Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My black Z looked pretty good paint wise except for the rear fascia, lots of orange peel. Looking at it always bothered me.
(You guys with black know what I mean)

Got a wild hair and went to a friends detail shop, and asked him his opinion of wet sanding just the top portion of the rear end (around the lights and middle letter section). At first he said he would be afraid to do it, but I insisted.

Just to do the back portion starting directly above the license plate area. (Took him 2 1/2 hours from start to finish)

He used 2000 grit paper and water, then compound, and finished up with polish.

The hardest part was in and around the "CORVETTE" letters, as he was real careful not to get into the paint.

I am really pleased with the results. Really looks slick. Matches the rest of the car.

I would imagine it would take a couple of days to do the whole car. Don't think I'd go there.

augydog :D

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Wow! I know nada about wet sanding, but every time I hear about one of you guys using sandpaper on your Z, I wanna barf. So 2000 grit wet paper must feel smooth? It doesn't scratch. Hard to believe.

Anyway, glad you are happy with it. My rear facia (actually the car's) is my favorite part to polish. It is almost perfect and really looks deep and wet after the last coat of Z6.

:D

·
Registered
638 Posts
ROSSO Z said:
Wow! I know nada about wet sanding, but every time I hear about one of you guys using sandpaper on your Z, I wanna barf. So 2000 grit wet paper must feel smooth? It doesn't scratch. Hard to believe.

Anyway, glad you are happy with it. My rear facia (actually the car's) is my favorite part to polish. It is almost perfect and really looks deep and wet after the last coat of Z6.

:D

Got me thinking of something else :p ....but nevermind.

Going back to the topic, glad that it worked out for you. I dont think I can do it to my Z.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You know what they say about opinions, but here is mine:

The car manufacturers do not put nearly enough clear coat on cars today to wet sand them...This is not a good idea...

Wetsanding is for show cars when the painters put TONS of clear over the paint.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
niphilli said:
You know what they say about opinions, but here is mine:

The car manufacturers do not put nearly enough clear coat on cars today to wet sand them...This is not a good idea...

Wetsanding is for show cars when the painters put TONS of clear over the paint.
I don't know about your car, but mine had globs of clear on it thats why the orange peel was so bad. Wet sanding cut it down to the point that it looks good. It still has plenty of clear over the paint.

Difference is like night and day. :thumb:

PS (On a Torch Red, I don't think you can notice the OP that much, but on a black car its real noticeable)

augydog

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Orange peel is not necessarily a sign of lots of clear-coat. It's generally a sign of a quick paint job, like what the factory does. Be very very careful if you try this and use LOTS of water with a mild detergent in it like dish washing soap. Doing this will make a car look really good though. Worked at a body shop for 4 years, had my fill of color/wet sanding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts