Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Do you lube your weather strips?

• Yup, I lube 'em regularly

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Not yet, but I've thought about doing it

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Not something I worry about, now where is that damn TV remote control!

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you lube your weather strips?

I was just thinking about how I should probably get off my rear-end this weekend and get the Z ready for storage.

One of the things on my list of things to do is to lube the weather strips. I've never done it before, but I see the results of not doing it on my old vette, rotted weatherstipping :( .

Just curious if anyone else does this? Does it really help them last any longer?

According to the owners manual we are supposed lube them at least twice a year with GM Dielectric Silicone Grease, part number 12345579, using a clean cloth. I've heard silicone spays with petroleum distillates are a big no-no.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Brian

Yeppers, what I said......better to not use it at all if it contains Petro distals......( made it short, and was misunderstood).;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have used the GM product and it was ok. But recently I tried a BMW product, gummi-phlege, and I thought it was better.

Went on easier and left a nice black sheen.

I also own a BMW and bought the gummi at the parts counter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I remember hearing somewhere that Pledge furniture polish was good for maintaining the weather stripping.

Does anyone know if Pledge contains any petroleum distillates?

:-?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
100% pure silicone grease is best for protecting rubber. The best place to get it is at a Scuba shop. They usually carry it in small plastic tubs. One of the best things you can do to protect your rubber parts on your car is to keep your garage ventilated. It is the gasoline fumes in your garage from lawnmowers, weed-whackers, etc. that do the most damage. This is the biggest problem with garage kept automobiles. These fumes destroy everything. It is better to ventilate your garage than to worry about keeping your car warm......even in winter. In fact, the warmer you keep your garage, the more gas fumes are given off.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
NOW U Z ME said:
I remember hearing somewhere that Pledge furniture polish was good for maintaining the weather stripping.

Don't know if you heard it from me, but I use Pledge (use Pledge as opposed to "other" furniture pollishes, since I don't think they're all alike) on my window moldings everytime I wash the car. I've had this "confirmed" as a great detailing secret by a buddy who shows his VW Bug (and who heard the same thing in the VW show circles). The results are fantastic.

The way that I first used Pledge on my Z06 was after using it for 2+ years on my (then new) Jeep Wrangler flares (I had larger aftermarket flares put on, and so I had a "fresh canvas" to start with). After years of nasty weather (including heavy salt, salt air at the shore, snow, rain, sun, and mud), the flares look like new (seriously -- they really do) after a wash and wiping with Pledge. Next time you see a Jeep in your neigborhood, you'll know if they used Armorall on them -- they'll be a sickly white color, and blotchy. Since the Pledge worked so well -- and over TIME -- on my Jeep, I've used it on my Z06.

I have no idea what's in Pledge. I just know it's good stuff for the moldings!

-Kirk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes! Yes! Yes! I live in Las Vegas where the temp. will reach 110 degrees easily, sometimes higher. I use the GM Dielectric Silicone Grease at least twice a year on my 40th Anniversary Ruby on all weather stripping and it has remained in new condition after 9 years! I will continue to use it on my '02 Z06.

·
Registered
218 Posts
After reading the poll, most you guys obviously have more money than I have. I keep my Corvettes for a while and replacing the weather stripping is not an option! Silicone Grease is cheap insurance compared to the cost of new weather stripping.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
weatherstripping

Has anyone looked closely at their weatherstripping? :cool: The the weather stripping at the top and rear of both side windows looks like it is starting to crack like you would expect to see on an older car. :-? My Z06 was made in August 2001 and has been in the garage most of its short life. Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one.:(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm more worried about keeping my weather stripping ON...than whether it's lubed or not... :roll:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Funny you mention that, I found a section of weather stripping hanging below the driver's door and I have less than 200 miles on my Z06! Maybe it's not so funny. The quality of my '93 Ruby looks better everyday. Problems with quality control?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
retiredSFer said:
Yes! Yes! Yes! I live in Las Vegas where the temp. will reach 110 degrees easily, sometimes higher. I use the GM Dielectric Silicone Grease at least twice a year on my 40th Anniversary Ruby on all weather stripping and it has remained in new condition after 9 years! I will continue to use it on my '02 Z06.
Thanks for the info. Good to hear that it works, sounds like it's worth the effort. Now I just got to get off my duff and do it. ;) Problem is now it's too damn cold! :eek: 14 degrees with snow tomorrow, a low of 1 degree on Sunday! :eek:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
NOW U Z ME said:

Lemon Pledge
I also use it for my interior, old biker trick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts