Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No...not along the bottom, the strip along the door frame on the top, which the window meets with....anyone have issues with this?

Brand damn new car, and the stripping is all coming off. No way in hell I'm letting the dealership have it for a day to replace it, I'm just gonna silicone it myself...but it's frustrating....anyone else have this happen?

:mad:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming they sell a specific type of adhesive for weather stripping...? Or you think just some typical silicone would work?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
TAMUz06 said:
I'm assuming they sell a specific type of adhesive for weather stripping...? Or you think just some typical silicone would work?
IMHO: I think i would find out from parts dept what gm uses...........
:cool:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes...perhaps I will do that tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
3m wstrip adhesive

Hi there,
3m makes 2 different types of wstrip adhesive, a yellow and a black. The difference in the types is that the yellow sets up extremely quick, and could stick in the wrong location.
You can get the black at any parts store. 08011 is the 3m part number, although, do not use alot, as normally, we dont even use it at our shop.
Installation into the retainer is the important part. It must be fit correctly into the tabs. I like to use a bondo spreader, because it fits into those close areas, and wont cut the wstrip.
Let us know how you do, c4c5

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
3M weatherstrip adhesive = good

Silicone = VERY VERY Bad.

As stated already you have your choice of yellow or black. It comes in a Red tube. Some folks refer to the yellow as "gorilla snot". It works well for securing valve cover gaskets to the valve covers before installing them on a motor. C4C5 is right. Make sure and check the tabs... I might suggest Black since it will blend with the seals.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
TAMUz06,

Did you go ahead and seal it yourself?

The drivers door upper seal on our three day old Z06 has come loose twice, both times I was able to get it pushed back in but I know it will continue to fall out.

Let me know what all you did to fix it please. I had planned on taking it to the dealer next week but if you got a good fix on yours I'll try it too.

Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will work on this tomorrow, and post up how it goes....thanks a ton guys for the assistance. :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the same thing on my new '02 on the drivers' side; the passenger side is okay. Irritating, isn't it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts