Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Cecil County Drag Strip and could only turn 13.32 @ 112 MPH. The problem was wheel hop in 1st through 3rd gear. I lowered the rear tire air pressure to 25lbs and still had to feather the car out of the light and get off the gas in 2nd to stop the wheel hop. I did not do any burnouts prior to each run. Additionally, there was another Z06 who ran the same numbers and had the same problem as I did. Any suggestions.:mad: :-? :(

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ranger's is right. Its all in the launch if you want to go faster than 12.5s and the track plays such a big part. Iv been to a track where is was so slick I could basically let the clutch out and cause wheel spin. It was so slick a car ended up in the rail when he hit 2nd gear. On a good track 2200-3000 launchs are about all I can get. One thing that may be causing wheel spin may be not cleaning off your tires. when you pull up spin them over a couple of times to get the rocks and grit off.I usually try to do this before I get into the lane but it depends on the track. good luck it just takes practice.:cheers:

G

·
I would say your getting some great advice...heat them up a little bit to clean them off..also consider a gtech device to practice 0 to 60 mph sprints..(relatively legally on deserted roadways or highways)

What feels fast is usually slow and what seems slow is actually quick..

Keep at it...

Your car is a low twelve second machine for sure..

Just takes a driver tuning in to the specific car that will come very quickly for you..I'm sure..

good luck...

JB

G

·
Wheel hop is due to the rear shocks being too stiff and not allowing the rear to squat for better traction.

Better shocks, that allow you to adjust compression (down stroke) will rid the hop.

I use Penske Indy shocks, great shock design but not cheap in price. I set the rears to the softest setting and front a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Wheel hop

Z06Billy,

One other question about your experience with wheel hop at Cecil County, which is the stickiest track in the area. As you staged the car were you driving through the water of around it?

Ranger.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There has been a lot said in past threads on wheel hop. I have also heard a lot of theories on the problem. I agree that stiff springs are an issue. I second problem is suspension design. I think most would agree that the C5 suspension is not a drag race design. The C3 and the C4 both had arms going back from the body to the suspension. This eliminates the wheels from having any front to back movement which causes wheel hop.

I would like to hear more from teamzr1 on the degree of improvement he got from the adjusted Penske shocks. I plan on getting a set for AutoX purposes. It would be a great bonus if they help eliminate the wheel hop problem.

Z06billy, you are not the only driver learning the manage the wheel hop issue. My first time to the drag strip, I had the same experience.

JOSE

·
Registered
837 Posts
Jose Gonzalez said:
There has been a lot said in past threads on wheel hop. I have also heard a lot of theories on the problem...

Z06billy, you are not the only driver learning the manage the wheel hop issue. My first time to the drag strip, I had the same experience.

JOSE
It's really quite straight forward. If you substantially over-power the rear tires, meaning make them spin freely, the wheels will begin to hop. Period. It can happen in 1st gear and/or on the shifts to 2d, 3d and even 4th.

Avoiding wheel hop is most easily accomplished by modulating use of the clutch and throttle to avoid spinning the tires freely. That means learning to feel what the rear tires are doing and reading what that surface wants that day. That takes practice. Practice. Practice. But it's more straight forward that moding the suspension, which is admittedly a second approach.

Ranger

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not go through the water
I did not spin the tires to get the dirt off
I agree with Ranger, it takes practice and the technique of knowing how to run the car on a drag strip. I appreciate the advice and next time I drag, I will post the results. It was just a disappointing day and a lot of my close Vette buddies were there.:eek:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hey i know the feeling...Last time out was running 115:55 @ 12:62-s with wheel hop that felt like it would tear the rear end apart...These posts are really helpful though...Next trip i will lower rear pressure to 25 front up to 45lbs.....Try and run 1/8 tank gas, and abuse that clutch a bit more.....It really makes sense, practice, and getting a feel for the conditions at that specific day....I do wonder if the MPH and ET would have improved withot the wheel hop?

·
Registered
837 Posts
dbvettez061 said:
...I do wonder if the MPH and ET would have improved withot the wheel hop?
ETs are affected adversely by wheel hop but trap speeds generally are not. On any given day, my traps are very consistent within a narrow band, usually 0.5 mph or so, even with occasional runs with wheel hop.

The biggest reduction in my mph occurs when I fail to make a strong shift to 4th gear.

Ranger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts