Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mug: I am about to change out my stock plugs and wires for some MSD 8.5SC wires and NGK TR55's and this is a first for me. Does anyone have a DIY thread or any tips they can give me so I don't foul up my Z. Much Thanks!! :cheers:

·
21,351 Posts
I use graphite assembly lube on the threads of the plugs. Makes it easier to get them in and out and less likely to cross thread when installing. It's pretty straight forward. Just don't over-tighten!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jub jub said:
I use graphite assembly lube on the threads of the plugs. Makes it easier to get them in and out and less likely to cross thread when installing. It's pretty straight forward. Just don't over-tighten!
Graphite Assembly Lube? Is that anti-sieze? Also over-tightening; do you know the torque specs?

·
21,351 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
Graphite Assembly Lube? Is that anti-sieze? Also over-tightening; do you know the torque specs?
Sorry, don't know the torque specs right off the top of my head. I don't use a torque wrench. I just make sure they are good and snug. If I had to guess about 18 foot lbs.

Yes, anti-sieze will work great.

A great rule to remember, if you can't thread the plug by hand then it's going in cross threaded. I always install the plugs by putting the plug socket over the plug and then threading it all the way by hand. Then take the ratchet, snug them all down.

Oh, one other thing, use silicone dielectric grease on the boots. This will make it easier to remove the wires in the future.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jub jub said:
Sorry, don't know the torque specs right off the top of my head. I don't use a torque wrench. I just make sure they are good and snug. If I had to guess about 18 foot lbs.

Yes, anti-sieze will work great.

A great rule to remember, if you can't thread the plug by hand then it's going in cross threaded. I always install the plugs by putting the plug socket over the plug and then threading it all the way by hand. Then take the ratchet, snug them all down.

Oh, one other thing. Use silicone dielectric grease on the boots. This will make it easier to remove the wires in the future.
The dielectric grease, that go's inside the boot where the plug and wire connect right? :-? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right. Thanks.

·
21,351 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
The dielectric grease, that go's inside the boot where the plug and wire connect right? :-? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right. Thanks.
Correct, and you can be liberal with it!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Do not waste your money on aftermarket wires. The stock wries or GM red racing wires work best. In fact, the aftermarket wrires may cause issues. Save your money, I wish I did.

The TR55 plugs during our testing preformed the best(most h.p./Torque). I change my plugs out, every 2,000 miles or less.

·
21,351 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Do not waste your money on aftermarket wires. The stock wries or GM red racing wires work best. In fact, the aftermarket wrires may cause issues. Save your money, I wish I did.

The TR55 plugs during our testing preformed the best(most h.p./Torque). I change my plugs out, every 2,000 miles or less.
Hey Grim, why do you change them so often? Do they tend to get carbon fouled due to your mods? Just curious.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Paronoid. Realibilty, power and really drive the car.

Although, with the 429 motor, I tend to shift about 1,000 rpms sooner than the H/C 346, even when giving it gas.

Oil every 1,000-1,500 as well. Techtron injector cleaner every 1,200, just before the oil change.

With as much money, as I dumped into my car, I spent extra attention to make sure it treated well, so it will treat me well back. That little extra attention, keeps the car in great shape and decreases the possibility of any mishap.

Long ago, I had an old Mercedes 560SEL with a 187,000 miles. Compression was 185 lbs. a cylinder dead on, on every cylinder. This is how is came from the factory. That car and just about every car I have owned, you could drive right back on the factory floor. lol.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Torque

I believe its 15 ft/lbs for a new plug and 11 their after. Not very much but very important. Anti-sieze and dielectric grease is also good advise. Happy changing!

Mark :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Never take the plugs out of an aluminum head with the engine hot as you risk stripping the threads.

It will make the drivers side much easier if you take the small pipe off the exhaust maniford (2 bolts) but you will likely need a new gasket. ;)

Be careful and only pull on the plug boot. DO NOT pull on the wire. You can carefully use a pair of needle nose pliers on the boot if it will not come off by hand.
:z:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing someone get a torque wrench in there. LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's not difficult to get a torque wrench on the plugs. Spark plug socket and torque wrench will fit all plugs. Just put in a H/C setup and changed plugs one step cooler, very easy with the plugs!

Mark :)

Vettitude said:
I'd be interested in seeing someone get a torque wrench in there. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts