Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a leak in the passenger front tire of my Z, thought to be a nail hole. I discovered it after shut off the engine and I heard this air leak noise still going for about 10 mins. Looked around the car, then ah, the front tire. Glad that I'm already home. Jack up the car, took the tire to Discount and got the flat fix. Since Discount tires fix it for free, they don't rebalance the wheel. I saw the guy marked the tire and the balance weight and he put the tire back on the wheel at the same location.

Do I need to rebalance the wheel? I know that the patch is very light any may not effect much, but I'm not sure. I need yours experties on this one.

thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
REBALANCE

Hi there,
Yes, I would rebalance. As for the replace, IMA is on the right track, if the patch is NOT the best, or if it was NOT given time to cure correctly.
If it had correct time, you should be fine, short of roadracing. If you race, IMA is right, replace it.
bestto you, c4c5

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is there a shake in the car now? In the steering wheel? Or in the rear of the car (sometimes comes thru the shifter, sometimes the passenger seat)...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dreamin,

There is no shake in the car at all. I had patches on all 4 tires of my LT1 before and never had any problem with them. I did rebalance the tires though.

C4C5 and IMA,

It was the front passenger side tire that had the flat. I thought the the patches are very reliable. I know that you don't want a blow out on the front tires, but is there other reasons you guys are recommending a replace? when you say "race", do you mean auto-xing, 1/4 mile, track, or just normal fast going on the street at 100+ MPH?

Thanks
ddle

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Front??????

I have always heard the WORST place for a blow out.......is to be on the rear???
All wet........or what........you have ZERO control of the rear with a blow out........:-?

·
Registered
568 Posts
They use cheap patches

The modern standard for the tire industry is a 'Plug-patch'. It is both a plug and a patch.

I've always insisted on plugs over patches, but the experts now say the plug-patch is the hot ticket.

Patches do not protect the plies of the tire from water. As I understand it, water seeps between the plies and can cause the steel belts to rust or the plies to separate. This is a much greater concern if your car is exposed to freezing temps.

You will probably be fine, but in the future I wouldn't accept anything less than a plug or a plug-patch for a tire that is that expensive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was told that only Goodyear could properly repair these tires. I called around to different dealers to find one that could fix mine. Job was properly done and balanced.

2k :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to disagree with everyone, but if the tech put the tire back on in the same place in relation to the weight, then the wheel is already ballanced and you are wasting your money.

You can tell if you need a ballance. drive the car as fast as you normally do on the road. Is there any slight vibration or quiver? If not, save your money.

As far as tire patches are concerned, I always patch my tires with RTV silicone. I remove the tire, rough up the inside where the hole is, put on a glob of RTV, cover the RTV with a piece of thin plastic (sandwitch bag material), remount the tire in the same place on the wheel, stand it upright with the *patch down*, and put in 3-4 PSI. The RTV will squeze out a little and fill the hole. Let it harden overnight and refill the tire to normal pressure.

I started using this method many years ago to patch racing tires that I ran over 150 mph. Never had a problem. It even works on the sidewalls of radial tires.

Of course this method is for nail holes, not for major tire damage.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is an 800 number for Goodyear in your owner's manuel or somewhere in your glove box. Call it. Or, go to an authorized Goodyear dealer who knows how to follow Goodyear recommended procedures to repair "their" tire.

I believe Discount Tire is an authorized Goodyear dealer, (the 800 number will verify that) but I would make damn sure their "free" repair follows Goodyear's recommended procedure.

To do otherwise is almost suicidal, all things considered. Save the "free" and "home remedies" for your riding lawn mower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts