Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a Twin turbo i would like to add a lot of downforce to keep the car planted. At 160 the car starts to plane a little and i can only imagine how shakey the car will be at 200+, I am currently looking for a C5R back My car is millenium yellow and i wanted the whole back of the car, what im talking about is the black back with the diffuser and a spoiler of some sort, im not a flashy guy but i want it all the be very functional. Also i would like a front spoiler but i dont ever know where to begin so any help would be great, also if anyone knows where i could find a wind tunnel on LI in NY
Thank you Pete :cheers:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Pete:
NO aero aids are EVER simple, especially with 200+ expectations...
Front splitter-tray set-ups, such as ACP`s will DEFINITELY plant the front end, but without a complementary amount of downforce generated in the rear, you`ll have MORE than a handfull.
Your best approach is to try a `scienced`system, with verifiable aero assist, from ONE supplier. Mix `n match will likely only result in something scary and, after all, it`s YOUR car...and life...
ACP is a Forum Supporting Vendor, makes products widely used in SCCA, GrandAm and other ultra-high-speed Series, so you KNOW their stuff works...Several rear wing designs are available, but at 200+, choose carefully...

·
Registered
194 Posts
How is your alignement, my 04Z was like a rock at 160, I now have it lowered as much as possible on stock bolts and have added a ACI front wind splitter and can't feel any difference, two weeks ago I took her up to 166 and again she had a real confident feel, if I would of had more room I wanted to go for 175. I would have your alignment check out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the alignment checked a month ago they said it was good but wheel was not straight so im gunna bring it back, but you think that could really be the problem, at 160 it feels like the frnt wheels are coming off the ground

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
MuffinMan said:
thanks i emailed them but it doesnt seem like they wanna chat
They're a small operation, who, at this time of the year (racing season), probably spend little time on the computer. Try their phone, and ask for Kerry Hitt.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another thing you may want to check is for one of your tires being out of round, I had changed my tires to Nitto555II (these are the greatest tires, can't say enough on how they stick in the corners) and after that I noticed when I got up around 120 I could feel a slight vibration, I thought I had lost a weight and took it back to the alignment shop to have the front tires speed balanced and found out that one of my new Nittos was out of round, not much, but not perfect, took it back to Discount Tire and they replaced the tire without a whimper, as it should be and the vibration was gone. Your car is built to be steady at 160 plus with no vibration, quiver or lift, it just a process of elimination, you will get that confidence back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hope so and cant wait but im a auto tech and have balanced the tires so hopefully i can find something wrong, as of now still looking
Thanks a lot guys
Pete

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I am also concerned with highspeed handling considering i wanna run the silver state classic. I am amazed at how different cars feel at speed, the worst being the ferrari 360 the best being the lamborghini gallardo and murcielago. Since my vette si the fastest out of all of them i think the correct aerodynamics would be good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
:idea: Check your front to rear rake on the car. The rear should be about 1/2 inch higher then the front as measured at the chassis lift points on a good level surface. Without the rake the car will feel very light in the front at speed. :thumb:

·
10,998 Posts
The Caravaggio canards and read winglet work without creating excessive drag.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
ACP Carbon Fiber Hood
LPE Rear Wing (tested to 242 m.p.h. by John himself)
Both tested by GM in their Wind Tunnel.
http://imageevent.com/crazyducati916/blackzo6
Good points, Brent!
Releasing under-hood air properly has a definite effect of front-end lift. So, too, would FRC Tom's front inner fender vents, which release air into the vents of the appropriate vented ACP hood, reducing lift from air trapped in the front wheelwells. He has a template available that makes a worthy addition to ACP vent-hooded Z06's.

Ed:
Canards are also a good idea to a certain speed, although the full ACP splitter/tray, with its fully-enclosed-to-the-front-suspension undertray (pictures available, if required-PM me...) generates max downforce, which, for balance sake, DOES require a rear wing or spoiler of SOME significant force application. ACP has several models to choose from, all of which have been properly tested in conjunction with their front set-up.

It goes without saying that alignment and tire choice in these "upper echelon" speed ranges MUST be carefully selected...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts