Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are CRAP! Bought some polished lugs for my new Iforged wheels. Took off the rear wheel, put on the new one with the new lugs, one stripped out without much torque at all. (PS - I am tightening by hand). Now I move to the front wheel. Torque them down as much as possible with the wheel loose to spin. I then drop the car to put a little weight on the front to torque down the lugs. Just that transfer of weight, and two lugs instantly strip while cinching down. I remove the lugs to inspect the wheel studs, they don't have a hint of strip. It was all the lugs.

Park the car in the garage, let it sit, and I ordered some Gorilla Lugs overnite. I get them in, cinch down as hard as I can, all is fine. So took of ALL the junk lugs, put on all the Gorillas. I wouldn't even consider those AutoZone lugs safe for driving period.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Same thing happened to me, except I ordered them off the other vette forum from House of Wheels. The lugs had flaking chrome when I received them and upon closer examination a couple of them had partial threads on the inside. These lug nuts and locks were made in China. Fortunate for me I never installed them and was able to return them for a refund minus cost of return shipping. I would NOT install those lugs on anything and feel safe at any speed. :jawdrop:
I then bought Gorilla lug nuts for about the same price and there is absolutely no comparison. :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks for the heads -up Mickey :z:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I have used the Gorillas in the past & they were great. I guess the Autozone crap is designed for ricers. :D

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly feel anyone who has those lugs (or similar) are totally at risk driving the car. Like I said, after three stripping basically instantly, the car sat in the garage until my Gorilla's showed up. Too scared to drive it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
So much of this stuff comes from China. :mad:

No quality control. Process and material changes at will. :NoNo:

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it? :eek::

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
The only thing I would buy at Autozone would be a name brand battery, wipers or washer fluid. Most of their stuff is crap. :mah: And Pep Boys..... :roll:

Bob ;)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
rpallas said:
The only thing I would buy at Autozone would be a name brand battery, wipers or washer fluid. Most of their stuff is crap. :mah: And Pep Boys..... :roll:

Bob ;)
Thought about what I said for about 4 hours and still feel the same! :rofl: Guess I'd better get some sleep. ;)

Bob :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
rpallas said:

Bob ;)
You are right. Name brands only. Some of the hard parts they sell are :bs:

D.J.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
reproman said:
So much of this stuff comes from China. :mad:

No quality control. Process and material changes at will. :NoNo:

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it? :eek::
Took the words right out of my mouth. I agree 100%

Zippy :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
882 Posts
MikeyB said:
I honestly feel anyone who has those lugs (or similar) are totally at risk driving the car. Like I said, after three stripping basically instantly, the car sat in the garage until my Gorilla's showed up. Too scared to drive it.
Better wash your hands after handling the lugs. Could be mostly lead? :mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I replaced my locking nuts with the one's from Autozone 2 years ago-I've got plenty of power to the wheel and so far they are great!
I also have one of their batteries,morse ceramic pads,crossed drilled slotted rotors,gatorback belt,all my oil and filters"mobil one" and most anything else.I purchased my hazard switch from them which happened to be oem when it came in at a much better price than "GM".
Is there occasionaly sub par product that comes in? Tell me a company that doesn't.Does this mean the entire company sucks as some are incinuating?No! This company isre "200" not by selling crappy parts to tuners either by the way!And just a side note,it's the success of investing in this company that lets me afford the wonderful things such as Z06 Vette's!!
So please slam the occasional product,not the entire company!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sourcing of manufactured hardware goods like this is tricky. There is much, much Chinese, Indian and "other" inferior counterfeit stuff in the market. The aircraft industry has a terrible time with sub-grade counterfeit bolts, fasteners and such. There have been a couple of crashes proven to be caused by these parts. Landing gear failure is one of the most common when the replacement bolts aren't legit. Sourcing from foreign suppliers takes extra care and Autozone might need to pay more attention. You did the best thing - take it back and hopefully they go down the supply chain and fix it.

Some of you out there who have the allen wrenches I've given out at our meetings (www.wagic.com) know that the steel is the best. I used to be CEO of that company and we spend a LOT of time at the steel mills in Shanghai enforcing the steel grade. Since these products are the only ones sold at Home Depot the company can't afford to have those types of failures. You'll go broke on returns.

A long winded reply and not an apology for Autozone...just be very careful of your sources and when it says "grade 8" - test it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts