Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys since I started on this board I still can't figure this out.....The Z06 has 405 HP right.....Then why when you dyno your cars does it come out to 364 or whatever rwhp??? Is there fwhp??? I don't get it??? :-?

·
Registered
420 Posts
The advertised 405HP is at the engine flywheel. You lose power through the drivetrain and by loss due to the other accessories. The common way to convert RWHP to FWHP is to take RWHP and divide by .85.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the important power is the power that gets to your rear tires because that where all the magic starts right

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
BTW -- dividing by 0.85 means that there is 15% (1 - 0.85 = 0.15 = 15%) loss between the flywheel and rear wheels :D.

Example -- 345 RWHP divided by 0.85 = 405 FWHP.
Or 405 FWHP times 0.85 (15% loss) = 345 RWHP.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so why do some people dyno there car like 500 miles after they get it....shouldn't they wait till they do a mod or is every vette a little different

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You dyno the car to establish a baseline without mods to know what future changes do. jerboa :)

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Vetteless said:
so why do some people dyno there car like 500 miles after they get it....shouldn't they wait till they do a mod or is every vette a little different
Dyno runs done prior to any mods are also known as 'baseline' figures. When testing after a mod, then you know exactly how much impact that particular mod had. e.. Test your brand new car at 360rhp. Add a mod, dyno again. Figure is now 365rwhp. You now know that particular mod was worth 5 rwhp. without the baseline, you won't know how much, if any, gains were made with that mod.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You guys....Makes it all a lot clearer to me

Also I hope you guys don't mind but I will be dropping a few technical questions to you guys because since I don't have a vette I really don't understand it......But I know you guys are here to help....I already know my next post, it'll be how to drive stick, because if I don't learn in the next few years, it might hurt me with the Z:(

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's good to a do a baseline. For example, I baselined my '01 Z06 at 330RWHP and 330RWTQ. I've added a Vortex, Power Duct, and Corsas to it and will be redynoing on the 8th to see exactly what gain I got.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts