Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
91 is ok

Hi there,
91 is ok, as it will work.
Just remember, based on knock sensing within your engine, you may notice a small decrease of power, if you experience this condition.
Best to you, c4c5

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If 91 octane is what ya got, than you have little choice.:(

But, the car will use Sunoco 94 and the use of it will make a noticeable difference. Fortunately, we do not have to put up with California crap fuel and legislation in my area. I was told at the Museum during my delivery, that 93 is the recommended fuel and it can adjust to more (more power :) ) or less (less power :puke: ) as needed...

·
Registered
631 Posts
It will run on it. If you want to boost the octane there are of course expensive additives that you can use. NOS makes one and it is sold in your Pep Boys, Schuck's type of stores. Just be careful not to over rate the fuel in your tank and not to spill the additive on your paint - you could create more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.. I guess I stated the question badly..
What I mean is that will 02 Z06 require at least 93 gas to make
that promised 405 ponies...
I saw the 02 Z06 dyno on Halltech's intake shoot out thread..
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3940
02 is making 337.6hp/333.6tq... many suspect that it is the 91
gas causing the low numbers....
(397hp crank)

I also saw few other 02 dyno being lower than 01's??
Just wondering if 91 gas was really the problem... or that 02 is
not producing as advertised???

Anyone in CA dynoed 01 and 02 with 91 octane gas??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Reality is:
The *required* grade of gasoline for any C5 is 87-octane. With knock retard and a short period of ECM "learning" once you switch to it, the engine will run trouble-free on 87 but with reduced power.

The recemmended grage of gasoline for best performance is, depending on the source (service manual, owner's manual or statements from GM Powertrain engineers), either 91-octane or 93-octane.

I think GM recomendations are worthless, however, because oil company studies and my own research using dynamometer testing shows a minimum of 94.5-oct is required to keep the engine free of knock retard at wide-open throttle in warm weather.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Damn, I'm .5 octane low using Sunoco 94!! :x

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found some 76 selling 100 octane in my area...
I guess I would need... 10 gallons of 91 octane and
7 gallons of 100 octane mixed to get 94.705 gas....
Each gallon of 91 cost around 1.70 vs 4.60 for 100.
Fill up 17 gallons like such would cost 28.9 (all 91) vs
49.2 (mixed).

This sucks... how much is a fill up of 17 gallons of 94
Sunoco's????
(Assuming 17 gallons to fill up vettes)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've been mixing 4gallons of race fuel to 11 gallons of shit CA fuel over here with pretty good results. I might be down a smidge on power, but its not really noticeable (this is compared to a 1:1 mix of race gas to shit gas).

What is noticable, is the complete lack of power with the shitty 91 octane. Remember, not only is the octane rating lower, but the gas is filled with ethanol (which makes less power for a given quantity of fuel).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mgarfias said:
I've been mixing 4gallons of race fuel to 11 gallons of shit CA fuel over here with pretty good results. I might be down a smidge on power, but its not really noticeable (this is compared to a 1:1 mix of race gas to shit gas).

What is noticable, is the complete lack of power with the shitty 91 octane. Remember, not only is the octane rating lower, but the gas is filled with ethanol (which makes less power for a given quantity of fuel).
Is the 332.9rwhp on your sig dynoed with 91 gas??? or the 1:1
mix?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm also in CA.What i'm wondering is can you fill your empty tank with 94 sunaco or with 76 100 octane.Will running these fuels hurt the motor at all.?:(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Torched said:
I'm also in CA.What i'm wondering is can you fill your empty tank with 94 sunaco or with 76 100 octane.Will running these fuels hurt the motor at all.?:(
Dont think so...
It actually sound like that Z06 engines are tuned for 94 octanes..

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
JT-KGY said:

Is the 332.9rwhp on your sig dynoed with 91 gas??? or the 1:1
mix?
That was done in May, before the 92->91 switchover. So, no race gas. However, we did have the car jacked into an OBD-2 scanner and it was pulling a significant amount of ignition timing. My guess is that I'd pick up a few more hp with real fuel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts