Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish I had read Ranger's launch techniques in toto before last Saturday. I was at Rocky Mountain Raceway in Salt Lake City and had a very unfortunate incident. On my second pass of the day, I experienced some serious wheeel hop in both first and second gear. On my shift from 2nd to 3rd, I experienced a VIOLENT breakaway such that I found myself literally going sideways and hard left across the track. While my brain was registering pure shock that I was no longer going straight, I somehow managed to fight the momentum to go fully around but in the last few seconds it was not enough to avoid contact with the wall. Fortunately, I hit on the front left quarter and slightly banged the left rear removing some paint in the process. The lucky thing was that the airbags did not deploy.

I had made over 15 passes in my car over that track in the past few years and never experienced anything like that before. The track official came up to me and said that there was no oil on the track but I really wonder about that since I had never had anything like that happen before. I mean this happened on a shift to third gear!!!

After reading Ranger's postings, I feel the one big mistake that I made was to turn off the active handling and traction control. That probably contributed the most to the inability to recover from the violent loss of traction. I thought that it would improve my times to run with it off but was severally punished for that decision. I will never, ever turn off my AH/TC again.

The repairs will come to $3150. I felt so stupid - I just cannot tell you. I was so embarassed. I still am in amazement that the car could break traction so violently on a second to third shift and I still feel strongly that there had to be some oil on the track. I am also in shock that my wheel hop was so bad and continued to be so in second gear. I was racing on Michelin Pilots which I feel are great tires. The whole incident was just crazy, especially the part where the track manager yelled at me for not staying put until the emergency crew arrived - I just drove off.

Anyway, as Ranger has put it, NEVER race with AH in the off position. I learned my lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I use Comp Mode

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sorry to hear. I believe Ranger recommends to turn off TC, but leave AH on.(Comp Mode) :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry to hear. I hate expensive lessons.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Happy to hear that your ok :thumb: I agree always use comp mode.

I know $3150 is alot of money. But consider yourself lucky most people that I have seen go into the wall the damage is much worse.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry to hear it, but count your blessings.

I have personally seen a black Z06 smack the wall very hard at Infineon. Guy did the same thing, lost traction well into second/into third, and crossed lanes, then came back and tagged the wall.............hard.....twice.

:(

AH stays on here as well. Ive experienced the kick you mention, and it can be VERY abrupt.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Robtri, It is very possible to lose traction from 2nd to 3rd gear shift, 1)especially if motion is lost in between the shift, like you take a bit to get it in 3rd and then stump on it, because weight is temporarely shift weight away from the rear and then abruply give it power back again. 2) there could of been oil or 3) water from your car passing through the burnout box dripped along the way into the rear tires...

There are many reasons that a Z06 can get spin tires from 2nd to 3rd, but what ever the reasons, I drive my car most of the time on the street with ALL off, but thats because Im expecting for the car to get sideways, when Im just going out a night in town I leave everything on so I dont get in trouble, but actually once I was playing with my friends 911TT and at a slight turn it was time to shift into 4th and the car wanted to spin around sideways but the AC saved it, TC came on too but TC cant help that situation much,It was winter so 3rd to 4th can spin! actually if you even shift hard from 3rd to 4th your TC/AC will come on, The reason Z06 drivers dont know they can spin is that even sometimes we dont and dont know it because our Goodyear F1s dont warn us with Noise..

I was fortunate to meet "ranger" in person,I didnt know of him as "ranger" in this website so It was interesting to find out later of his Threads and his Reputation in this site and other,anyway ,he told me thats best to use in Comp mode. Its not like he created it , It only makes sense, but he just knocked sense into my head

SO why is it you're paying for the damages? The insurance wont cover that?

luis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most Insurance companies do not cover your car if it is on a race track. Also, the reported incident would double my premiums for the next two to three years so I decided it would be better if I ate it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
robtri said:
Most Insurance companies do not cover your car if it is on a race track. Also, the reported incident would double my premiums for the next two to three years so I decided it would be better if I ate it.

Thats true, and for $3k you are better off paying yourself, I agree! I have heard that insurance dont pay if it was in a track, but I think they would pay that one time and then find a reason to kick you out of the policy

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've seen it happen before. You never know whats been left on the race surface, especially on test & tune nights. The main thing is your OK.

COMP MODE IS A GOOD THING!!!!!!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
As soon as I fire up the beast, it goes into Comp. Mode as the seat belt goes on. It has saved me several times...I'm not Mario Andretti?!? ;)

Bob :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
robtri said:
Sorry to hear about that.

I would do the same thing and just pay it for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Glad you're ok, bro. I know it sucks but it could've been worse.

When my car was stock, I used to reace with AH on. It saved my ass on one occasion but it nearly made my lose control on another. The latter happened only once when I was running on aftermarket ZR1 wheels and BFG drag radials. I don't know if the different wheel size made changes significan enough for the AH to recognize but, after I passed the finish line on that particular pass, AH kicked in and began modulating the brakes left/right even though the car was heading perfectly straight which made the car fishtail! I tried to slow the car down which made the fishtailing even more pronounced. I basically had to let the car coast to a slow speed. Thank God Englishtown has a long shut down area.

People forget that our cars really aren't meant for drag racing. When I think back that I was racing an 800+ rwhp Z06 last year on stock suspension, I cringe. I don't think it was prudent. After making all the suspension changes to the car this year I finally feel like it's "trackworthy" considering the hp it's putting down.

·
Registered
403 Posts
KCMAGS said:
You never know whats been left on the race surface, especially on test & tune nights. The main thing is your OK.

COMP MODE IS A GOOD THING!!!!!!! :yeadog:
I completely agree!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Glad you're all right. Light damage like that, hell, it's a race car, and the frame is still perfect.. Now it has true race-driven personality. It'll look like new again soon. Don't the '04 shocks have valving to help reduce wheel hop? Anyway, too bad it happened, but live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately for me I hit the ah/tc button quick on the street and lost it on teh street. Needless to say 23K later the car looks fine, but its amazing how quickly the ass can come out between gears. When nabbs was talking about dumping is 02 for a viper I said flat out, how many times has AH saved your ass....the viper has more torque and no AH....Its amazing what we become use to until we forget to use it. Our cars are VERY dangerous when left unassisted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts