Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I currently have Corsa Ti's (and TPIS's) on my car. I love them. The sound it great. However, I might not mind it being a bit louder...

The thing is, there is NO resonance with my set-up, and I'm not willing to change anything if it means picking up resonance.

Can anyone tell me if they picked up resonance by adding Random Tech hi-flow cats? (I'm not really interested in running NO cats.) Or, is resonance usually more a function of the muffler set-up?

Finally, would adding hi-flow cats be the ticket for upping the volume some? Or, do you think it might be crazy-loud with the hi-flow cats? I am currently running the Corsa Ti mufflers...

Thanks, folks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you would get little to no additional sound from high flow cats....and I dont think you'll have ANY resonance going from stock cats to the RT cats.

I have Dynatechs into their high flow cats (may be RT for all I know) into the stock Ti and its pretty darn quiet. I went from a non-cat exhaust on a H&C Formula which was very loud to this set up and like it....down the road might go ORPs....but only for sound and the ~5hp or so they offer...

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Did you retain your '01 pup cats and reg cats? Or eliminate the pups when you installed the LT's?
I don't think the R/T's increase the volume any, I think the catback is more responsible for that. When I did the same setup (TPiS & R/T's) with the stock Ti's the idle volume changed zero, but when you cracked it, she howled. Just my experience.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I had TTS long tube headers and the Corsa Ti exhaust you have without any cats. It was loud. I have sense installed R/T high flows and it changed the sound very little. Maybe just a little less noise but not much. IMHO if you are looking for a loud system you have it under your car, (sans the cats). My car doesn't resinate at all with this system.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, folks!

Yes, the pre-cats were cut out by virtue of adding the TPIS header. So, I'm left with long tubes, no pre-cats, my stock cats, and the Corsa Ti's with the mufflers.

I think I'm hearing that ditching my stock cats for R/T cats would NOT get me the desired sound increase, right? It looks as though ditching your cats completely adds serious volume, but replacing them with hi-flow cats does very little if anything in terms of sound increase. Is this correct?

I suppose I could always swap out the mufflers for the straight Corsa pipes... But I thought I read that even the straight pipes don't add much volume to the Ti set up... (Anyone know more about THAT?)

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I think I'm hearing that ditching my stock cats for R/T cats would NOT get me the desired sound increase, right? It looks as though ditching your cats completely adds serious volume, but replacing them with hi-flow cats does very little if anything in terms of sound increase. Is this correct?

IMHO I think removing the stock cats and replacing them with the R/T cats will increase the volume. In fact they sound like you are running without the cats and that's loud. I installed the R/T cats thinking they would knock down some of the sound but did very little.

I suppose I could always swap out the mufflers for the straight Corsa pipes... But I thought I read that even the straight pipes don't add much volume to the Ti set up... (Anyone know more about THAT?)

If you take off your mufflers you will need ear muffs. I drove my car from the Daytona area to Orlando without the mufflers or cats and couldn't hear a thing when I made it home. Had a head ache for sure. Those mufflers work in my opinion.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OneQuickCoupe said:
IMHO I think removing the stock cats and replacing them with the R/T cats will increase the volume. In fact they sound like you are running without the cats and that's loud. I installed the R/T cats thinking they would knock down some of the sound but did very little.

If you take off your mufflers you will need ear muffs. I drove my car from the Daytona area to Orlando without the mufflers or cats and couldn't hear a thing when I made it home. Had a head ache for sure. Those mufflers work in my opinion.
D.J.
Thanks, DJ! Now, I understand that the COMBO of aftermarket/no cats AND no mufflers on the Corsa Ti set up could be deafening... But what about one combo vs the other? In my situation, if you did it over, would you add aftermarket cats and keep the Corsa mufflers on, or would you keep the stock cats, and ditch the mufflers for the straight pipes? Which set-up would you find louder/"better" but bearable?

Currently, I DO really like the set-up the way it is -- but I'd like even more growl when I get on it. The fact that cruising is nice and quiet with the Corsa Ti's is a real plus, though...

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
KMeloney said:
Thanks, DJ! Now, I understand that the COMBO of aftermarket/no cats AND no mufflers on the Corsa Ti set up could be deafening... But what about one combo vs the other? In my situation, if you did it over, would you add aftermarket cats and keep the Corsa mufflers on, or would you keep the stock cats, and ditch the mufflers for the straight pipes? Which set-up would you find louder/"better" but bearable?

Currently, I DO really like the set-up the way it is -- but I'd like even more growl when I get on it. The fact that cruising is nice and quiet with the Corsa Ti's is a real plus, though...

Thanks!

-Kirk
I think I would take the mufflers off and put on the straight pipes to see how it sounds to you. Drive it around for a period of time and see if you like it. The next step would be to install the R/T cats and try that. If you don't like that combination the put your mufflers back on.

Go to R/T web site and look over the different types of cats they offer. Call them up and as them about the different models and the flow of each one and the sound levels. I talked to them last week. They are good people to talk to.

D.J.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts