Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit, I'm a racing novice. I have drag raced my Corvettes for a few years, but only during the qualifying time on Friday nights or on open track days. I never did bracket racing, but that's not the question.

The local track has classes for different types of cars, I think.

What is a SUPER? What is a HEAVY? What is a STREET?

Also, they advertise a 10K FOOTBRAKE race, can someone tell me what this means?

Also, what is a BOX?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The "box", as it is usually called, is an electronic device to aid the driver. The driver can 'dial' a number into the box, called the delay. Usually used in conjunction with a transmission brake and two-step, the driver can hold down a button mounted on his steering wheel, activating the transbrake and two step, and then let go of the button the instant he sees the "first flash" of amber from the first bulb. The delay box will then count the thousandths of a second dictated by the driver, and then release the transbrake and two-step.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Each track determine what Super, Heavy and Street mean but the refer to the ET (elapsed time or 1/4 mile time) range in the class which are bracket classes or ET classes.
Super is usually an Electronics class allowing bracket racing aides such as a delay BOX which allows to cut a better light. Not for a beginner. It allows transmission breaks which also helps you cut better lights. Usually 10 seconds and quicker cars including dragsters

Heavy is the middles class and usually does not allow electronics such as delay boxes and trans breaks. It is usually ETs in the 14 to 9 second range and you usually do not see dragsters in them.

Street is definitely no electronics and is the closest to a beginner class. The ET is like 12 - 17 seconds.

A 10K Footbrake race is a basic bracket race in which you are racing for $10,000. These usually bring out very good racers. The term Footbrake refers to not allowing a transmission brake so all drivers must use their foot on the brake to launch the car instead of the trans brake.

A trans brake basically unhooks the trans so that the car will go nowhere after you have placed it on the starting line. However, when you release the trans brake the car will jump off at the rpm at which you set the trans brake...similar to a dumping the clutch. The trans brake is found on Auto trans cars and not possible in our C5 Corvettes so non of us have one unless we change a LOT of things.

Hope this clears it up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts