah:

·
21,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
HDRAMROD said:
You know, I've tried the fix with the 2'' and with the 1 1/2" cap and I can't seem to get it right.
The 2" I put on with the flat part up and tried to get the factory boot to fit inside the cap......couldn't do it. Then I switched it around. With the flat side down and the open en up, it's just sitting there on top of everything. I drove with it like that for about 2 weeks. The noise has gone away almost completely but the vibration noise is still very apparent under medium to hard excelleration!
This weekend, I went and got the 1 1/2" version. When i took the thing apart again, there was a lot of frayed rubber down in the hole.....I guess from the cap and the stock boot rubbing together. Now, with the 1 1/2", I put it on with the flat side down and tried to fit it inside the stock boot opening. I could just about get it all in there but, when I ran through the gears(without even driving the car)the cap popped out. So, whew.....lol, I turned it upside down. With the open side of the cap down and the flat side up, I managed to fit it into the stock boot. I'm still haveing the same problem. The damn thing is working it's way out again.
Is there something wrong with me or am I not doing this thing the right way again? Please help! :mah:
From what I understand, on the 03-04 models, there is a plastic ring inside the boot and this needs to be cut out. I guess the rubber on plastic doesn't grip well enough and you wind up with what you've described. Can you check to see if that is the case and if so maybe you can cut it out and then reinsert the plug. I've had mine in for over a year and it's still in there!

I had another thought, you might be able to use the 2" pipe plug on the outside and use a hose clam or something similar to ensure a firm grip of the plug to the boot. Since the plastic ring is inside you should be able to tighten well enough to keep it from slipping off. Also, it might be a good idea to apply some silicon or vaseline grease to the plug where the shifter shaft goes through.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Jub,
I was thinking of gluing the rubber boot to your plumbing mod to negate the slipping (I did have to cut out that plastic ring).

My Hurst is still noisier but only at WOT and the feel makes up for it (between the exhaust, the tires, and the Hurst, I can see her lips moving but I can't hear a thing she is saying). Life is good.

·
21,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
DarkHelmet said:
Jub,
I was thinking of gluing the rubber boot to your plumbing mod to negate the slipping (I did have to cut out that plastic ring).

My Hurst is still noisier but only at WOT and the feel makes up for it (between the exhaust, the tires, and the Hurst, I can see her lips moving but I can't here a thing she is saying). Life is good.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

A good rubber cement should do the trick. BTW, I also reinstalled my Borlas because there was too much :mah: and not enough engine sound. Life is good! :yeadog:

·
21,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
One thing you have to remember with this mod is that the plug mostly quiets the sound from the torque tube and it dampens the rattle from the hurst shift shaft. To what degree it quiets the rattle depends primarily upon how well your flywheel is balanced etc.

I have been very pleased with this mod since I have performed it on my car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now that I think about it, I think most of my noise came from the shifter "stop bolts". ... I decided to do away with them all together because they are not really needed. The stock shifter doesn't use them because the shift rods are travel limited.
thanks jub jub... i think i might give this mod a try. i tried using dynamat, and that stuff almost totally eliminates the noise... UNTIL it rips. it's not made for moving parts.

anyway, i am worried about removing those stop bolts. so, there are not problems at all with removing them, when using the hurst on a z06 transmission? why were they even there in the first place then?

thanks.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts