Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a memeber of the bmw club and most of my DE's are through them. I think they run excellent events with great instruction. I dont hear them mentioned here much though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'll be instructing for them during the April DE event at Mid Ohio. I've been teaching for them (and many others) for about 10 years.

The BMW guys always put on a quality and safe show. I'd instruct for them anytime. They treat everyone, especially their instructors, very well!

I still find it amazing that the Porsche Clubs, Audi, BMW, etc all put on exceptional driving events. Where are the Corvette clubs!?!?!? I'm sure it's happened, but in all these years, I cannot recall a single vette club putting on a DE event - east of Mississippi that is. Most vette clubs just want to take theirs out of the garage once a month and show it. What a huge waste. :screwy:

·
Registered
967 Posts
wtknght1 said:
Most vette clubs just want to take theirs out of the garage once a month and show it. What a huge waste. :screwy:
It is a waste.

One of the best all around performance cars and all some people do is make it a garage queen...... :(

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
two Corvette club DE's at Pocono ... one in April, one end of May.
One corvette club DE at Summit ... last half of June

·
Banned
809 Posts
We have two in our area in Northern Illinois. The Chicago chapter is too strict IMO. They run a radar gun in the kink at Road America. I heard that they even decided to run the chicane that the Superbikes run for the last couple of events to bypass the kink.

The Badger Bimmer's is a lot better group if you're looking to do a DE with the BMW guys in the area. They are safe, but they don't go overboard like the Chicago chapter.

Sal

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've run several times with Peachtree BMW Clar Club out at Road Atlanta - ALWAYS a great event. Great people, not snobby, no matter what you run.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but in response to above re: Corvette Clubs not doing DE's:
The National Corvette Museum is sponsoring a DE at Carolina Motorsports Park for the first time later this year.
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/registration/HPDE/agenda.shtml
I haven't registered yet, but plan on being there!

·
Registered
744 Posts
salvador said:
We have two in our area in Northern Illinois. The Chicago chapter is too strict IMO. They run a radar gun in the kink at Road America. I heard that they even decided to run the chicane that the Superbikes run for the last couple of events to bypass the kink.

The Badger Bimmer's is a lot better group if you're looking to do a DE with the BMW guys in the area. They are safe, but they don't go overboard like the Chicago chapter.

Sal
Agreed - I've run with both, and even though I'm a Chicagoan, I agree, they are uptight. Badger is better - same goes for PCA. Milwaukee better than Chicago - but I am glad they all run so many events. I'm going wheel to wheel this year, so I'll see 'em less :jammin:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mooch, do you (or your BMW club of choice) ever run at Watkins Glen? If so, I would be interested in contact info for the club you use. Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mooch said:
watkins glen is the track i go to the most. I will be there this year may14-15 and july 13,14,15. I run with 2 groups: both bmw cca clubs: genesee valley ( www.gvc-bmwcca.org) and delaware valley (www.delvalleybmwcca.org).

Maybe we should try to put on some z06vette.com DE's.
Now there's a good idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
"Maybe we should try to put on some z06vette.com DE's."

Great idea! These cars are made to be driven, not turned into gussied up garage queens. Some of us like road courses not drag strips. I firmly believe that the only safe place to find the true performance potential of the vehicle is as the track. No better setting for that than a supervised DE with experienced instructors, pre-run vehicle tech inspection, run off areas, etc.

I have done a couple of Motor City BMW club DE's at Michigan International Speedway in my 540i and they have been very fun and informative. The driver of the TransAm WS6 didn't look too happy when I passed him in my four door sedan.

Participants included the usual BMW and Porsches' + Ford Probe GT and a couple of nice Vettes including a very impressive Grandsport with huge hoosier slicks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know how to organize these things from the ground up, but I'll certainly volunteer to instruct - classroom and track.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Driver's Education. It's where normal drivers can get on some of the finest race tracks and drive their car. It involves instructors who usually ride in your car and teach you the art of high performance driving. Passing is controlled and it is a SCHOOL. Because of those things, your insurance will cover it god forbid anything happens.

Check out www.tracquest.com; www.carguysinc.com and several others for more info.

It's the best thing since sliced bread. It's also more addictive than crack!!!! ha ha

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Cumberland Corvette club does a DE at Pocono every spring.

One of the OH clubs does a DE at Nelson Ledges every yr also-only corvette clubs that I know of that run HPDE's regularly.

We have a Z06vette.com DE during the Z06fest in July going on at Nashville Speedway:thumb:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Frankly, I can see both sides to this deal.

Driving your Corvette on a track does chip the paint, pock the windshield, and wears out suspension and brake parts quickly. While the driveline holds together pretty well, there is much more heat and stress on the system. Some folks just don't want to put their baby to the test so severely.

Also, since our cars are so sleek and good-looking compared to so many boxy BMWs and tortise-shaped Porsches, I can see where folks just want to keep their sleek missle looking good.

Frankly, the Z06 fraternity and the regular Vette fraternity often view things differently, anyway. To each his own. :cheers:

Besides, if Z06 folks held lots of DEs, who but Z06 folks would come? No point in showing up just to be humiliated. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
wtknght1 said:
I'll be instructing for them during the April DE event at Mid Ohio. I've been teaching for them (and many others) for about 10 years.

The BMW guys always put on a quality and safe show. I'd instruct for them anytime. They treat everyone, especially their instructors, very well!

I still find it amazing that the Porsche Clubs, Audi, BMW, etc all put on exceptional driving events. Where are the Corvette clubs!?!?!? I'm sure it's happened, but in all these years, I cannot recall a single vette club putting on a DE event - east of Mississippi that is. Most vette clubs just want to take theirs out of the garage once a month and show it. What a huge waste. :screwy:
I agree with wknight1 - most Vette owners in Louisiana are garage queens and drive coupes with automatic trannys... They rarely drive the cars hard and attends DEs or SCCA events. I am hoping to enjoy the Houston car scene much more than the lackluster Louisiana car scene.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Last year I ran with the Porsche Bmw club down hear in south Florida. Great bunch of drivers, and cars. Only a 3 Z06's at the event...which I thought was alot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts