Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is considering the Dodge Durango as his daily driver and work truck, he wants it b/c you dont see that many around and likes how it looks. Can you guys give me any info on it?

Is the reason you dont see to many around b/c it has problems? Anyone have any experience with one?

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My buddy had one. He said it was the biggest POS he has ever owned. His trans. shit the bed and had numerous problems with the 4 wheel drive..He traded it in for the new Chevy Trailblazer. He said it was awesome, but I have yet to get a ride in it. Plenty of power from the 270 hp in-line 6:cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Durango

One of my friends has a Durango...however, he has the 365hp Shelby version thats pretty badass. It's all tweaked out with Stillen brakes, seats, supercharger, etc. At this point in time, its at nitrous express getting a 100 shot installed. If you want to go that route you could have 1 mean machine, but if not, don't buy one...they are POS in my opinion. If you want some photos of it, let me know.

Cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I've got a 2000 Durango and I've had one problem with it, the weatherstripping on the top of the rear glass came out, but I may have done it dragging a huge Christmas tree across the back glass (who woulda thunk it :) )

Lemme know if you want some pics and I'll take some tomorrow.....its black with the full off road package and running bars, looks mean.......

JC

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I've got three buddies with Durangos. None of them have had any major or recurring problems with them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have a 2001 durango,It's one mean 4 x 4 ,my wife thinks she owns the road in it ( so dont get in her way:lol: ) It has the 4.9 v8 235 h.p. plenty of juice for her!!
Only one problem out of 16 months of ownership , it needed a new fan clutch which was covered under warranty.
My opinion if you like something a little research helps, then buy it..:guiness:

·
Registered
483 Posts
dodge durango

My son has a 2000 Durango with the 5.9 engine in it(Its for sale). He hasnt had any problems with it since he bought it new. As far as a pos I dont see any owners posting that and that hasnt been my sons experience. The reason its for sale is he bought a 2002 chevy avalanche, thought he could afford both but alas one has to go.

alan

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Ah, I should have added, I have the 5.9L Magnum engine which comes in at just over 10mpg! That's the kicker.........

JC

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2000 Durango and have not had problems. I bought it to tow my Camaro to the drag strip. It has the tow package and 3:55 gears. The only down side to the Durango, as far as I'm concerned, is the mileage sucks big time. I average about 12-13 mpg.

Rick

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Rick I want my 2-3 miles per gallon back man!

Seriously though, I wonder if all the skid plates, bars and tow package weigh enough to get me down to 10......

I've also noticed that not many Durango's have the same tires as mine, they all seem much smaller.........

JC

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
A good friend of mine had one and only kept it for a month. Tranny problems, widows would fail to close (in the rain), and brake problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive had one for about two years through my company and it has been nice. Especially for 6 or 7 passengers, but gas has been the biggest expense. I had the smaller V8 (318 or something ) but got around 13 mi. average per gallon.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've got a 2000 SLT with all the trimmings (4x4, 5.9L, towing package, etc) and love it. No problems after 18K miles.
I got it for the seven seats that fold down easily enough for my wife and the towing capacity (over 7K).
As the others have said, the only downside is the mileage (about 13 mpg). But the tank is big (25 gal) and the cruising range is fair.
The new 2002 GMC Envoy with 3 row seats may be a good alternative. I think the Chevy version is the Trailblazer.
Ffen

·
Registered
288 Posts
I occasionally drive my friends 2000 durango on the weekend when I work for him. He hasn't had any major problem with it, but in my opinion its a POS in comparison to my yukon. It handles a little sloppy at highway speeds, and the braking system is much to be desired for. The fit and finish on the yukon appears to be much better also. Obviously I'm partial to GM but I must say I also drive his 2000 dodge duelly w/ the turbo diesle.... very impressive! Outstanding power and towing, perfect work truck. If my friend were in the market for a durango I would at least suggest a test drive in a yukon, tahoe, or trail blazer...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
99 Durango as my wifes Daily driver

My wife has a '99 Durango as her daily driver. She averages about 14 MPG between fill ups. The only problems we have had have all been minor and fixed by the dealership. The car now has almost 60k miles and many more to go.

We use for it family trips and towing a 5,000lb boat which it handles without a problem.

4x4 has never had a problem. Although we rarely have a need for it except in winter driving and when getting the boat off a steep launch ramp.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2000 SLT with all options and no problems at all, great in the snow also, only negative is terrible fuel milage.

·
Registered
787 Posts
A friend of mine had one. Had all sorts of transmission and front end problems with it. And that was with 100% on-road driving. Oh, the fuel economy was bad too. He gets better mileage with his new Escalade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW Thanks for all the replies everyone! I have been trying to talk him into a Chevy Tahoe and I think he might reconsider after I tell him what you guys have told me.

Thanks for the info!

Tommy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts