Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got the "Junior", which is only 0.750 amps and it does great with my Optima Redtop! Fires right up like a brand new battery every time. My garage gets fairly cold in the winter and the car sits - a lot. I think it's a good test of the Battery Tender's capability. Get one - you will love knowing the battery is being charged and conditioned all the time. :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Hmn... had to go look.
I've got the 1.25A BT plus ... had it nearly 6 years ... first on the OE Delco, and last three years on an Odyssey dry cell. Mine is like IndyDave's ... and I don't leave it on the tender continually ... each week that I don't run it I put it on the tender for 12-24 hours ...
Never a problem ...

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
There is a reason they are called 'battery tenders'.

Without going into detail as to why, Battery Tenders are designed to be left on continuously. Taking them on and off may do more harm than good. Each time you put it on for example it brings the battery up to full charge. Repeating this bi-weekly, etc, can be detrimental (it can result in increased sulfation among other things).

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Thanks, ND ... that's probably what the directions say as well ... I should have read them ... :bang:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I think I read somewhere that "trickle" chargers never turn off and float chargers trigger on and off as necessary. Just throwing out some useless info. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I read somewhere that "trickle" chargers never turn off and float chargers trigger on and off as necessary. Just throwing out some useless info. LOL
You will burn a battery up with the old trickle chargers. It MUST be a float charger.

Buy the original AC/Delco battery. They are quality batteries. They are sealed so the terminals never need cleaning. And, if you want an AGM they have one of those as well. They fit perfectly. I drove a Cadillac CTS V for 208,000 miles. I never had a trickle charger on it. I put three batteries on it. It was the same size as my Vette. Which, by the way, is the exact same batter that came in my 2011 GMC Yukon.

My Z07 does not get driven as much, so I will plug in a trickle charger on occasion. Don't let anyone tell you these eat batteries. It has everything to do with how much they are driven. If they cannot fully recharge while driving, the trickle charger is the key. Mine has a cigarette lighter port for charging. I just plug in and walk away. Battery Tender Jr. does the rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts