Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this topic as a reply to the Oil Change Tips From GM Pro thread but later thought maybe it should be posted separately...

Thanks Z0000006 for all your replies...

==============================================
Anyone have any suggestions for extracting the extra oil out of the crankcase after a day of open tracking?

I usually put in about 1 - 1.5 extra quarts to run on the track. Afterwards, I'd like to drain out the extra oil before driving home...(trailer...who needs a trailer???).

Is there some kind of fitting that can be placed onto the top of the dipstick and the oil siphoned out without having to stick a tube (which would most likely melt anyway) into the crankcase?

Z06...How u doin'?

Z0000006
Z06 Addict

02 EB/Mod Red

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can purchase a hand siphon from NAPA, and adapt some type of Skinny wand to it.....Just bring along a couple of empty quarts, so you know how much you are taking out.

==============================================CrazedZ06

02 EB Z06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only a 5/32" OD tube will fit down into the crankcase and I haven't found any tubing that will not melt with this spec. I tried locating copper tubing with no luck either.

I wasn't sure if an adapter and tubing existed that could withstand the high oil temps (high 200's)...

Any product suggestions???? I would like to avoid having to drain the quart or so of extra oil from the bottom of the car each time....

Z0000006
Z06 Addict

02 EB/Mod Red

Try

www.fluidsevacuators.com

This company mfg's a series of fluid evacuators for shop use, they also supply the wands that are used in these app's. FYI, this is the recommended approach from Mercedes, so I'm sure they have something that will work.

Good luck!

Z0000006
Z06 Addict

02 EB/Mod Red

oops!

got one too many s's in the address......try this

www.fluidevacuators.com

==============================================CrazedZ06

02 EB Z06

Z0000006...thanks for the info!...

I just got off the phone with Ken at Fluid Evacuators. He has both probes and top of the dipstick adapters to extract oil. He has to verify whether the tubing and o-rings used can withstand the high oil temps.

He said he'll get in touch with the manufacturers of the tubing and o-rings and also run his own tests. By mid-week next week he hopes to have the results of everything and he'll give me a call then to let me know.

I'll pass on the info 'cause this would be freakin' great if it works- talk about a time and mess saver!!!!

Oh Yeah!

·
Registered
25 Posts
As much oil as these LS6 engines are purported to burn at the track, why worry? Except to check to make sure you've got enough to get home :)

Seriously, I don't think it's worth worrying about - you may consider an oil change after a weekend of 290* engine temps anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over the course of 4 1/2 hour sessions on the track, my car likes to digest about 1 quart of oil. I try to keep 1 extra quart of oil in the crankcase throughout the day so I add a bit after each run. When I'm done I still have excess oil which needs to be removed before my fun drive home...

I hope the guys at Fluid Evacuators can fabricate an adapter to siphon out the oil through the dipstick...like I said this would be a huge time and mess saver!

·
Registered
467 Posts
What's the harm in leaving it in there... say a 1/2 quart over fill line? If it's ok for the track, why isn't it ok for the street??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The story that I've read regarding the importance of draining the extra oil is that if the oil level is too high, the crank will splash through the oil in the crankcase resulting in aeration of the oil. This supposedly introduces a ton of tiny air bubbles in the oil which is being circulated throughout the engine which increases the probability of damaging the bearings, etc...

The reason for putting in the extra oil at the track is due to the lateral forces while turning. If there isn't enough oil in the crankcase of the car, the pump will be sucking air and can be damaged as a result not to mention that the oil pressure in the engine can drop sharply as a result also exposing the engine to increased probabilty of damage.

Speaking of which...anyone outfit their ride with an AccuSump system?

I'm not sure I explained everything properly...I just relayed my understanding of the topic. If anyone can provide further insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I ran into a.....

.....low pressure problem when running hard and hot in Auto X and Solo I on hot days with Mobil 1 10W30. I had to go to a +1 qt. (8 qt.) overfill to keep the pressure up.

I switched to a 7 qt. fill of Mobil 1 15W50 for racing and I have not had any pressure, starvation, aeration or consumption problems since.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One other suggestion is to change the oil/filter after each track event. I'm religious about it. Probably not entirely necessary, but in my opinion it is cheap insurance and gives me peace of mind.:)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Correct...

.....for AutoX and track I fill with the full 7 qts. Its right to the top of the upper "Full" mark or just a hair over.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Seems strange to me that just changing the oil viscosity would exclude you from over-filling for track events :-?.

If anything, you would think that the thicker oil would hang in the heads longer and that would cause the oil pan to run at a lower level. Humm....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
CrazedZ06 said:
The story that I've read regarding the importance of draining the extra oil is that if the oil level is too high, the crank will splash through the oil in the crankcase resulting in aeration of the oil. This supposedly introduces a ton of tiny air bubbles in the oil which is being circulated throughout the engine which increases the probability of damaging the bearings, etc...
But whats puzzeling about this issue is the fact that when your running around in the pits, etc then the oil would be getting frothed by the crank and that would be bad. If the crank was actually in the oil, it wouldn't take but a minute or two in the pits to put all kinds of air bubbles in the oil. Why would GM even recommend over filling the engine if the crank was running in the oil with 8 qts in the pan:-?.

It doesn't add up ....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm....good point.

I gotta try to find the answer to that...

·
Registered
467 Posts
But whats puzzeling about this issue is the fact that when your running around in the pits, etc then the oil would be getting frothed by the crank and that would be bad.
I agree... and there are plenty of straights on a road course... not to mention the oil is really shaken, stirred, thrown all around while on track... if "crankcase aeration" was a big issue, why recommend over-filling?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts