Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I ran a DE at Gingerman with the Northshore Corvette Club last year. I am sure they are doing it again this year. Very nice group of people and very laid back. They are the only Corvette club I have found around Chicago that actually goes to a track. Why are so many Corvette folks into buffing and polishing only, the Z06 is close to being dominate on the track have some fun! There is no way you can enjoy all the perfomance of your Z on the street. I have to run with PCA groups to get the track time I want, most are very accomadating to other makes of cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello All,

I agree that the BMW and PCA clubs for the most part put on very good events. I instruct for them and other clubs and their (BMW & PCA) events are always well run in our area. The problem with the PCA events here are that they're only open to Porsches. They don't allow any non-P cars to run at their track events. The BMW club allows non-BMWs at their events. If your looking for Corvette friendly events at the Pocono and Lime Rock tracks Connecticut Autocross & Rally Team (C.A.R.T.) runs DE with time trials (at the end of the day) at both tracks. As a matter of fact they are holding an event on May 13th at the Pocono north course featuring the Corvette Marque. Their other dates at Pocono are 8/1 (south course) and 9/2 (north course). Lime Rock dates are 6/23 and 9/16. It would be nice to see a big Corvette turn out at the May 13th event. I know a few forum members are planning on going. For more info www.cartct.com

Brian

·
Registered
350 Posts
quickZ said:
Frankly, I can see both sides to this deal.

Driving your Corvette on a track does chip the paint, pock the windshield, and wears out suspension and brake parts quickly. While the driveline holds together pretty well, there is much more heat and stress on the system. Some folks just don't want to put their baby to the test so severely.

Frankly, the Z06 fraternity and the regular Vette fraternity often view things differently, anyway. To each his own. :cheers:

Besides, if Z06 folks held lots of DEs, who but Z06 folks would come? No point in showing up just to be humiliated. :rofl:
What do you think a car with 350-400HP/TQ, 6 forward gears, independent front and rear suspension, a limited slip differential, monster tires and monster brakes was designed to do? It was not designed to sit in a garage collecting dust. It was made to be driven...and driven hard.

And, just because somebody has a 'regular' Corvette, doesn't mean they'll be 'humiliated' by a Z06 owner. A good driver in a normal vette (or normal car) will dust a poor driver in a Z or anything else. The object of the 'game' is to become a more competent and confident driver. If it never comes out of the garage, you'll never find out just how good of a machine it really is...and you increase the likelyhood of doing something dumb in it because you don't know it's strengths and weaknesses...and how to control it.

Put simply, the smile on your face after a driver's education event will be twice as big as your smile after a boring car show! And the memory will last you the rest of your life! Drive hard.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Subdriver said:
I've done DEs with BMW, Porsche, Alfa and independent clubs. They're all good. :D
Now there's a guy with a positive attitude! And in fact you're right! It's all good!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I agree with Subdriver they're all good the BMW club here in the NW are a great bunch. :cheers: The only reason one can.t run with the Porsche club is thier events are always full of club members,I guess those porsche guys like thier racing more..or more racers buy Porsches.Our Corvette clubs sponsor at least one event a year and some even sponsor SCCA drivers.DEs are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.IMO,but it's not for everyone.Most people are scared of speed.In the summer it is possible to do one event a week,if you can afford it.Most are on a weekday too,so taking off work,once a week might be hard to swing.I go through brakes quick too.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts