Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have the Rev limiter for winding em' UP.......
Does anyone make a similar device for the event of shifting into a LOWER gear.........thus trashing the pushrods, and maybe more???.
Seems like this would be an automatic No Brainer item to install/sell............
I would buy one, how about you guys????:)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Stuff Breaks

Your rev limiter will work if say for instance you drop from 5th to second. The rev limiter is only looking at rpm, not acceleration or deceleration.

The only problem is this. If you are going fast enough to redline your motor. Lets say you were doing 100 in 5th gear, and you wanted to pull back to 4th to accelerate and you went to second instead.

It would be a very bad thing... You rev limiter would come on and there would be lots of noise, your tires would lock up, and if your didn't loose control, or break anyhting, or soil your drawers you would be very lucky.

My understanding is that the hydraulic roller setup in our cars is pretty much maxxed out at 7000rpm. Anything beyond that is pretty much the big bad danger zone.

Now, what would your rev limiter have accomplished. Quite honestly nothing. The rev limiter rods spark from the motor to not allow it to accelerate past a certain point. If you somehow manage to mechanically overide this (in this case by using the mass of the car, plus it current rate of speed, plus the gear multiplication of the transmission) there is nothing on the face of the planet that will stop it from breaking stuff.

Your best hope in the case this ever happens is to pay attention, and to push the clutch in.... This will break the link between the transmission and your motor and the rpms will come down (and hopefully everything will still be in one piece).

I have seen the same thing happen in fact to a friend of mine. They were towing a 38ft enclosed trailer in Colorado with a 2000 Ford F350 4x4 with a Power Stroke Deisel. The vehicle was equipped with a Jake-Brake (exhaust brake). My friends husband went to go down a gear as they descended down a mountain. He did basically the same thing as I described, only in a deisel. It buried the tach, and broke alot of stuff. I beleive they ended up replacing both heads and a lot of other misc stuff.

So, the only thing I can suggest is to be careful....

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense..........

Thanks...............I AM being careful......but this 6 speed stuff is NEW to me, and 2nd, is awful close to 4th.........:eek:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
All the more reason to replace that shifter........very hard to miss with a Ripper.....(or one of the other brands)

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ripper........

As much as I HATE mod's to stock screamers......I guess I will break down and go the Ripper route.......I was satisfied with the stock shifter, when it had near zero miles.......as it's loosened up, it has gotten "Less", user friendly.......and should be just the OPPOSITE.
Me thinks the stock shifter is TOO long.......(High)........
Does/is the Ripper's shift pattern closer together..............meaning LESS distance to throws?????
Never seen/heard of one......till this forum.:-?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Recent comments suggest that the way overdue Hurst shifter (overdue by a couple years is it??) is finally going to be out Real Soon Now. Testers have test units. It does sound like it might be for real this time.

The Hurst is the only design that offers adjustable springs to modify the required force.

Since my car is still a few weeks away, I can wait some. Besides, I don't think having a gear shift around the house would make it any easier..

·
Registered
467 Posts
The trannies protect against this (at least high-end, properly designed ones do)... they do not allow you into a gear that is too high for the engine. At least not without a LOT of force. I dont know if this is done via the syncho's or springs or what.

I know this mechinism didn't work well on '95-'96 M3's... everyone was was mis-shifting from 5th into 2nd (not 4th) and blowing up their engines... there was a class action law-suit against BMW... and BMW came out with a fix. The other downshift combo's were not a problem.

Has anyone tried this on the Z06?? Will it let you into too low of a gear? Dont let the clutch out in the test!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Of course you can make the infamous 3-2 shift at WOT/redline...*ouch*

People have been working on a lockout mechanism for it, not quite sure on the status of that, it's the fbody guys, give 'em some time. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts