Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I have noticed that a lot of you all have lowered you cars using the stock suspension adjustment route. I love the way it looks and really want to lower my car but I have a question, does lowering the car affect the way it performs as far as handing goes? I know it will ride a little stiffer and may me more prone to dragging, but I was just curious if it changes the way it handles? Maybe handles beter? Just wondering. You guys with lowered cars, they look awesome!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Yes Andy...

... it lowers the center of gravity and helps the car corner better with less lean. It also puts more air over the top of the car at speed, and since it does not have an aerodynamic tunnel creates more downforce for the car. Not much but a little more. The real advantage is in handleing.

I also found that the addition of the Penske shocks helped, they have a shorter body with a longer shaft and have the body weight unsprung. So you have equal or better dampening from a shorter shock. Thus they give a better ride, better performance are tunable (I have the double adjustables) plus there is no fade what so ever with the remote reservoirs.

The lowering and the hiigh performance shock help with not only cornering but aid in acceleration and braking as well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I haven't taken mine to extreme limits since I lowered it, but I did get a bit aggressive with it, and I though that it seemed to step out a bit in the rear end. :eek: I had cut the bushings in the back to get it real low. I have since went with the 7 inch bolts and the bushings are back in. Still sits the same height 25 7/8 front, 26 5/8 rear. :cool: Not sure if that will help the handling, but it will help the ride. Once I get it out in the spring, I will put it through its paces and see if I need to go to Bilstiens. you can view pics here. :cheers:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/tonyscott/Z06.htm

G

·
It depends on how its done and if its tuned properly.

Ill effects.

1. lowering and then not weighing and measuring each corner.
( you end up shifting the center of gravity, worse then what it was and also effects front/rear weight ratio)

2. Not revalving shocks or going with a shock designed for lower height.
( stock shocks were designed for the stock car height and expects certain amount of travel on piston shaft, lowering then does not allow the shock to have the same travel, changing how the shock reacts.
I use a shock that mounts inverse to stock ones, has shorter piston rod and allows for external adjustments for compression and rebound of shock)

3. Too low and car bottoms out.
(I use bump stops to prevent shock from going full travel on piston shaft.

Lowering the car minimizes the amount of air moving under the car, thus helps reduce high speed lift that effects handling.

Full 4 wheel alignment and matching sway bar(s) size to match how you want the car to handle.
Example when I lowered the car and during open road racing, at 150 MPH into curves, back end was hard into those corners.
After adjustments, I could take the same curves at higher speeds and the car tracked quite well.

So what I was trying to say, just wrenching on bolts of suspension to lower car may make it look cool but without making changes/adjustments don't epxect quality high speed cornering.
If the other changes are not done as an example at a ORR this last spring a lowered C5 went into a corner at high speed,, coming out of this long sweeper the car did not want to level out and car broke loose ( front end plowed downwards) and now lives in a junkyard and that was with a pro driver who has raced for 30 years. This was a brand new Z06.

BTW mine is lowered 2 3/4 inches lower then stock.

Andy Cravens said:
Hey everybody, I have noticed that a lot of you all have lowered you cars using the stock suspension adjustment route. I love the way it looks and really want to lower my car but I have a question, does lowering the car affect the way it performs as far as handing goes? I know it will ride a little stiffer and may me more prone to dragging, but I was just curious if it changes the way it handles? Maybe handles beter? Just wondering. You guys with lowered cars, they look awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts