Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somone had once implied to me that an open can of brake fluid doesn't have a shelf life. "May as well throw it way".

Is this true? I've got two open can's of ATE Super Blue and was wondering if i could use those after a upcomming brake flush or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm, I was told that the brake system makes it go bad. A few months ago, I emailed Redline oil to ask them about shelf life, and they said once it goes in the engine, then it changes. But it will not change much just sitting around. (good forever unopened) Might want to email super blue? I had a can of super blue that sat on the shelf opened for 4 months and I just put it in the car? Looked OK?

·
Registered
892 Posts
As long as the cap is closed tightly on the bottle, it should be fine. Moisture is the biggest problem with brake fluid going bad. If moisture can't get in it, then it will last a long time on the shelf. If the cap was loose or wasn't sealed properly, then yes, its garbage.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Brake fluid, like motor oil, will break down with excess heat. It degrades very slowly, otherwise (though the laws of thermodynamics demand it will eventually decompose even at room temperature).

The problem with open containers of Brake Fluid is the absorption of moisture. Brake Fluid is very "hydroscopic", it soaks up water from the atmosphere like a sponge.

That water can corrode brake system components, but the principal issue is that the water comes out of solution when the fluid gets hot enough making steam which has the same effect as air in a brake line (meaning, brake function is impaired).

Tightly capped, an opened bottle of brake fluid has nearly the same shelf life as an unopened bottle.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm - maybe for the couple of bucks i should just buy some new fluid to be sure. I'll be on the track on 3/31 - hence the question. I was thinking of trying Motul RBF 600. Its got slightly higher boiling points.

Anyone have a good place to buy it in Maryland or via mail?
Any reason not to go with Motul?

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've heard the same thing from other racers about throwing it away if you don't use the whole bottle. I never use a full bottle, it always ends up being part of a bottle and I don't throw mine away. I cap it and use it later. Of course, later for me is never that long either.

If you bleed the brakes often at track events, I would just cap it and use it until it is gone.

FYI, Wilwood EXP 600 Plus is a good alternative to Motul RBF 600 and is American as far as I can tell. I switched to this fluid last year and am very happy with it. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts