Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering my AFR heads for the forged 402 I'm building, no plan to supercharge. Want street livable on 91 pump gas. Does 11 fly, or do I need to stick with 10?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Mines around 11.2 and I run on 93 with no problems. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to run 11:1. I know A&A just turned out a NA 427 for guy at 12:1.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I get the 10:1, can I shave them? This is getting tricky because my engine builder is closed for the day, and I found ONE set of AFR's available in 10:1, or I'm looking at losing another four weeks for more inventory to leave AFR. I need to jump on this tonight.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
MikeyB said:
I'm ordering my AFR heads for the forged 402 I'm building, no plan to supercharge. Want street livable on 91 pump gas. Does 11 fly, or do I need to stick with 10?
11.0 compression is what I am running....93 rms pum octane - no problem with detonation... Very streetable. I use only Chevron, Exxon, Texaco, Shell, or Mobil since their quality is high. I have the new AFR 225 Stage 3 heads on a 427 C5R. The porting and polishing of the AFRs was done by Thunder Racing and compared to my previous Stage 3 LS6 heads, netted me 17-20 more rwhp before tuning. I have been very happy with these heads and the AFR logo looks cool to boot. Good head is always a good thing. :guiness:

I would only consider lower compression if I was going to add forced induction of some variety - blower or S/C or if 93 octane was in short supply.

Of course, you could do plan B and run 11.0:1:00 compression, a supercharger, 110 octane, and a handmade six-bolt main bottom end with forged pistons (instead of hyperutectic), forged bearing caps, Carillo rods, Callie crank, and all the other HD bullet-proof stuff... And the car would run like a scalded bat out of hell and you would never have to worry about traction again since you wouldn't have any... :drunken:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
case2307 said:
Mines around 11.2 and I run on 93 with no problems. :cheers:
Case--- you got a bigger radiator? Has your beast stayed cool in August here in Texas? Am seeing oil temps of 210-220 in stop and go traffic which is about 10-15 degrees higher than what I'm used to when I only drive 5 miles to work in thr morning.... PM me and lets hook up for coffee with the Vettes...

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I''m running 11.2 CR in my heads/cam 346, and it runs fine on the 91 craptane gas available here. It's all in the tuning!

Jim

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
Case--- you got a bigger radiator? Has your beast stayed cool in August here in Texas? Am seeing oil temps of 210-220 in stop and go traffic which is about 10-15 degrees higher than what I'm used to when I only drive 5 miles to work in thr morning.... PM me and lets hook up for coffee with the Vettes...
The motor hasn't seen a Houston August yet. Stock radiator and I'm seeing the same temps as you are. I run 220 almost all the time in stop and go and I run about 200 in 6th on the highway...coolant is around 180-190. :guiness:

I'll PM you closer to the weekend and we can get together with some of the HPD people too. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wonder how GM is going to deal with only 91 octane pump gas in big markets like Kallie-foreign-ya with the new Z06 LS7 11.1:1 stock heads. The expected 505hp rating may be compromised for one.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Call Lou at LG or Andy at A+A. I think they have heads in stock
I bought mine already milled .040 to give me 11.2
I have no problems with CR. It IS in the tune

·
Registered
858 Posts
dsinned said:
I wonder how GM is going to deal with only 91 octane pump gas in big markets like Kallie-foreign-ya with the new Z06 LS7 11.1:1 stock heads. The expected 505hp rating may be compromised for one.
They will handle it with very sensitive knock sensors that pull serious timing...That motor will allmost definately make more power with better octane gas :) . The 505 is probably with very conservative timing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts