Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed looking at pics that some ZO6 cars have the molding on the side of the door. The one that runs in the middle in between the door scoop. My car does not have them. I was wondering if this was a option?? tksa alot guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the body side molding (BSM) removed by the dealer
before I took delivery. I can’t stand it. By the way, it was
a $150 option. Be happy you don't have it on your car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm looking at getting another vette, when I got my z06 I refused to look at any with teh molding because I didn't want to mess with getting it off, now that I'm looking at a FRC I've found more with molding than without. Is it hard to get off without damaging the paint other than taking it to the dealer? How much does it cost at the dealer?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Most who remove them, do it because they don't like the looks of them.

You should be aware that they do have an Aero function and most racers (who you think would remove any useless article to save weight) keep them on or add them.

The reason is that the C5 has an Aero design defect. The BSM's correct this defect by:

- Increasing Laminar Flow along the sides of the car.
- Prevents high pressure Cowl air from waterfalling off the side of the cowl, and then wrapping under the car causing rear end lift.
- They add a small downforce componant themselves.

All this happens above >100 MPH and increases with speed.

The result is:
- Better mileage, acceleration and top speed due to the increased Laminar Flow
- Increased evacuation of the wheel wells and less front and rear lift
- Better brake cooling due to the wheel well scavanging
- Better rear brake cooling duct induction
- Less Rear end lift by decreasing the wrap around effect of the cowl air.
- Slightly increased downforce due to the reduced cowl waterfall and small downforce componant of the BSM's themselves.

Note that the C6 does not have this option as the design defect was cured and the BSM's are not needed.

The BSM's are not just aesthetics and Bling Bling...or not... they do in fact have a function.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts