Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All, I have had thses photos deep in archives so with a few questions on the forum, here is my photo contribution. Hope it helps out. I would do a write up, but I think the photos are somewhat self-explanatory.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Shifter removed and separated from the shaft, cut 1.5".

Broken down view as if it were a whole unit.

Re-attatch the shifter to the shaft

Height of shifter show as stock size, but cut in separate sections

Slip the cut shaft over the mounting rubber shaft (2 photos)

Cut shaft mounted to the base rubber shaft and height

Side by side comparison with 1.5" cut stock shifter vs the B & M Precision Sport Shifter

If your shifter rattles, use some foam inside the base. (3 Photos)

All wrapped up with shift height approximately 5".

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: PHOTOS: Stock C5 Shifter 1.5" Cutoff MOD

Nice work on the shifter mod. How did it affect shifter performance? How much more effort does it take to shift like this?

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts

I've driven a few cars with cut-down stock shifters. IMO it's a total waste of time, they are still sloppy as hell and still very imprecise. All of you who think that the aftermarket short shifters are too stiff need to do more 12 oz. curls :mug: and build up your right arms! :lol: :csmile:

Jimbo

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I've driven a few cars with cut-down stock shifters. IMO it's a total waste of time, they are still sloppy as hell and still very imprecise. All of you who think that the aftermarket short shifters are too stiff need to do more 12 oz. curls :mug: and build up your right arms! :lol: :csmile:

Jimbo
"AT EASE" Jim..... That was a nice hour and a half of my wasted time your referring to. :pp:

The shifts are not really any bit shorter, like Jim said. I guess it is all a mental attitude that makes it feel better. However, a shorter height shifter coupled with the Transmission Washer-Mod, it does help a little more and it is pretty much a free mod. As for shifter effect, it seems shorter in a way, but again, I think it is all in the mind. At least I had fun cutting it apart and completing a new project. However, I wasn't 100% satisfied with teh B & M Precision Sport Shifter, so I got an itch to cut down my stocker before I replaced it. Who know. maybe I will go back to the B & M just for the fun of it to verify if it is just the shifter or I need to do more 12 oz curls with Jim. :coo:

·
Registered
711 Posts

I've done this to my last two Vettes and it was the best free mod you can do imo. No missed shifts what so ever. I've had many after market shifters and I'm always disapointed. Some may not like the feel of a cut down stock shifter but most of the Vette owners I know fall into one of two catagories. They either one, don't really drive/race their cars or two, never been past 120 mph lol. I never liked the feel of a notchy shifter. The shifter in Glenn's car was notchy as hell. If I had a chioce to walk home in the pouring rain or drive Glenn's car home, I'd choose to walk lol. J/K Glenn but you know it's true lol. IMO, the shifter/clutch makes all the difference in the world. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I've done this to my last two Vettes and it was the best free mod you can do imo. No missed shifts what so ever. I've had many after market shifters and I'm always disapointed. Some may not like the feel of a cut down stock shifter but most of the Vette owners I know fall into one of two catagories. They either one, don't really drive/race their cars or two, never been past 120 mph lol. I never liked the feel of a notchy shifter. The shifter in Glenn's car was notchy as hell. If I had a chioce to walk home in the pouring rain or drive Glenn's car home, I'd choose to walk lol. J/K Glenn but you know it's true lol. IMO, the shifter/clutch makes all the difference in the world. To each their own I guess.
I will keep that in mind next time we are 80 miles away in Tucson and it starts raining.......byotch! Hahahahaha..... Yeah, I kno my shifting needs work, but somewhere around here i d have a video of beating you once your juice was gone. To bad. Hahahaha Now get back to work and stop wasting government time. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts

I will keep that in mind next time we are 80 miles away in Tucson and it starts raining.......byotch! Hahahahaha..... Yeah, I kno my shifting needs work, but somewhere around here i d have a video of beating you once your juice was gone. To bad. Hahahaha Now get back to work and stop wasting government time. :lol::lol::lol:
You know me, I don't drive my cars in the rain lol. I would hope you could beat a smalled cammed 346 Z in your 80,000 FRC with a big bad 402 lol. Joking aside, I think you'll be able to bang gears a lot better now.

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts