Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing your techniques.

Assuming stock SC tires, what is your launching technique?

Any burnout? I realize that most Z-rated radials hook worse the hotter they get. Is this true of the SC tire? Do you do at least a small burnout to clean the tires off before staging?

What RPM do you launch at on street radials?

What tire pressure do you experience the best traction with?

Do you roll into the gas pedal when you launch, or do you stand on it?

Do you pop the clutch, or do you dump it at a certain rate?

Powershift? Do you or don't you? What ET differences have you seen between powershifting and regular quick shifts?

What is the best 60' you've cut on street radials, and what do you attribute it to? (technique, track prep, weather conditions, etc)

I've got quite a bit of drag racing experience myself, but this car is a whole different animal than the modded 98 Trans Am I used to drive. I'd love to see what I can learn from you guys before I take the Z out for its first 1/4 mile trials.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Cam, I alway's take a good burn out to clean the tire but I go around the water box. As an experienced racer you know tire pressure and launch rpm are intertwined as well as track and weather conditions. So my answer to this has to be general. I like 28psi in the rear with a launch between 25-3000+rpm depending. I find the best 60's come buy slipping the clutch the first few feet just giveing enough gas to hold the launch rpm then slowly squezing the gas, some times not at full throtle past 60' out. As a side note my best 60's 1.773 do not feel "right" but I have to go by the time slips to know what works best for et's.(feel's slow or like clutch is sliping) How much I gain by power shifting again depends on if the track can hold the power and can some times change my shift points. In general .02-.1 improvement or more depending on what your comparing to. For my best run 1.773-11.985 it took a very well preped track(lot's of race cars puting good ruber down)and very good air.(@-665ft DA) Hope this helps, good luck at the track. Ric

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks PowerShifter. I'll have to print a copy of your post and try your suggestions out when I go to the track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts