Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The C6 radiator has an integrated oil cooler. I was wondering if I could use it in the C5 Z06. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
kmagvette said:
The C6 radiator has an integrated oil cooler. I was wondering if I could use it in the C5 Z06. Anyone know?

If you were going to go to all of this trouble, I'd just get a dual core racing radiator with an integrated oil cooler. MTI in Atlanta, among others, sells and installs them. It will be much better than another street radiator, even with an oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
quickZ said:
If you were going to go to all of this trouble, I'd just get a dual core racing radiator with an integrated oil cooler.
:yeadog: LG and DRM make nice units as well. I have the LG unit and am happy with it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
kmagvette said:

I agree with the previous comments. And the C6 Radiator is unlikely to fit in a C5.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been trying to get a my hands on an LG, but they have been back ordered for quite some time now. I have my second DE in mid July at Watkins Glen and don't want to bake my oil again.

The first time it was only 60 deg outside, overcast, windy and my oil made it to 260. A hot summer day can only be worse.

I hear the DRM unit requires fabrication for the install. After surviving the Duct install, I hesitate to go there again.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
kmagvette said:
I hear the DRM unit requires fabrication for the install. After surviving the Duct install, I hesitate to go there again.
The only fabrication I'm aware of is assembling the lines and -AN fittings. If you ask them, they may take care of that for you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bolt on race parts?........no such thing.

I also have the LG Rad cooler

We ran a 2.4 mile track a couple weeks ago. The ambient temp was between 92-96. Another Z ran 304 degs. My highest temp was 278.

On day two the temp dropped to 80 degs and ran 271 max vs. 300ish for the OE set-up.

While the temps got high even with a cooler, this was as hard as I could push the car for 30 mins at a time. I see this as about the worst case scenario for me. It cooled to 240 by yhe end of a cool off lap. Water temps never got over 208 all weekend, most of the time 201 -205. It really depends on how hard you run. Example, a novice driver on this course would run a 2:08 - 2:10 and be pretty happy, I don't run hard in the first session of the day and those would be my 80% lap times. Under these conditions I saw 248-258.

Warmed up and running much harder (1:59-2:01) is where I saw the high temps with redline shifts throughout.

The install is not that bad. If you decide to buy an LG I have lots of pics. The LG is close to the stock rad in size, no big deal to fit it. The Davis from what I hear is wider and requires minor modification of the shroud. Both are good units IMO. They both use the same fitting that goes to the blocks and the same lines. The slightly larger Davis may be able to run a bit cooler with an extra couple inches in width. I doubt it is too significant.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was finally able to get an LG. Should have shipped yesterday. ZO6Machine provided me with excellent step by step instructions from his install - thanks.

Things are real busy so I won't get a chance to do the install until 7/10, but I am now sure that the install will be straight forward and not risk the DE I have scheduled on 7/20 and 21.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts