Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, those SCCA GCR regs are cryptic!!!

What exactly is a GT-1? Is it perimeter-chassis late model stock car with a Five Star body? Or is it something else?

I am confused!

Are all the motors exotic, or are some of them down to earth? It seems to have no regs on valves, valvetrain, and minimal on heads.

The gas regs were a little confusing to me (we have a track gas truck). Do they allow any octane? Can these really be big bore 16:1 engines?

Some of the rules read like a simple street car mods (you can remove the brake backing plates) and others seem more radical than Nextel Cup!

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
While I have raced against and looked over a GT1 car, I am certainly not an expert and can't really answer your question. I suggest you pose it over the scca forums. PM if you need a link.

If you know what a Trans-Am car is, that is essentially what a GT1 car is, but the class is very diverse. There are many ex-Trans-Am cars running in GT1 and then there are some home built low budget cars that I routinely beat in my more or less stock Z06.

If you have not done it and are seriously interested in a GT1 car, I highly suggest that you go to an SCCA National race and look the cars over and talk the the teams about cost. Very $$$ to compete at the top.

http://www.scca.com/Club/National.asp?IdS=00983C-DB52B90&x=030|040&~=

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a class on the west coast that I believe used ASA spec cars. I had thought that was GT-1. However, it does seem the rules are much broader and more $$$ than that. You can get an ASA roller for under $20k and an engine between $10 and 20k. Less than I a T-1 C5 I think.

Just looking for an inexpensive and safe way to get on a road course.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
DavidNJ said:
Just looking for an inexpensive and safe way to get on a road course.
Last I heard, Dave Roush's 99 FRC Vette, Phoenix prepped and updated to Z06 specs with a new 04 crate motor, new diff, rebuilt tranny was for sale as a race ready T1 car for only $33.5k. This car qualified 3rd at the 2004 SCCA National Championship Runoffs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts