Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the first oil change on my 2002 Z06 I checked the drain plug and it isn't magnetic.

The part number for the magnetic plug is 88891787

GM part number for the AC Ultraguard UPF44 filter is 25329389

Hope this is helpful. Z06Y Lady :yeadog: :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prices

Got these prices from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

Magnetic plug: List $2.42, Cost $1.45
Money well spent.

Filters: List $11.04, Cost $6.61

For reference, Fichtner charges $8.00 for the filters.

Prices at this web site are generally less than GM Wholesale.

Z06Y Lady ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,096 Posts
Z06ylady:

Thanks for the web site info! I've been checking all over the Detroit area for the Ultraguard Gold filter and the best price I could find was eleven dolllars and change! :D

Zippy :z: :z: (loves a bargain) :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zippy said:
Z06ylady:

Thanks for the web site info! I've been checking all over the Detroit area for the Ultraguard Gold filter and the best price I could find was eleven dolllars and change! :D

Zippy :z: :z: (loves a bargain) :cheers:
Zipster,

The filters are sold six to a case. By buying the case, the shipping is about the same as for just one.

Z06Y Lady
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing is easy

Jim ODeen said:
Thanks for the info GM partsdirect GREAT place to buy parts:D :D
When you actually try to buy an oil plug you learn that this site only sells them 5 to the package and filters six to the box. So unless you have 4 friends who also need plugs ......Moreover, the minimum shipping charge is $9.95 for the first item. Not a bargain after all. Z06Y Lady :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Better than anyone else in my town!!

The 6 filters with the S/H comes to $49.61 or $8.26 per filter. There is no sales tax for me, and since the dealers here sell them for $10-$11 smacks plus sales tax, it's a no-brainer for me!
Thanks for the info:) :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
I agree - the gmpartsdirect shipping is pricey. I orderd mine from Fitchner. The service from Bob in parts was *outstanding*.

As for the case of SIX! That's 45K miles at 7500/change or 90K miles! I expect to have my 20054502800 by then :D

Those are *tiny* filters.

Thanks for mentioning the drain plug. I'd read they were putting them in 2002's from the factory, so I didn't get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
BrianK said:
Thanks for mentioning the drain plug. I'd read they were putting them in 2002's from the factory, so I didn't get one.
False informatin -- the 2002s do NOT have a magnetic drain plug. I just changed by oil last weekend and NO magnetic plug from the factory.

JZ -- yes, a magnetic drain plug will pick up metallic particles that the oil filter may not. Of course the Ultragurd filter is supposed to filter much better than the standard PF44 filter, but IMO its cheap insurance to use the magnetic plug also. For $3 you cant go wrong :D.

BTW -- it took exactly 7 qts of oil to get the dipstick reading on the "full" mark. Did the 'lift the rearend and drain for 6 hr' draining procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
FYI
I just tried to order the magnetic drain plugs, the Ultra guard filter UPF-44 as well as some 5w30 Mobil 1 oil from the GM direct website. They responded by saying that all they could supply me with is the magnetic plugs - don't carry the other stuff. Too bad, the prices looked good.:( I will check locally. Someone said that Target would be a good place for the Mobil 1 oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,709 Posts
The Target here sells Mobil 1 for $3 a qt. Its been at that price for about a year. I better go stockup again before they figure out that everyone else sells it for $4-4.50 a qt.

Don't forget if you are changing your oil for the first time, the factory filter was put on by Superman himself. The Ultragurd filter filter is a different size than the standard AC filter.
So if you buy the Ultragurd filter and a filter socket for it, that socket will not fit the stock filter and you will distroy the stock filter trying to get it off.

:mad:

Ask me how I know:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. The great thing about this forum is the sharing of the wisdom of experience. There is a Target about 20 miles away and a little past that is a Pep Boys and they carry the ultraguard filter.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
gmblack3 said:
The Target here sells Mobil 1 for $3 a qt. Its been at that price for about a year. I better go stockup again before they figure out that everyone else sells it for $4-4.50 a qt.

Don't forget if you are changing your oil for the first time, the factory filter was put on by Superman himself. The Ultragurd filter filter is a different size than the standard AC filter.
So if you buy the Ultragurd filter and a filter socket for it, that socket will not fit the stock filter and you will distroy the stock filter trying to get it off.

:mad:

Ask me how I know:eek:
Yup, had to shove a screw driver through my stock one to get it out. No more problems tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
the ultraguard oil filter #upf44 is no longer being made. availability is only outstanding stock.

alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Know why?

Anyone know why Delco is cutting this filter after such a short time on the market? It's made by Champion Labs the same folks that make the K&N and Mobil! filters.
:cheers:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top