Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Do I need to drain the entire radiator when I install my new thermostat? I think it will be a cleaner process if I do indeed drain it at least part way so that I don't get coolant everywhere when I pull the stocker off.

Also, where exactly is the drain cock on the radiator? I have been under the car (1st oil change two days ago) and I see a line that sits really low on the passenger side. There's a junction in it, but this does not appear to be the actual drain cock.

I have not gotten a service manual yet...so sorry for the basic question.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A related question??

If you install a 178 deg TStat do you have to reprogram?
Should you also reprogram the fan?

C4C5 where are you?????

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: A related question??

DJWorm said:
If you install a 178 deg TStat do you have to reprogram?
Should you also reprogram the fan?

C4C5 where are you?????
I bought my setup from Exit-28 and it comes with an auxilary fan controller. It's thermostatically controlled, so the left fan will kick on at a lower temp now.

This doesn't answer your repgrogramming question, of course.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Wes, I diden't drain it, You will loss about a guart just changeing the stat. Not that big a mess but youl have to decide if it's for you.
When changeing to the lower T/S the car will run about 178 when your moveing, if holding the temp down in trafic or at the drags is your aim you will need to turn on the fans earler. I did it with a $28 realy and manual switch in the center compartment. I went to pin 87 on the high speed fan realy. Ric

·
Registered
467 Posts
PowerShifter: Can you post more info on the "manual switch"? What kind of new relay is needed? How is it wired? etc.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dreamin, I used the painless realy #PRF-30101 24.95 from summit you will have to get a manual on/off switch to go with it. Instructions on the wireing are included with the realy. Thay also make temp controled units 200 on/185 off OR 185 on 170 off for 59.69. I loned my shop manual out and have yet to see it's return, so I can't give you detailed direction. All you need is to find a switched or unswitched(your prefrence) power source and pin 87 on the high speed realy.(if your choice is to run the high speed fans) I chose unswitched so I could run them in the stageing lanes. Hope it helps. Ric

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, Powershifter. I will probably just make sure the car is stone cold, and put a drain pan and some towels under the car. No sense in draining the entire radiator if I'm only going to lose a quart+ of fluid.

I got one of the thermostically controlled units. This one is not manual...but I'll give it a shot. It actually wires into the driver's side fan unit and that fan should kick on ~180^.

We'll see how it works.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Wes, If there is a way to add a manual switch it would be a good idea here is why. If your drag raceing, you will get the best et's if your at @170 at the water box, the car heats up fast from that point on if you don't have the high speed fans runing. At the starting line I am @178-82. If you run the fans on the run you finish @190-95. By the time your back at the lanes you can drop it back to @180 and only have to run the fans for a few minutes with it off to drop it back to 170. I have argued with some of our resident enginers over the low temps...ONLY letting you know what works for me for better et's at the track. Other texts my differ;) Ric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts