Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have vowed not to do any real mods until I can get the hang of my car enough to @ least get a 12.9, so I just wanted to see if:

removing the MAF screen helps?
removing the pup cats helps?
a K&N filter helps (I am @ 389x ft asl)?

I am going to a track tomorrow so we will see what happens?

Any real world experience with this for you 01' owners?

thanks,
danny

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Removing the screen may smooth the air flow through the sensor, GM did remove it on the 02s - 04s but I don't think you will see any performance improvements there. I removed it from mine but I don't think it made any major difference. I did not have any problems after I removed the screen. I know many other 01 owners that have removed the screen with no problems.

If you are going to do long tube headers, which I think provides some nice gains, you will be removing the pre-cats. The removal of the pre-cats is worth about 5 rwhp. However, if you are not going to install long tubes, I don't know that it is worth it to "gut" the pre-cats.

I can provide some input from my experience that I had on my 01. I had a BPP Vortex Rammer, HallTech carbon fiber air bridge with smooth couplers, BPP long tube headers, street x-pipe with stock main cats, Borla Stingers and a BPP custom tune. I gained 60 to 65 rwhp and rwt over the stock setup with a very nice flat torque curve. It also had a very aggressive sound above 3K RPM.

You mentioned that you wanted to achieve 12.9 in the 1/4 mile before doing anything. Keep in mind that atmospheric conditions have a HUGE impact on performance. A car running the 1/4 in hot climates such as west Texas or other similar places with have significantly higher times than those doing so in the northern climates. If you want to break in the 12's take your car to the northeast or upper midwest. You can knock off a good .5 to 1.0 seconds over that of heat soaked Texas, Arizona, Florida or other similar locations.

Chirodan said:
I have vowed not to do any real mods until I can get the hang of my car enough to @ least get a 12.9, so I just wanted to see if:

removing the MAF screen helps?
removing the pup cats helps?
a K&N filter helps (I am @ 389x ft asl)?

I am going to a track tomorrow so we will see what happens?

Any real world experience with this for you 01' owners?

thanks,
danny

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
JMO but I'd leave the screen in and remove the pup cats......

I like the precision metering with the screen and dislike the added backpressure of the pup cats...

Pup cats worth? 3 -5 hp...

Screen (temporary increase and then flattens out to less than started (or the same) Leave the screen...buy Long tube headers...IMO

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info.... anyone know if a K&N helps with more airflow @ these higher elevations?

I have done the zip tie mod but still using the paper filter.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Don't pull the screen unless you're willing to tune the car. The PCM will see less air than is actually flowing and will lean the mixture out a bit. I've found problems with a descreened MAF + this crappy gas that runs leaner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, the screens will stay in.

Anyone @ high altitudes ever see a difference with a K&N??

·
Registered
362 Posts
Chirodan said:
Ok, the screens will stay in.

Anyone @ high altitudes ever see a difference with a K&N??
if you still have the stock airbox--remove the lid-hold filter in place with plastic cable ties or safety wire.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Pulled my screen, didn't feel anything. Gutting pups have been worth 5rwhp by some of the quotes I have seen by other 01 people in here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already done the zip tie mod. Wondering about a K&N.
How do you gut the pup cats?
Is it easy?

AND does it make the car a little louder? I hope so.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do the long tubes. It is well worth the cost and you will remove the pre-cats then. Removing the screen won't hurt your car in the least bit. If you go with a BPP Vortex Rammer and a tune after the headers you will be fine. You will also pick up somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 rwhp with those upgrades. I am sure that will make you smile.

Chirodan said:
I have already done the zip tie mod. Wondering about a K&N.
How do you gut the pup cats?
Is it easy?

AND does it make the car a little louder? I hope so.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Im not sure how much difference you will see by switching to a K&N airfilter. I live at 4,500 feet elevation and I personally run K&N filters in all my cars and trucks.

For my vette I switched to a Vararam and installed the K&N in it.

I like the fact that I can clean the filter and don't have to keep buying throw-aways. I have also seen some flow comparisons between K&N and the stock type paper filters that make me believe they are worth the expense. To me it is a smart and relatively cheap upgrade.

silvertp

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
When I had my 01, I pulled the screen and gutted the pups. Coupled with shorty headers, CAI, cat-back it dyno'd 368 RWHP / 371 RWTQ

·
Registered
267 Posts
FWIW, Removal of the pup cats accounted for 5 fwhp and removal of the screen and tuning accounted for 2.5 fwhp, improved airlid opening about 2 hp and the remainder was the head and cam upgrade on the 01 to 02 engine. That was what the chief z06 engine guru told our local corvette club when the 02 engine was introduced.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not going to do anything expensive like Lt's until I get better 1/4 times. But I think I will:

Do the cats.
leave the screen.
get a K&N.
maybe an Air bridge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts