Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 02 ZO6 to St. Thomas Dragway at Sparta Ontario on Aug. 11 and made 5 passes with active handling "on" and traction control "off". Raced it stock with 1100 km on it. My best time was 12.930 @ 110.87. I plan to go back in a month, and in the meantime know I need to find/practice a launching technique (My 60 ft was 2.101). I had my eyes glued to the HUD for all the passes but suspect that the active handling system kicked in right after launch (slight hesitation as the beast broke front left/back right slightly). The reason I'm asking is that I've seen a number of posts on this forum warning to NEVER disengage active handling. I know that the car is capable of more and that I'm holding it back (ie. inexperience at drag racing). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I've never had AH engage on a run.....If it does, it will say AH System Active....If the
message does not come up, nothing was interfering.....

Leave it on. TC off......

JC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JC: Thanks for the reply/feedback! Before I go up to track again I'm going to take the ZO6 to an empty parking lot late at night and try a variety of launch techniques. I'll keep my eyes on the Driver's Info Display to see if AH engages at various rev levels as I launch.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
It's kinda weird, at very low speed (5-15) or so...the car will let you do a doughnut, but at the drags, you'll never have the wheel cocked all the way (hopefully /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JC

J

·
0 Posts
FWIW..I would buy a 140 dollar g tech..its accurate for me at the track in that its slow on et .11 and fast in trap at 3.8 to 4mph every time I pick up the time slip..

I would practice o to 60mph times for greater insight with g tech..

also fwiw..I never drag with active handling or traction control on..of course my cars not as powerful so you maybe getting some good advice from others ..

Try it with the traction control/ competition mode off..it could be setting torque management during your run. Just a guess..if you feel your loosing it..let off and get a crappy time..

Sometimes your fast at the track..sometimes your slow..

Forget the granatelli maf imho..it could have been a tank of gas..

If your really curious..disconnect the battery for a few minutes..then reconnect and do idle relearn proceedure once the car is warmed up..

That would clear 19 of the 22 fuel cells of any bad history..The possible bad scenerio from a bad tank of gas between track visits would cause or create an extroplalation from the 19 fuel cells during wide open throttle to be more conversative (retard timing)..so thats why I recommend clearing learned history from pcm with disconnecting battery .....consider it a reset..

Good luck.and remember..we all have good and bad days at the track..I wouldn't add a bandaid fix at this point..it would..or could complicate the issue..

JMO..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JMO: Thanks for the suggestions! Practicing 0-60 times with a g tech sounds like the way to go for now. A friend and I took the car out to a remote county road tonight and practiced some launches. I'm now sure that AH is not activating when the car is launched in competitive driving mode. It looks to us to be a matter of practice; ie. bringing the tac up to 2 and-a-half grand and smoothly releasing the clutch without mashing the accelerator in order to minimize tire spin. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind too. Thanks also for the encouragement!
Mike

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-19 14:06, IAmCanadian! wrote:
...made 5 passes...need to find/practice a launching technique (My 60 ft was 2.101)...Any thoughts?
Actually a 2.1 60' is quite good for a first time out. My average 60' is 2.08. Only a small percentage of Z06 racers are doing consistently better than you did. We are not talking Best time; we're talking average time across all runs for the night.

But my average ET is 12.55. So I suspect where you really can use the practice is in shifting fast. That's where the Gtech might come in handy. What you're after is runs from 0-110 exercising 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. I find that my ETs are significantly affected by how much or little I spin the tires on the 1-2 shift.

Suggest recording your time slip splits in an Excel spreadsheet and keeping close tabs on your best and averages each time to the track.

Remember the 1-2 shift is included in your 330' time. The 2-3 shift is in the 660' time and the 3-4 shift is usually in the 1000' time.

There are a lot of variables. We're really just scratching the surface. Above al else, practice, practice, practice.

Ranger

·
Registered
262 Posts
When you said you had the Active Handling "on" and the Traction control "off", I assume the you had it in the Competition Mode. As far as I know, the only way to keep AH on and remove the Traction control, is to go with the Competition mode. I do not think the active handling would come on in a drag race unless you get real side ways /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I would say it is smart to run with the competition mode. You also never know what the other car on course is going to do that may require some driving /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

Jose Gonzalez /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts