Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to tell a difference in stoping distance with drilled and slotted rotors? I just installed a set of "Brembo" :screwy: D/S rotors (Made by BPC) a few weeks ago and honestly I think the the stock rotors from Brazil were better. I was not looking for a performance gain just the "bling" and the zinc coating on the hats. Rotors still have a little zinc on the brakeing surface and I am hoping when it's gone my brakeing will improve a little. Has anyone had noticeable shorter stopping distance with D/S rotors? I am talking about stock calipers and pads with stock size rotors, not any type of Baer or Wilwood BBK's. Just curious. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
IMO they are for looks mostly and they less prone to fade. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Brian at the Panzer Mod party told me he races with the stock ones and they are better then D/S, I guess the upgrade just looks better, maybe it needs to be a full upgrade package to work better, like anything I guess :pp:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Did you bed the pads and season the rotors? If the braking surface still has zinc on it, I doubt it.

Sal

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stopping distance wouldn't be affected unless you went with larger rotors and or more powerful calipers (6- piston) with new pads. With racing brake pads they work much better heated up (after a few laps). I would think the set-up you have would be less prone to fade due to the D/S machining. The D/S rotors allow the gas to escape that is emitted from the pads coming in contact with the rotor, thus resisting fade. It's when these gases can't escape that the pads 'hydroplane' on the rotor and that's what fade is. :jammin:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
salvador said:
Did you bed the pads and season the rotors? If the braking surface still has zinc on it, I doubt it.

Sal
I followed one of the members reccomendations to season the rotors. New rotors with used pads and 4 days of bedding them in. Maybe that is not enough. I'll taker out for a few more runs this weekend and see if it gets any better. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
Has anyone been able to tell a difference in stoping distance with drilled and slotted rotors? I just installed a set of "Brembo" :screwy: D/S rotors (Made by BPC) a few weeks ago and honestly I think the the stock rotors from Brazil were better. I was not looking for a performance gain just the "bling" and the zinc coating on the hats. Rotors still have a little zinc on the brakeing surface and I am hoping when it's gone my brakeing will improve a little. Has anyone had noticeable shorter stopping distance with D/S rotors? I am talking about stock calipers and pads with stock size rotors, not any type of Baer or Wilwood BBK's. Just curious. :cheers:
Hey SGT PYLE,

I have the GM drilled and slotted on mine with the ceramic pads and stock calipers. I used hat covers for the rust problem. My car stops great on the street. It does not have the same initial bite as it did with stock pads, but it still stops very well. As far as better braking no I don't think so personally. As far as looks I like it a lot. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
How about some pics?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
Hey SGT PYLE,

I have the GM drilled and slotted on mine with the ceramic pads and stock calipers. I used hat covers for the rust problem. My car stops great on the street. It does not have the same initial bite as it did with stock pads, but it still stops very well. As far as better braking no I don't think so personally. As far as looks I like it a lot. :thumb:

Yea Don!! It looks great, It completes the exotic look of the Z06 :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
It also depends on if the rotors were cast with the holes, vs being drilled after casting. Drilled rotors can have a tendancy to crack under track driving.
I would say a slotted rotor with steel brake lines, a good high temp DOT fluid and a carbon pad like the Hawks or Porterfield R4, and the car will have a dramatically better stopping ability.
I used to do this in my BMWs and it was a huge difference in initial bite, distance and fade prevention.
Beyond that, you need bigger calipers, and great cooling.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
1. Holes in the rotors only lighten the rotor and only improve cooling marginally, thus delaying fade slightly. Drilled holes will increase cracking. Cast holes are prefered

2. Slots in a rotor face help outgasing thus delaying "green" fade. Slotting will increase pad wear.

Neither will improve braking torque or reduce stopping distance. In fact braking torque may be decreased by the reduced surface area and stopping distances may increase. It's a trade off.

The only way to increase braking torque and decrease stopping distance is to
- increase the agressiveness of the pad material and/or
- increase the pad size and/or
- increase the rotor size

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wouldn't expect these to improve braking. Your car stops because the calipers clamp the pads tightly around the rotor. Thus, increasing the strength of the calipers and/or using bigger rotors and pads and/or using a pad made of material that causes more friction would be the only ways to increase braking power and shorten braking distance. On either e-bay or one of this forums sponsor sites I saw some aftermarket pistons for the stock calipers for around $160. This would be a good addition if you like the look of your stock calipers or you don't want to spend big $$$ on a new big brake package.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Slotted is very worthwhile, if doing some HD driving. Helps clear out gases that can cause float between the pads and the rotors. You wouldn't notice on the street, but on the road course it will show its impact. I try to hit the road course whenever possible, so I like the slotted. Plus they do look nice.

Don't ever buy drilled rotors for HD use. Drilled serves two purposes, looks and weight savings. The rotors will be marginally lighter, appearance is subjective. However, if the holes were "drilled", and not "molded" into the rotor, they will crack under severe conditions, creating a real possible hazard.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Drilled/slotted rotors started with the aircraft industry. They were used to stop jets landing at 300 mph without fading. In the aircraft industry, the holes are cast and then cold stress relieved. Cast rotors are good for looks with todays cars but actually have less surface area for braking. If you ever look at the C5R or C6R you will see them with solid rotors. Drilled rotors are unsafe on a car as heavy as a vette and should not be used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts