Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick story...I bought this car while TDY here in NJ, and tonight I went to the store to get some beer. Came out of the store, and the battery was totally dead; at least it seems that way. Never any signs when I started it up to GO to the store, only after I came out to go back to the room. Spent a total of about 5 minutes in the store. Anyways, call a buddy with jumper cables, no luck. Radio works, but just sits there and clicks. Now I see the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK come up and I say all kinds of cuss words. But, the steering wheel wasn't locked....could it be just a new battery? Anyways, they are towing it in the morning....

Hopefully it's just a battery, but I doubt it is. Also, not under warranty either...SUCKS!!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Sounds like the battery to me...good luck with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just don't know why it wouldn't jump start from another car....would never turn over...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Batteries can go with absolutely no warning, good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though it showed SERVICE COLUMN LOCK, do you think I should get it towed in?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Like others said, get a new battery. Mine died abruptly as well.

As far as the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK issue, you said the steering wheel did not lock??? How far did you turn it to try and see if it would lock up on you? Did you get the "PULL KEY, WAIT 10 SEC" message before the "SERVICE....." message?

Whatever the case, here is your solutions: get a new battery and install a Column Lock Bypass. The GM recall "fix" for the CL issue is worthless.

On another note, sometimes with a weakening battery, or even an almost dead one, people that have never had CL issues get them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
NavyPhrog said:
Like others said, get a new battery. Mine died abruptly as well.

As far as the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK issue, you said the steering wheel did not lock??? How far did you turn it to try and see if it would lock up on you? Did you get the "PULL KEY, WAIT 10 SEC" message before the "SERVICE....." message?

Whatever the case, here is your solutions: get a new battery and install a Column Lock Bypass. The GM recall "fix" for the CL issue is worthless.

On another note, sometimes with a weakening battery, or even an almost dead one, people that have never had CL issues get them.
All of the above--then check codes for a defective ignition switch

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...found out the battery had a bad cell...so the dealer is putting a brand new battery in it....total for the trip to the dealer, 189.00, that includes the battery and towing...not bad...I was thinking around 300 easy....thanks for all the inputs.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Stock battery is notorious for a quick death like you experienced. Changing the battery is a relatively inexpensive item, around $100 depending on the type of battery you go with.

mdbennes said:
Thanks guys...found out the battery had a bad cell...so the dealer is putting a brand new battery in it....total for the trip to the dealer, 189.00, that includes the battery and towing...not bad...I was thinking around 300 easy....thanks for all the inputs.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
given the column lock issues, I changed out my original battery when it was 2 years old.....

GM original batteries suck, no way around it.....my wife's croaked within 2 years and my S-10 beater's dumped after only 1 year :mah:

·
Registered
509 Posts
mdbennes said:
Should have gotten an Optima battery. Glad you got it resolved anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts