Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the time to call The Goodyear Tire Company and ask them this question as I have heard various answers from no effect to your tire is now rated as a T tire(118mph max).

Goodyear says, as long as your tire is properly patched(NOT PLUGGED)from the inside and it's a simple small puncture repair with no other damage and it's on top the tread from 1' from the inside or outside edge of the tire, the tire does not lose it's "Y" speed rating.

This will work for up to 2 punctures. Upon puncture #3, the tire will lose it's speed rating.

This is GREAT NEWS for those of us who have had a nail puncture our tires!!

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Great job researching that, Barrie! I was always under the impression that just 1 puncture would drop the rateing no matter what. Thanks from a lot of us! :cheers:

Dave

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys :)

On another thread there was a lot of differing opinion and experience on this question. Soooo, I decided to call The Source and find out for sure.

Glad I did and happy to share what I found ;)

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
Goodyear says, as long as your tire is properly patched(NOT PLUGGED)from the inside and it's a simple small puncture repair with no other damage and it's on top the tread from 1' from the inside or outside edge of the tire, the tire does not lose it's "Y" speed rating.
"Y" rating?? Is this higher than "Z", which is what I thought these tires where marked as on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Z rating means the tire has a maximum speed rating of 149 mph.

If you look just to the right of the tire size on your F1 SC's, you'll see "91Y," which indicates a maximum speed rating of 186 mph and the "91" means the tire can carry a maximum load of 1,356 lbs.

I'm not sure why the "Z" appears in the tire size other than to say the "Z" means the it's the highest speed rated tire and the "Y" defines it's maximum speed. Before the "W" and "Y" rating came out the "Z" was the fastest rating. On new tires, the speed rating letter is no longer in the size description except for "Z" rated tires. Go figure :-?

:guiness:
Barrie

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I think it is also a matter of who you talk to. The manufacturer will say they don't loose a speed rating while the vender says yes?? I think the vender wants to get you nervous so you will buy a new tire!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts