Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Z06 Guys,

This is my first Corvette / Fiberglass car. I want to remove the side moldings on my 2002 red Z06, but, before I do I'd like to know what happens when someone bangs my car with their door. What's the damage without the moldings and how hard is it to fix? I know what happens to my metal Porsche and how to fix it... but have no clue what to expect WHEN it happens to a F/G Corvette. My F/B boat takes a knock without great damage.

Also, what is the best way to remove the moldings? I've heard heat gun, fishing line. I'd hate to do damage in the process. Step by step details would help tons.
Thank You,

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hi Juan,

Welcome!

The BSMs are only held on with tape. The fishing string/dental floss, some patience, and Zaino would make them come off easily, and the Zaino will make it all look fine.

I have been a most fortunate Vette owner. No one has dinged my doors!:D

Take care,

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Juan,

I'm not sure, but a constantly moving hair dryer might help with the BSM removal sigung86 mentioned.

No one has hit my doors, yet. Being fiberglass, the door won't 'dent' like the average car. My guess it will scratch, or if hit real hard, crack :eek:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was hit with a door four days after I got the car. It missed the BSM because they hit the front quarter panel, right under the badge.
All it did was take off a little paint, like a chip. No dents or anything.

I had a firebird before this. It had both fiberglass and metal panels. The metal ones were prone to dents, while the fiberglass ones would just lose a little paint where they were hit.

It also sounds to me like price isn't a real object with you. Given that, I would take the Z to a good body shop and ask them to do the removal so that they can be held accountable for the quality of the work. If something goes wrong you could have more recourse than kicking yourself in the ass.

chris

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
chrisj said:
I was hit with a door four days after I got the car. It missed the BSM because they hit the front quarter panel, right under the badge.
All it did was take off a little paint, like a chip. No dents or anything.

I had a firebird before this. It had both fiberglass and metal panels. The metal ones were prone to dents, while the fiberglass ones would just lose a little paint where they were hit.

It also sounds to me like price isn't a real object with you. Given that, I would take the Z to a good body shop and ask them to do the removal so that they can be held accountable for the quality of the work. If something goes wrong you could have more recourse than kicking yourself in the ass.

chris
Good suggestion! I have also read in several threads regarding the removal of BSM's yet I have seen any before and after pics. Please take pics during the process. Thanks, Jeff Nation

·
Registered
496 Posts
I removed my BSM's after having the car about a month. This is not rocket science and is easily accomplished at home. I used some dental floss and an old credit card to get them off (not the fanciest way, but it worked without damaging the BSM or the door). The hardest part of the whole process is removing the tape residue that is left behind. I used some WD-40 and quite a bit of elbow grease and it all cleaned up nicely.

I have found the best way to prevent door dings is to not park next to other cars.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I just removed my BSMs this past weekend. The temp was a little cool (in the 40's) and I was exceedingly careful, so the whole process took me about four hours, most of which was spent 'rolling' the glue residue off the car. I used 10# monofilament fishing line, a hair dryer and some WD40 to help soften the glue. There were no real problems, just takes a lot of patience.

After cleaning off the residue, washing and Zainoing the newly exposed paint, you can't tell the BSMs were ever on the car. My slow, careful approach also left the BSMs in perfect condition, so they could be re-applied if I ever felt the need. I'm really glad I did this, because I much prefer the uncluttered look.

·
Registered
568 Posts
While WD-40 (kersine) may work, I'd probably go for 3M adhesive remover so you don't have to rub as much or as hard.

I found that it worked much better than WD-40 when I removed the protective film adhesive after delivery. Just be sure and take your time and get the adhesive good and wet for period of time so it softens.

Also, some folks have reported *great* success using 'fixit' guys. These guys drive around to dealerships to fix chips, etc. Some of them are *really* good and very cheap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the information. Sounds like the F/G will take a knock well and that the moldings will come-off with ease. I feel a lot better about pulling off the molding now. I'm clearly on the "NO MOLDINDS" looks better side of this debate... but both ways the Z06 looks great! :p
Cheers,

·
Registered
251 Posts
Better than 3M

If your can find it, common at car dealers, is a product called
ACRYSOL, super effective, safe on finishes, removes:

paint overspray, adhesives, sealants, tar, undercoating, gum, grease, paint sealants, asphalt, road oil, silicone & wax.

Use on: Base coat/clear coat, acrylic finishes, aluminum, plastics,
vinyls, fabrics, glass, wood, carpet, fiberglass, and rubber.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts