Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that President Bush has signed legislation that auto makers have to meet 35 MPG , some are saying that the muscle car era is ending. Gas prices are expected to rise dramatically after the elections. Some experts and commentators state that big oil is losing presently and is waiting till after the elections to start making up for lost profits presently. They haven't adjusted much due to the 100 dollar a barrel increases. They are talking 4.50 to 5.00 a gallon. We'll see. Unlike the 70's our muscle car gets 26 MPG which I love! Pickup trucks have been the staple of most manufactures and they average 11-15 Mpg. So my question is "Do you think our cars will level or go up in price as demand for muscle may not be answered by manufactures ?" Meaning past muscle may be the only answer for some. I'm sure there will be many small displacment, fast cars but nothing I would be comfortable in or even consider. Some are here now I just don't fit in them and they get worst gas mileage than our Zo6 to my surprise. Subaru WRX as an example. Fast, small, 20mpg on a good day. Nothing I would consider. I remember 70 GTO's going for $500. dollars in the mid to late 70's. I don't think that will happen to us. Let's hear it chime in!! I know there are alot of variables to the statements but in general!

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can agree w/ that!! In 1989 I bought my 1970 GTO 455 HO 4 speed, w every option offered in 1970 for $4000 dollars. All original .And it needed some work. Sold it 4 yrs later sold it for 4000 dollars. Bought it back 70% restored in 2001 for 15000. dollars. Now it's in the 30's I'm told!!! Want to buy an all original #'s matching GTO?!! So far it's a good investment!!! I'm keeping my Z I tell Ya!! Have a great Christmas!! God Bless Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know I just hate :mad: when the government gets involved and messes everything up. We the public would save untold amount of oil and have less polution if we didn't have to sit in traffic jams all the time,but NOOOOOO its not the governments fault that the infastruture is so messed up in the USA.They want to turn us into alittle Europe with little scooters and tiny little cars.If our elected officials would actually drive on the roads maybe they might see this.Its a sad thing when the govern. keeps making more stupid laws and more regulations that just keeps taking everbodys freedoms away.As far as the value yea if you keep a z for 20yrs it might be worth something but for anytime in the near future used anything is not worth much.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
It will probably take several years for Z06 values to go up any appreciable amount. I paid cash for my 2006 Z 26 months ago and supposedly here is what it is worth today

I will be selling it before I pick up a ZR-1 so I'll bet it goes down even more by then.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it would take years for it to go up under lessons of the past. But if they stopped making muscle as we know it today, what we have may hold value to many tomorrow. Like they say about ocean front property 'They aint making any more of it ! ' Which is why it cost more and is desired. Give me the choice in say 5 years A mitsubishi Evo that does an 11 sec 1/4 ml and a used c6z that gets 7 mpg less than the Evo. The Z will hold more value to me for many other reasons mainly size and comfort which the new 35 mpg cars will not have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
35 mpg average is not due till 2020 and they will make a ton of high performance cars between now and then. I would bet everything I have that all but the rarest of cars will depreciate. GM will continue to build a Z06 for anyone who wants to buy one so demand will exceed supply. Not to mention the fact that every couple of years they make improvements so why would you pay more for a car a couple of years old then a new one? Who is buying an 07 for the same or more as a new 08? Not me, not you, nobody.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can agree w/ that. I didn't realize that it took effect in 2020. I guess the thought would have to switch to the zo6 of 2018 or 2019!

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are an electronic nightmare now. I was the original owner of my o3 Z and had no real mod other than an air cleaner. I had to warranty that car for various elctrical problems about 25 times!! That was one of the reasons I moved into the 08 Z when I could. Hope this one is better.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Now that President Bush has signed legislation that auto makers have to meet 35 MPG , some are saying that the muscle car era is ending. Gas prices are expected to rise dramatically after the elections. Some experts and commentators state that big oil is losing presently and is waiting till after the elections to start making up for lost profits presently. They haven't adjusted much due to the 100 dollar a barrel increases. They are talking 4.50 to 5.00 a gallon. We'll see. Unlike the 70's our muscle car gets 26 MPG which I love! Pickup trucks have been the staple of most manufactures and they average 11-15 Mpg. So my question is "Do you think our cars will level or go up in price as demand for muscle may not be answered by manufactures ?" Meaning past muscle may be the only answer for some. I'm sure there will be many small displacment, fast cars but nothing I would be comfortable in or even consider. Some are here now I just don't fit in them and they get worst gas mileage than our Zo6 to my surprise. Subaru WRX as an example. Fast, small, 20mpg on a good day. Nothing I would consider. I remember 70 GTO's going for $500. dollars in the mid to late 70's. I don't think that will happen to us. Let's hear it chime in!! I know there are alot of variables to the statements but in general!

oil companies are still making a killing, who told you they are not making a profit. Trust me they are still at record hi's. You want the gas prices to go down? get more refineries built. No one will allow a new refinery to be built to product more gas so the price will stay hi. Oil companies are making gas with refineries that are 50 yrs old, yet they are making it cleaner and safer and the refineries are producing at record volumes. But for the gas demanding citizens it's still not fast enough.

You want gas prices to go down, get legilsation passed for new refineries.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I said lost profits I meant that they are not making the same pecentages as they were. I'm well aware that they are making plenty of money presently. They just aren't making the same % based on what they are now paying for the same product. They will make up for it. It's well known that it is just about impossible to build a refinery. No arguement. Personally I don't think big oil wants any refineries. They could'nt justify higher prices then. This is a manipulated market w/ a lot of bull###. Debeers pulls the same crap w/ diamonds. If they let all the diamonds they hold onto the market they would be worth 1/2 of what they charge. Same w/ oil if they could refine as much as demanded it would be cheaper and more competitive . And yes I would love cheaper gas prices but I've never seen taxes go down either! It won't happen. They will squeeze until this economy chokes and our society suffers. They need something to blame it on so don't plan on any refineries soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fall for sure.

Will only go up if you wait long enough. I don't think I'll live long enough
to see mine worth more than I paid. Maybe my grand kids will - if I ever
have any that is!

·
Registered
11 Posts
They will make too many, so I doubt it. If your thinking of a repeat performance of the muscle car era and the values those cars are bringing these days, IMO I don't think it will happen.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I can agree w/ that there are alot of Z's out there and it just doesn't matter to most as priorities are going to change as time goes on. Good thing I kept my 1970 GTO 455 HO, 4 spd #'s matching w/ all the options! I better sell her now before it gets worse. Any muscle collectors out there?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts